Where Do You Play?

Sgt. Rock

• Members

I play mostly joints that are combo restaurants and bars

This is what I do for the most part. There aren't many true "bars" around these parts, mostly restaurants/bars that turn into bars later in the evening. Most of my stuff is early evening. I don't like to work that 10-2 shift.

In addition to restaurants, I play a couple of wine bars, farmer's markets, hotel lounges, and a few private parties (live for those!).

• Members

RE: Senior Center songlists....The 1920's and 30's songs are out...40's almost gone,late 50's and 60s are gaining.Its math.Average age in there is around 75.So....Hello,Mustang Sally!Plus,most of the workers are in their 30's and 40s,and you can slip in 70's and 80's stuff.The main thing is:Keep it upbeat.

They can sleep the other 23 hours of the day.

• Members

RE: Senior Center songlists....The 1920's and 30's songs are out...40's almost gone,late 50's and 60s are gaining.Its math.Average age in there is around 75.So....Hello,Mustang Sally!Plus,most of the workers are in their 30's and 40s,and you can slip in 70's and 80's stuff.The main thing is:Keep it upbeat.

The senior gigs I do still request a few songs from the 20s and 30s, but the 40s through the 60s are pretty much the main thing.

• Members

Seriously? I do a boat load of 50's and 60's songs. Actually, to me, the 50's songs are the most fun to play. I ought to look into playing some senior centers - I live in Florida, for pete's sake! There are probably 80 places I could play within 20 miles of my house. I think I'd need to add some more 50's songs but that's doable.

I'm glad you mentioned that. I'm going to look into it.

• Members

The duo plays

Taverns:
http://www.macstavern.net

Pubs:
http://www.connollysirish.com/

Restaurant Bars:
http://www.chefspaletterestaurantandbar.com/

Lots of private parties, especially around the holidays.

And starting next weekend, full band gigs here:

ar123964212193585.gif

That's beautiful. Is that in Raleigh? I've been to Raleigh briefly... beautiful city. My friend lived there for a while and loved it, though he hated the company he was working for. Some french-owned computer software company, can't remember the name.

• Members

That's beautiful. Is that in Raleigh? I've been to Raleigh briefly... beautiful city. My friend lived there for a while and loved it, though he hated the company he was working for. Some french-owned computer software company, can't remember the name.

That is the Blue Water Grill at Wrightsville Beach (Wilmington area) on the Intercoastal Waterway. It is a couple of hours away from Raleigh.

Some friends have a regular gig there and needed a new lead guitarist. When I found out they only play there on Sunday evenings 4-8 (and I hardly every play Sundays around here) I figured it would be fun & a good reason to see family there more often.

• Members

Seriously? I do a boat load of 50's and 60's songs. Actually, to me, the 50's songs are the most fun to play. I ought to look into playing some senior centers - I live in Florida, for pete's sake! There are probably 80 places I could play within 20 miles of my house. I think I'd need to add some more 50's songs but that's doable.

I'm glad you mentioned that. I'm going to look into it.

You are in solo gig heaven!!.Also Ive got some friends that live in "The Villages" down there in Florida.

There are a LOT of gigs there.

• Members

Bar/Restaurant combos, outdoor festivals and markets, coffee shops.

How do you go about getting private party type gigs? We would like to start doing some of that.

First, figure out your target audience. Will your act play well to a big BBQ bash, wedding, corporate event, or house party? They all require different approaches & musical styles. IME not many acts can cover all of these equally well.

- Work through a manager/promoter. We don't, but it is probably the easiest & least time consuming option.

- Network like a SOB. My duo partner is really good about this.

- Give your business card out to everyone who expresses even the least interest in your music, especially at your gigs. Playing private parties has been our biggest source of playing private parties: "You guys played the Christmas party for my wife's job. We'd like you to play ours this coming December."

• Members

i live in SW Florida along the beach

yacht clubs,

golf course country clubs,

and when in the season, i play the mobile home parks.

some are dinner/dances, some are concerts

i'm usually done by 10pm

the money is 3x better there

no bars, or outdoor venues, and very little animal clubs (eagles, elks, moose, etc) i've weeded these gigs out because of low pay

Archived