Portable stages?

amx13

• Members

I wonder how you guys handle the stage moving. I think a stage, even a small one, adds to the overall presentation of the show. I got myself one with a help of a carpenter, and even as small as it is (only 6x6 ft aprox) its just heavy as hell, making it a real pain in the @

• Members

I was actually thinking about a riser of sorts not for the two of us but for me when I am playing the cajon. Both me and my partner play standing up but in the songs I play the cajon I am basically sitting down and in most bars or private parties, there is no stage so I fall beneath crowd eye level...a riser of some sort would help immensily if it doesn't add a lot of weight and bulk to my gear.

Will follow thr thread!

Rod

• Moderators

think: taller stool, Rod... ;)

Part of the attraction (to me, at least) of working in small format is the decrease in gear, so the thought of providing my own stage is anathema to the process.A 6x6 plywood panel with a frame and supports is going to be more than I would want to deal with...but, years ago in one venue, we actually built a stage and a drum riser (we were the houseband)...but for casual solo/duo, nah, get a tall stool...

• Members

Not to sit on...when I play the cajon I sit over it, a short drum instrument that is shorter than an average chair...that's what I am looking to rise a bit...it would be tought to balance a cajon on a bar stool with me on top! :)

http://www.americanmusical.com/ItemList--Cajon-Drums--m-1191?src=Y1010NMSA2000000&utm_source=msa&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=non

Rod

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Have thought about a "break-down" stage, but I'd want it to be somehow easily and quickly assembled/disassembled and haven't figured out something that'd work, and, like you, don't want to haul around something that's all that heavy, so I just make do w/ whatever is available.

Actually, I have built a couple of ones but still have no success on making one that easy to transport. The first one I got made was a one piece stage (Its obvious that I didnt think things over when I got t made :facepalm:)... it take 2 people to move around, and even still is a pain in the $%& to get it moving .....so now its mostly my "rehearsal" stage: (Sorry for the crappy pics)

IMG_0176.jpg

This is how it looks like with the stage lights on:

IMG_0167.jpg

So the second time around I got ione made with the same dimension but in 4 pieces that can be joined with metal clamps, that one I can carry around by myself, but its still on the heavy side and it takes a huge space on the back of the truck, so even though is a bit better, its still not a practical solution:

IMG_0175.jpg

Anyway, last weekend we got the 2 of them side-by-side and its such a great feeling to play on them, I dont know...feels like a more "professional" approach than just standing at floor level

• Moderators

thinking beyond the box...I suppose you could piano hinge the floor sections and add a locking bolt underneath so they would fold over, and just have screw-in pipe legs (or pop-out locking casters)...hmmm, then just add a dark cloth 'skirt' around the edge attached with velcro...

still, 3/4" plywood ain't light...maybe 'wonderboard' ?

Obviously there should be a way to do this efficiently, cost effectively and with a light weight material that is adequately rigid.

• Moderators

Both are interesting solutions, but size and weight are two considerations neither really addresses...the first one, I like the hinging and the interlock, but it still stacks up to a fairly good amount of 'board feet' and may be 3x overkill as far as structural support. I think, if it were me, I would have gone twice the length with hinged ends on both ends; still fairly clever, but I have to wonder about the weight of that case when full.

The second one breaks down flatter, but I see no advantage weight or size wise...there is a lot of board there, even with the cutouts. Plus, I would like to have seen him bounce around on it, since the top panels didn't look to be secured well.

• Members

Both seem pretty easy to move around, so they might work!

THe 1st stage is interesting, and the fact that it can be carried around in it's own road case is clever, but you'd (a) have to own a fullsized truck or cargo van to carry it and the rest of your gear, and (b) it would be difficult to travel w/ and set up/tear down if you worked solo.

Like the design of the 2nd stage, but agree that it got a lot of board feet involved, and would prefer the top to be joined in the center edges via a piano hinge or similar. And, the same issues as Design #1, in terms of transporting it...neither would be feasible to the solo act that gigs out of a 4 door sedan or econo-box.

Wonder if either design could be made stronger/lighter from fiberglas or some sort of a carbon fibre (which would likely make the price prohibitive...otoh, a friend works at a company that makes camper shells, so I'll shoot this idea past him and see what he can suggest, if anything).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've often thought of getting a relatively sturdy card table and cutting the legs off at about 10 inches and using that as a quick-to-set-up portable stage when I get to the gig and I'm on the floor in the corner.

Not sure how safe it would be, but, hey...how bad could it hurt falling 10 inches?

My other idea, that I've actually built, is the bucket stilts I use when I do my (in)famous Kilt on Stilts act. Two metal 5 gallon buckets with straps through holes drilled in the bottom. Strap them on and you're 18 inches taller. You can even walk around with them on if you take it slow.

• Members

Portable stage just wouldn't work for me. I'd grow weary of the extra load-in and -out time. Some gigs all I need is an acoustic guitar and my voice.

It can be a good idea to mark off your "stage" using a rug or even just some gaffers tape. Rug is too much extra to carry, but gaffers tape fits easily in my gig bag. Bright colors work best.

tumblr_lfhufztfl01qfvnux.jpg

Archived