Where do you live and are you seeing more Track acts wanted than Acoustic?

sventvkg

• Members

All these backing tracks threads got me thinking, maybe track acts have finally come into their own much like DJ's a decade ago. I always did mostly acoustic solo/duo work and had so much work, I only chose to use tracks for one lucrative gig. That said, I was wondering if you're seeing more track acts getting hired in your area than acoustic? I wonder if we can uncover a trend.

In my area, Nashville it's lots of acoustic writers rounds and original..NO PAY:( AVOID it if you're trying to make short term gig money..

• Members

I'm in Los Angeles, so you can't throw a rock without hitting 3 or 4 acoustic singer/songwriters. Seems like the in, hipster thing to do, you know? :o

So other than some guys at the local dives, sitting at a bar table phoning in lackluster karaoke vocals to bad midi tracks, I haven't seen very many acts using backing tracks.

My solo shows, my philosophy is that I'm the one putting on the show, not the computer. The backing tracks only provide sonic support for what I'm doing to entertain and engage the audience. Everyone who sees my shows "gets it", and I have never had one person, musician or not, say a single negative word about what I do. I figure in this jaded city of hyper-critical hipsters full of their own false sense of entitlement, that's got to be some kind of record. :lol:

The day I phone it in and let my backing tracks pick up the slack, somebody just shoot me.

• Members

I have yet to see a solo or duo here in the Hudson Valley that uses tracks. That said, I don't get out to see too many acts up here. The acoustic thing seems to be picking up steam though, and in Poughkeepsie the original acts look like they've found a niche.

• Members

around here, the acoustic solo duo acts are in the beach bars and tiki hut places. dont see many backing track acts there. the bars dont pay more than $150/night. they want music to listen to, and not really to dance to.

the places that pay more usually hire the backing track solo and duos. they pay $250-400/night. they expect people to dance.

i'd say the ratio of acoustic acts vs backing track acts is 80/20. you can play everyday here if you have an acoustic solo act. you'd just have to play more days to equal the pay in the backing track places

guess thats why i do backing tracks.

• Moderators

I'm in Los Angeles, so you can't throw a rock without hitting 3 or 4 acoustic singer/songwriters. Seems like the in, hipster thing to do, you know?
:o

So other than some guys at the local dives, sitting at a bar table phoning in lackluster karaoke vocals to bad midi tracks, I haven't seen very many acts using backing tracks.

My solo shows, my philosophy is that I'm the one putting on the show, not the computer. The backing tracks only provide sonic support for what I'm doing to entertain and engage the audience. Everyone who sees my shows "gets it", and I have never had one person, musician or not, say a single negative word about what I do. I figure in this jaded city of hyper-critical hipsters full of their own false sense of entitlement, that's got to be some kind of record.
:lol:

The day I phone it in and let my backing tracks pick up the slack, somebody just shoot me.

***loads 12 GA*** ;)

Actually I am finding it harder and harder to find live music in the northwestern reaches of LA...with the economy in the tank, a lot of places that used to have solo/duo acts have axed them...I think this will swing back the other way in due time as the managers realize the cost vs draw is worth it...at least I hope so, since we are launching the instrumental duo next month. ;)

• Members

Raleigh NC:

Mostly full-live acts here.

A few solos/duos with loopers; some for accents & some really elaborate.

Very few use backing tracks. I've only seen one of them. Unfortunately, in their case it was clearly a "band aid" for an act that wasn't that interesting to begin with. Imagine three guys onstage playing classic "guitar rock" and when the solo comes up, the Mac takes it.

I see more of the backing tracks thing on the coast.

• Members

I don't think I've ever seen a backing track artist in my area. Lots of solo acoustic and acoustic duo.

A fair amount of looping.

I'm amazed at how many acoustic acts there are. Every time I start researching new places to play, I find out about another acoustic act, or two, or three that I didn't know about before.

Beyond that, it's full band. There are tons of "east coast beach/shag" bands in this area, and I'm sure some of them rely on backing tracks.

• Members

Melbourne, Australia

Mixture here.

When you go to pubs around Australia solo acts playing acoustic guitar are very common as are acoustic duo's. Once you start moving into club territory (places that have gaming licences for poker machines) or just the larger/more successful pubs/bars you will more likely see duo's with backing tracks. From what I see solo guys make around $150-200 a night and tracked duos around $400-500 for 4x45min sets.

Whilst the acoustic format is always popular in pubs/clubs there are definately venues and agents that will not even consider you unless you have tracks to provide a full sound. Same goes for functions. I have never been to a function in Australia with an acoustic act.

Full live bands have few venues to play in Melbourne these days and since pubs and clubs pay pretty badly most musos just try to get private function work. Original bands all are basically pay to play in some form, ie. scrounging 2-5 bands together to put on a night for door sales and cd sales which after playing the sound provider is break even at best.

• Members

that's not all that bad pay (for those who didn't know, the Austrlaian $ and US$ are pretty close in value)...***considers packing bags***

The market for live music is really dying in Australia to the point where the major agencies are struggling and only have work for a select few (read as their own bands the staff are in). In this day of cheap technology everybody thinks they are a DJ or a muso because they have a Fender Squire and some Behringer speakers. In practice this means that venues have bands offering to play for little money or in some cases free just becuase they want to get out there and be heard.

My previous acoustic duo was getting $550-$650 for three acoustic sets a few years ago and now its hard to find work period. I am seriously considering 'other' options. Just like what I am reading from the other forums here most venues now consistently hire DJs because of the cost factor. Very hard to compete with someone who has 1000's of illegal songs on their iPod and cheap speakers and no-one seems to care that the quality is @rse.

• Members

around here, the acoustic solo duo acts are in the beach bars and tiki hut places. dont see many backing track acts there. the bars dont pay more than $150/night. they want music to listen to, and not really to dance to.

the places that pay more usually hire the backing track solo and duos. they pay $250-400/night. they expect people to dance.

i'd say the ratio of acoustic acts vs backing track acts is 80/20. you can play everyday here if you have an acoustic solo act. you'd just have to play more days to equal the pay in the backing track places

guess thats why i do backing tracks.

Im in north FL and its exactly the same here. Left you in FL????? In south fl (gulf coast) it was prolly 70% tracks. Gulf Coast. Alot more older people though and in my experiences playing, the older crowd that stays out would rather have a full band sound and dance.

• Members

In this day of cheap technology everybody thinks they are a DJ or a muso because they have a Fender Squire and some Behringer speakers.

So do you think those same people would deserve the gigs if they went and bought custom shop PRS's, legally purchased music, and $100,000 PAs?

• Members

Where are you playing...I may come down some night to check you out...
:cool:

I just did a show last night at The Blinn House in Pasadena. Normally I play maybe once a week, but after last night, I don't have anything definitive booked at the moment. But if you like, I'll let you know where I'm playing next when I do book something. :thu:

• Members

that's not all that bad pay (for those who didn't know, the Austrlaian $ and US$ are pretty close in value)...***considers packing bags***

Remember we pay double for our gear even with our dollar being strong.

In my experience though an acoustic act would be pulling $200 min. I think the acoustic thing has taken over from bands here cos most pubs don't do it well. I only know one venue that does, an irish pub in essendon. They charge $10 on the door and are so packed they have to turn ppl away. No pokies. Just a warm atmosphere, footy on tv and bands and beer... Sorry gripe over!!

• Members

So do you think those same people would deserve the gigs if they went and bought custom shop PRS's, legally purchased music, and $100,000 PAs?

Well that's the point isn't it because only people who know what they're doing and are good at it invest in decent gear. How many experienced players gig with cheap and nasty gear ?

In general (not always - before people jump in and point out remote exceptions) - pro's use pro gear and like 99.9% of all things you get what you pay for. Hire a cheap act, you normally get it.

• Moderators

I just did a show last night at The Blinn House in Pasadena. Normally I play maybe once a week, but after last night, I don't have anything definitive booked at the moment. But if you like, I'll let you know where I'm playing next when I do book something.
:thu:

Definitely, PM me!

I have been looking at a few rooms in that general area (I know some folks who do Carmine's, usually bands, which is nuts, since there is no stage or room to dance there, but it would be a great room for a duo), and we (full band) used to do McGuire's... there are a number of smaller rooms, but the pay usually is terrible from what I have seen...sounds like you found a winner!

Archived