Do You Ever Play Sick?

Sgt. Rock

• Members

Many times.

Just last week I had a bum knee. I was supposed to be on crutches but I thought it might freak the owners out. Had to play four days straight in a variety of jobs - it was hard to focus on Tylenol 3's.

I've also played with penicillin induced hepatitus (drug reaction), had a fever of 102 or 103.

Let's see, then there was the time when I was on crutches up in Whistler ski resort, or on the road and discovered I had mono, or the time I played three gigs in one day (I never do that) with a torn arm ligament.... okay, cue the violins.

• Members

Not for a long time, but I HAVE played gigs while violently ill. But I always subscribed to that old showbiz adage that "The show must go on!"

That said, I have luckily never been in a position to crap or puke on stage, but I DO remember a gig where I completely lost my voice the day before. I (and the band) was prepared to go full-on "Satriani" and I would just play all the songs as melodic instrumental rockers, but I made enough of a recovery an hour beforehand to do a decent job singing that night, so problem solved.

• Members

Worst time for me was about 2-1/2 years ago, when I got T-boned by a drunk gal driving while talking on her cell phone...pretty stove-up and my back and left leg were in agony, but I had a 3-nighter to do.

A couple days later, the hair-line fracture in my leg gave out and now I have a steel-pin in my leg...tons-o-fun at the airport! :eek:

• Members

I certainly try not to, and haven't had to in a long, long time. Luckily I take much better care of myself now than I used to, so hopefully this will never be an issue.

A few years ago I got sick the day before a gig and called a buddy to fill-in for me. I would probably do that again if necessary.

• Members

i usually lose my voice for about 2 weeks. it is usually during the busy season. i play more instrumentals now, so i can get thru the gig. i also have my main songs lowered to 4-5 notes down so i can still sing those tunes no matter how bad my voice is.

food poisoning has happened to me a few times over the past 20+ years. when i feel like i'll be sick on stage, i excuse myself and put on some music.

i've had physical injuries that happened to me. i deal with it.

even with vertigo (had it for 6 months)

pinched nerve in neck (lost feeling in my fretting hand for 10 months)

dislocated ring finger on fretting hand

even had a squirrel bite on index finger (i HAD a pet squirrel) had to get several stitches and a splint on that finger. it was tough to play guitar and piano, but i did the best i could.

never cancelled a gig. i just deal with it and grit it out.

currently, i've got an irritated nerve pinched in the ball of my foot. cant stand on it for very long. i sit as much as i can, but i cant sit while setting up and tearing down. i'm going in tomorrow morning for a cortizone shot in my foot. should be fun. i'll be ready to gig this weekend.

• Members

I have played sick, definitely. There are only three reasons I'd cancel a gig because of being sick - if I had diarrhea, if I couldn't stop puking, or if my voice was totally gone.

Me too. Fortunately I don't get sick too often. But I have played with some pretty bad colds. I'm proud of my work ethic though. I have played 4,000+ gigs over 25+ years, I have missed a gig twice, due to laryngitus, as I could not squeak out a sound or note.

Actually I forgot, I might be lying. There were two or three other gigs I missed after childbirth. But those clubs were on notice that if I went into labor, that was the deal. Came back to work 2 weeks after giving birth.

• Members

I realize I am lucky in that I have never been violently ill when I had a gig scheduled. Certainly not meaning to offend any of you who might have HAD to cancel. People do get sick. It happens. I have been lucky, but I am proud that I don't take cancelling lightly, too. I have definitely played on some days where I would probably have been better off in bed. But I did my best!

I did cancel a few other gigs once, now that I am thinking back but this one was pretty ... excuseable. If you break 14 bones in a horrible car accident, I figure you can cancel a few dates, right? (Awful but true ... I guess I'm lucky to be alive)

• Members

Yes I have played when ill but this was when I played in a cover rock band and only played guitar and sang backup vocals. This has not happened to me yet as a solo act. I have only been playing as a solo act for a short time and have not done many gigs as one either. I did perform in an acoustic blues duo for a few years but don't recall doing any gigs while being sick. Maybe a cold but nothing worse.

That being said...One time in the band we were playing one of the local rock clubs, I had a case of strep throat and it felt like I was going to gag and puke everytime I tried to sing harmony. At another band gig I had a rather high fever and diarreah and had to run to the bathroom in between sets. Thank god for Imodium....:lol: I am sure I have played ill other times but it's been many years and my old memory is not so good. ;)

• Members

Headcold/upper respiratory crud sick? Sure. Been a while, but I'll med up and get through it.

102 fever, severe flu sick. No. Fortunately, that one has never kept me from a gig.

I did miss 5 months of gigging in 2007 due to losing my voice. It was GERD.

• Members

This past winter I played a gig sick. I felt fine going to the gig, other than my voice felt a little "off" doing my warmups in the car. So, I stopped at a grocery store and picked up a box of lemon hot tea to sip on while I was playing.

As the gig progressed, I just felt worse and worse. Just kind of out of it, and coughing like crazy during songs. I got home and sure enough, I was running a fever! Can't believe they hired me back after that performance.

I played another gig a few weeks later with a head cold. Not my best performance, but I got through it.

• Members

I've played more than a few gigs with colds and flu, and they're no fun at all, especially with a raging fever, free-flowing sinuses, and a hideous voice. I've only cancelled one gig in 30+ years because of illness -- I was just too sick to get out of bed. And I was back on stage the very next night.

The worst nights were gigs I played: 1) while a kidney stone was trying to make its way out of my body; 2) the six weeks it took my cracked ribs to heal after a fall off of a bicycle. It's just no fun singing or humping gear in excruciating pain.

Back in the old days, when I was young, an older entertainer told me that we musicians never call in sick. Calling in dead was the only legitimate excuse.

:rolleyes:

Archived