Getting started...suggestions?

MusicalSchizo

• Members

Hey guys...I play in my power trio, but I've been wanting to do a solo acoustic (or duo, if I found the right partner) thing for quite some time now and I just was curious if any of you can give me some pointers on getting shows doing this.

I'm talking about the happy hour crowd or the weeknight residency thing. I know I've got the talent and showmanship to do it, because I front a successful band and I've been playing in bands for years both on bass and guitar.

My big issue is that I've never been the guy who books the shows in my bands, so I don't really know how to start. Can anyone give me some advice - especially guys who play around Austin, TX?

I'd appreciate it greatly... :)

Brian V.

• Members

Make a CD of you doing a few songs that you can do the best. Pass them around.

And yeah, equ helps.

I just got a TC Helicon Voicelive 2... It's amazing. It gives you tons of confidence when you don't have others singing with you.

And a Boss looper is a nice, helpful piece of equipment as well.

• Members

Make a CD of you doing a few songs that you can do the best. Pass them around.

And yeah, equ helps.

I just got a TC Helicon Voicelive 2... It's amazing. It gives you tons of confidence when you don't have others singing with you.

And a Boss looper is a nice, helpful piece of equipment as well.

Isn't that Voicelive 2 like $800?

I'm here to tell you that you don't NEED fancy effects or equipment to be successful at the solo thing. That being said, everyone has their own approach.

I've been averaging about 10 shows a month over the summer. I have a pretty good PA system, but nothing fancy. I don't use any effects (other than reverb at the mixer). No loopers. No pitch correction. No vocal harmonies from a box. I'm just an average rhythm guitarist and an average singer.

I know another guy who is solely guitar and vocals with what most here would consider a sub-par PA. He is one of the most in-demand and highest paid acts in town.

Then, on the flipside, there's another guy that I've heard a couple of times. He gets drunk, wanks with his loop pedal for what seems like an eternity, hardly sings, and plays mostly unrecognizable songs. He gets booked all the time, too. :confused:

To me, having a good setlist is key - songs people recognize and want to hear. The occasional oddball rarity is fine. Be prepared and versatile enough to play to different audiences.

• Members

I appreciate all the beginner suggestions, but apparently you guys didn't know that I'm not a beginner. I was just looking for suggestions at how to approach venues and maybe some ideas at which types of places to approach. Sorry I wasn't more clear on that.

The demo suggestion was good, and of course you want to practice (duh), plus the set list one, too, but I already have really good equipment (Larrivee acoustic-Digitech JamMan Stereo-Digitech VL4-Plenty of good-sounding PA Stuff) - I've been performing live in bands for a long time, so the show part of it doesn't really concern me at all. I actually have watched enough successful solo acoustic guys to know what works and what doesn't and I've got a great song list planned. It's not really the performing part that I'm worried about - I've got that locked down.

Thanks for all your replies!

Brian V.

• Members

I appreciate all the beginner suggestions, but apparently you guys didn't know that I'm not a beginner. I was just looking for suggestions at how to approach venues and maybe some ideas at which types of places to approach. Sorry I wasn't more clear on that.

The demo suggestion was good, and of course you want to practice (duh), plus the set list one, too, but I already have really good equipment (Larrivee acoustic-Digitech JamMan Stereo-Digitech VL4-Plenty of good-sounding PA Stuff) - I've been performing live in bands for a long time, so the show part of it doesn't really concern me at all. I actually have watched enough successful solo acoustic guys to know what works and what doesn't and I've got a great song list planned. It's not really the performing part that I'm worried about - I've got that locked down.

Brian V.

This morning I started another thread about this very subject - How To Book. Hoping to solicit some advice from everyone on the board.

Personally, my two biggest sources of gigs are networking and CL. The networking piece is great. You may not realize it, but you probably have friends or work associates that know or deal with employees or owners of places to play. Personal recommendations are probably the best way to get a gig. Demos, setlists, and such are just a formality at that point. As for CL, I just keep an eye on the Musicians and Talent sections. There are routinely places looking for acoustic acts - it's just a matter of responding with good materials. I've booked a lot of gigs that way.

I've booked a few gigs by walking in the door with a promo pack, but that usually hasn't been very consistent for me.

• Members

Brian V.

OK, you seem to have what it takes. The next thing I would suggest is figuring something out that separates you from the rest. A good rap, dress style etc..

• Members

I've found success in a lot of restaurants that change into bars. I generally get $150 plus a meal for a couple hours of performing.

Typically, the Mrs and I will go eat somewhere that has live music for the dinner crowd. After the meal I will approach the manager offering my services plus several references. I have about a 50% success rate so far. Always, Always, Always, Always have a card,press kit,whatever you use handy! I've gotten several gigs being at the right place at the right time WITH my credentials.

• Members

Good advice in this thread! I've been ignoring craigslist - I need to look into that.

I'm one of those guys who has a hard time rattling door knobs - I'm a good candidate for a booking agency. I signed with one a long time ago but they didn't get me any gigs so I quit them. But there's more out there so I probably need to try a different one. Some venues have a contact email on their website for bands who want to play there, and I've done that, but it worked one time out of sixty. I advertise on Google, and that's expensive. I would estimate that for every $50 I spent, I make between $150 and $200. So on the bright side, it works, but on the dark side, it's pricey. And you can't get good results by dumping in ten bucks at a time. The minimum you'd want to invest is $50 per month. I will continue to do it, because it's good for a gig a month, but I wish it didn't cost so much.

Archived