Recommend for me some lighting

Telecruiser

• Members

I have always relied on the provided lighting which sometimes can be a couple of white flood lamps. I am thinking about investing in my own lighting equipment. I have heard the best way to go is LED. That's fine but what do I get for a single or duo? Sizes, colors, etc. etc.. BTW, as you can tell, I know nothing about lighting.:)

• Moderators

try the lighting forum...there are a number of real experts over there.

I can say that the newer LED units are lighter, draw less current, generate less heat and give great options for color, and digital control. We use them for video shooting, along with some older incandescent lighting units (Par cans, spots, etc,) and the LEDs are a joy to use.

• Members

It also depends on the kind of music you play. If you play some up-beat music for dancing, some audio-rythmic effects that illuminate the dance floor would be nice ( I remember Rod put up some pics of a water effect that look awsome), but if you play mostly ballads and soft tunes, a "wash" LED lamp that only focus on the performers would be better

• Members

They make really nice single trees with a single bar of led light built into one chassis for each tree. or just use one tree. They have have a chaser pack for one chord hook up needed and a black out or minimum light setting for mood. a couple of music stands with reading lights on them and you are set.

You could put small can on the floor around the speakers and monitors if you wish for more mood. Great for taking the solo acts to the next level. All of this is very easy easy and very cool to the touch. there is one more LED strip that can be put in the back that switches color for theatrical mood behind you. Look at Sweetwater and Guitar Center on line for ideas.

Archived