Engaging the Crowd/Getting the Crowd Going

Howie22

• Members

There are a couple of threads going in the BWTB forum on this topic, but in my mind, the scenario is very different for the solo or duo guy.

Most of the time, we are playing earlier in the evening, and in more of a restaurant or pub environment where people are seating (and sometimes eating), and not a late night club with a dance floor.

So, what are some of the things you do to engage the crowd. How do you turn it into a party?

• Members

I used to hire a solo guy for my club and he was very good at engaging people just by talking and telling stories so during the dinner periods hewas not only dinner music but also a storytellers of sorts, people loved him!

I am not that engaging so I have to rely on getting the crowd in by singing and eye contact, once I connect with a few people then it's easy since they mostly stay with you and as you play along with them, more people get into it. I work hard at talking to people and keeping them engaged but it's work for me, it is natural for the guy I mentioned before.

Also pay attention to what songs get peoples interest and stay in that area of music untill you have them, hook, line, and sinker!

Rod

• Members

I'm a historian and usually tell stories and provide cultural/historical context for the music we play (old blues). Every so often if we are in a venue where we end up being essentially background music or bar noise, I will refrain. We also tell jokes sometimes and try to get audiences to sing along. Like some others on this thread, we also try to read the audience, see what they are responding to. Even though we play blues only, there is a wide variety of styles that we can draw from.

• Members

Some folks that play are just not very animated. I have a tendency to be very upfront, bright eyed and speaking clearly and directly to the crowd. You could say I demand they pay attention to me. If I see someone who is not I will single them out and start a conversation with them. We both laugh and so does the crowd. Take no prisoners. :D

Archived