X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker physics question

I'm curious about a couple things.  I've been trying to figure out how drivers are limited.  I've been having trouble finding the details with google, and I know there are a few engineers that roam around here.  

Here's what I think I know:  

The lower the frequency the less magnetic force generated by the voice coil.  Plus, lower frequency waves are larger volumes of air requiring more energy to produce.  Tweeters are limited on producing high frequency sounds due to the mass/inertia of the cone.  

I'm trying to figure out what is causing the roll off at each end of the spectrum, and how the speaker can maintain a flat response even though higher frequencies produce more magnetic force.  Is this a correct model or am I missing something?  What about the construction of the driver gives it a flat or curved response? 

Thanks.

There are many, many more variables involved.

LF driver LF limits are governed by the driver's raw linearity, the effects of the box's air mass, how this air mass is manipulated, and the area of the baffle. 

There are also linearity issues relating to midrange (above say 100Hz) that are a function of the cone geometry, stiffness, weight, VC inductance, magnetic flux modulation, etc.

HF drivers HF limits are a function of diaphragm mass, stiffness, motor strength, dome geometry, diaphragm phase management, VC inductance, throat geometry, horn flair, etc.

If it ws simple (and cheap), there would be lots of flat speakers.

Comment

• Pro Sound Guy
      Pro Sound Guy commented
      Editing a comment

There is a few ways to skin a cat with servo feedback

• dboomer
      dboomer commented
      Editing a comment
      Get the grant and we'll spend it on research(beer).

• Pro Sound Guy
      Pro Sound Guy commented
      Editing a comment

Micro Brews no doubt

Beer, the ultimate servo system, output proportional to input and minimal processing required!

Comment

• Craig Vecchione
      Craig Vecchione commented
      Editing a comment

agedhorse wrote:
      Beer, the ultimate servo system, output proportional to input and minimal processing required!

Beer. Is there anything it can't do?

• dboomer
      dboomer commented
      Editing a comment

Craig Vecchione wrote:

agedhorse wrote:

Yes ... and for that we have WD40 and duct tape 

• Craig Vecchione
      Craig Vecchione commented
      Editing a comment

dboomer wrote:

Craig Vecchione wrote:

agedhorse wrote:

Yes ... and for that we have WD40 and duct tape 

Well played, sir. Well played.

Working...
X