What do you use for a Tip Jar, and why?

Howie22

• Members

We touched on this in the "Do You Put Out a Tip Jar" thread, and I believe TAH has an old thread in the Acoustic forum. Figure we could use a dedicated one here.

For the past couple of years, I've been using a wine carafe like this one. . .

http://www.pier1.com/Catalog/Dining/tabid/977/List/0/CategoryID/110/level/a/ProductID/2976/ProductName/Chalk-Note-Glassware/Default.aspx

However, I've had two break in the past year. But, not the typical drunk guy knocking it over! My wife dropped one and then my son broke my second one earlier this week. So, I'm in need of a new tip jar.

The wine carafe was cool because it looks classier than a bucket or pitcher, and it keeps people from walking by and swiping anything out of it. On the other hand, it is glass, not particularly stable, and a major PITA to get the money out of!!

So, what are you using, and why?? Obviously, something that attracts the eye to stuff money into it would be cool!!

• Members

I use a big clear plastic (!) jar I found at Kmart -- discarded the lid, put a large coral rock inside to weigh it down, and put a popular local bumper sticker about loving my hometown on it. I also downloaded a high-res image of the front and back of an old collectible $50 bill, enlarged and printed both sides on some parchment paper, and use that as my "bait." I get a lot of comments on my "big money."

;)

• Members

http://funnytipjars.com/

The one that says, "Tips are just another way to say thanks for my not playing Justin Bieber"? I made one like that for my Farmer's Market gig this morning (8 - noon)...got a lot of laughs and may've gotten a few more (or bigger) tips...I usually clear around $75-80, on average at this one, today I cleared $109.

May be a coincidence, but I'll use that one @ tonight's gig, too, and see how it goes! :lol:

• Members

The one that says, "Tips are just another way to say thanks for my not playing Justin Bieber"? I made one like that for my Farmer's Market gig this morning (8 - noon)...got a lot of laughs and may've gotten a few more (or bigger) tips...I usually clear around $75-80, on average at this one, today I cleared $109.

May be a coincidence, but I'll use that one @ tonight's gig, too, and see how it goes!
:lol:

yeah, i thought that was one of the better ones myself... :D

knock 'em out tonight!

:)

• Members

I use to have a nice clear blue glass tip jar ($20) but some idiot kid broke is at a gig (the mother didn't even leave a tip).

Now I just use a cheap clear plastic cookie jar with a rock in it to keep it from blowng away.

Archived