Oldster doing Youngster music?

richardmac

• Members

Since we already have a thread about those lazy musicians who use lyric sheets (of which I am one,) I'm curious as to the reaction to THIS one...

There are lots of folks in their 40's to 60's who do solo/duo gigs. I want to know how many of us oldsters are including modern hits in our sets. I'm talking about Adele, Katy Perry, Bon Iver, Bruno Mars, Maroon 5, and so on.

I've seen a guy in his 60's do "Moves Like Jagger" and to be honest with you I was embarrassed for the guy. It just plain didn't work. It sounded silly.

So when DOES it work, how do you decide if you can or can't do a song, and how do you know that you don't look silly doing it?

• Moderators

I don't think the issue is the musician, necessarily, but in the case above, was it his inability to make it work, or that the material was just too lame (because, let's face it, most of the modern stuff is pretty weak)?

I see nothing wrong with playing 'modern' pop/rock if the audience average age skews below thirty...that is what entertainment is about: reading the audience and giving them something they will like. But, by the same token, I would also need to be thinking the opposite direction...and be able to play material that would appeal to the audience if the age skewed into the 70s/80s as well (which, fortunately, I can ;) )

• Members

Good topic. I play in a duo and we are both 'experienced' musicians. In fact we call ourselves the Elderly Brothers. We play a lot of the tried and true duo stuff. But, I find that of all the folks we know in the single/duo realm we play more newer material and newer newer material than even the youngest performers. We play Decemberists, Mumford and Sons, Citizen Cope, OAR, Shins... The venues we like the best are the one's with a good age mix of clientele where we can play different things that connect with different people. It's great when someone who has been singing along with an Eagles song or a Cars tune will ask us during the break about one of the newer tunes like 'Sideways' or 'Down By The Water'. There's more good current music out there than a lot of people think and when they hear it in the right context they respond to it. We play a couple of original tunes per set and the ultimate compliment is when someone asks 'Who does that song? I like it.' about one of the originals or 'Did you write that? It's a nice song.' about one of the covers they haven't heard before.

• Members

Wanna do newer songs acoustically and make it work? CHeck out Boyce Avenue on you tube or Itunes...pretty much define how to do it, they are great! Since we have the same format with cajon and guitar I have referenced them for ideas a lot!

Rod

Exactly, this guys really "make it work" by making the songs their own, instead of trying to replicate the originals... (they miss the mark with their U2

• Members

Since most solo acts are pretty laidback, it's not likely to have the energy/intensity of the original version anyway.

If the crowd can recognize it, I'd say "making it your own" would be your best bet.

I wanna add "California Waiting" by KOL to my list.

• Members

As I played a happy hour gig in my usual place, the night band came in. They were about 16 years old. I told my friend "we're going to see the future of rock right here." Wrong. They played Zep, Stones, Chuck Berry and the Who all night long. I then realized that as long as I put the song over -- and I do -- I can play anything I want. Last night, a few gals from the local college came in. They wanted me to play Love Shack. I don't know it. So I played Jason Mraz, Black Eyed Peas and Lady Gaga (on acoustic guitar, natch). Went over just fine. If you can't pull off the song, any song, it's never going to work for you. I agree that it is very helpful to play songs that everyone knows and songs that are on the radio today (or in the last few years). Green Day goes over big, too.

• Members

Our band steers away from such situations. We're happily stuck in the 60's-80's. I just feel stupid playing modern stuff as a 51 year old musician. I salute those of you who can do it. It's getting close to the point where we may turn to playing blues/jazz numbers. Don't want to stop playing but I got to feel comfortable with what I'm doing.

• Members

in my opinion, good music is simply good music... done well it is timeless and age less... i agree with crustee that making it your own is the key... to doing anything... if you want to hear it the way it is on the album i'll give you a buck and let you play it on the jukebox...

Archived