Booking Gigs - How You Do It

Howie22

• Members

Just wanting to start a discussion here to see how everyone goes about contacting new venues and getting gigs. I think we all could probably learn a little from each other about the "business side" of performing, and it will hopefully be a good resource for new guys in the market. A few things to think about:

-Where do you get leads on new places?

-Call, Email, or In-person visit?

-Hard Press kit and demo? what does it consist of?

-Online Press kit? what does it consist of?

-Agent?

For me, I have a hard press kit which contains some basic info about the type of music I play, venues I have played, press, songlist, flyer, business card, and demo. I have a good friend who is a graphic designer, so I threw down some $$$ and had them design a logo, business cards, flyers, etc. I did get a good "friend" rate, but I think having professionally done promo materials is a worthwhile investment.

The online version is a PDF file with the same info and songlist, with a link to my website for the demo. No flyer or business card.

Though I've done quite a bit of it, I've not had a lot of success with the whole cold calling in person thing. I have seen a few gigs pan out that way. Honestly, the majority of places I play have either come through a networking referral or through Craigslist. A lot of you may laugh at the CL thing, but in my area venues are frequently placing ads looking for talent.

So, what are your tactics?

• Members

I book 90% of my shows by playing the venue first with my full band. Then i casually tell the owner i can also do acoustic shows during the week for a cheaper rate. Many of my other shows come from being out on the town and seeing an acoustic act on stage then i ask for a manager and tell them i have a similiar sound and set list to the act currently playing and a large following due to playing around town with my band. Then i slip them a business card and demo cd and the rest is history.

• Members

I find I do better to just call to make an appointment w/ the decision-maker at the venue, then take my acoustic guitar and play 'em a tune or two...whenever possible, I try to arrange it so that I can be heard simultaneously by whatever patrons are there at the time, as audience response can make a very positive impression.

Carry promo kits with me, in my vehicle, but almost never use one.

• Members

Do you hire live music?

no

Do you ever think about Maybe having live music here?

no, dont need it

Its not a matter of NEED its a matter of WANT .

WE DONT WANT IT ,THERES THE DOOR GET OUT NOW !

ok,thank you ,heres my cd and card in case you change your mind

if you dont get out now ...ok

( go through this 100 times and get a few gigs ,say, 6 ,..out of those you might get 1 where you can play every weekend . Wear that out till they get totally sick of you and go through it all again .

• Members

I agree with all the above....used hard press kits, done free auditions, and worked with booking agencies. My latest gig grabber is "Gig Salad"....an online website that aloows you to have a free account and pay NO commission to anyone. Simply set up the account, answer the questions, and then watch your E-mails come in telling you about specific gigs. Best thing to do is call right away and establish the personal contact, then E-mail the particulars. Best gigs I've done this year have been through Gig Salad...hey, it works for me!

Archived