What do you sit on?

Dingoist

• Members

*your arse, silly*

But seriously, the place I play regularly at has only two types of chairs, the regular table ones that have arm rests so you are sitting on the front edge because the arm rests really interfere with instrument playing, or the really tall bar stool chairs that your feet can't touch the ground easily to hit any kind of pedal, and getting up and down is more of a chore than it should.

So, do you play standing up? Or sitting down? Do you bring your own stool?

This is inspired because I went stool shopping earlier today to try to find a light, comfortable (padded since I broke my tailbone a few years ago, hard seats do not agree with my backside), not too tall stool to bring along to my regular gig. I found one that met with the qualities above but it swivel'd so I gave it a pass though I might reconsider. I might go looking at drum thrones tomorrow.

• Members

I play keys so I play sitting down. That and I don't feel like standing for 3 hours. I have high blood pressure and with the meds I'm on, my ankles would swell up if I stood in one spot for three hours. I own a padded folding chair, and I'll toss that in the car if I think the venue might not have a chair for me. Bought it at Target.

• Moderators

I have a folding metal stool,the harp player from our band had one, and I liked it so he got me mine, I'm not sure where...probably K-mart, or Target. it is light weight, folds pretty flat, smaller than a guitar case. not well padded though...;)

looks like this:

http://www.target.com/p/Cosco-Basic-Stool-45-Black/-/A-12759975

• Members

I stand. I feel like I sing better if I'm in a standing position. Plus, it's a little easier to move around and put more energy into your act.

I would say that it depends a lor on the song you are playing. Playing an up-tempo song sitting down would be odd, but some ballads are great for playing while you sit. For example, when we play Queen

• Moderators

I should clarify, btw, that the stool has not actually been sat upon (by me during the band gigs). I use it when I am having sciatica, and lean back on it to take the weight off my hips (and then add an arm to my mic stand). For the new duo, as I am not singing at all, I may opt to actually sit on it...:idk:

I have been standing up playing/singing for forty years, old habits die hard. But my duo parner will be seated during the entire gig (pedal steel is hard to play standing up), so it seems logical I could do the same.

• Members

i've stood for every gig i played for the past 20+ years.

but lately, i've had to sit down because of ball of foot pain. feels funny sitting since its hard for me to adjust my mixer or get the next song ready. its harder to reach the high notes. i always sing better standing.

will be getting some cotizone shots in one foot early next week. hope it works. i have 4 gigs next week and they are rockin' parties. i hate to have to sit thru them.

i've been taking a fender bar stool with me

• Members

Picked up one of the cheap walmart folding stools tonight (cost $13 plus some change).

Used to play standing up, my current gig (as I've mentioned over at CJ) is trying to get an acoustic jam off the ground. Sometimes it's a solo, sometimes a duo and if I'm lucky it's up to 4 people playing and/or singing. But how it proceeds is I've got the table mic'd (with a couple of sm57s) and a bunch of chairs about it. The bar is usually empty enough that I don't have to pull in much amplification. But we're all pretty much sitting around the tables. Now, with the loss of a few regulars to other life commitments, It's just me still playing but I am still mostly setting it up the same way to encourage others to drop in. But if I'm going to fly more solo, I'm going to make sure I'm more comfortable (the chairs at the joint have arm rests which is a pain in the buttocks).

If it becomes a pure solo gig, than I'll go standing up for the most part (it's the best for performance, I agree). I might change format as an open mic, but that's topic for a different thread.

Years ago, when I played guitar, sang backup and played harmonica (with one of those neck holders), I could only really do it for any prolonged period of time while standing up. I needed the ability to stretch my shoulders and get the extra lung capacity and move about. It was a tough gig that way, with a singer (who was pretty much only a mediocre singer but thought highly of himself), a whistle player (who only played the penny whistle), and me covering backup singing, guitar, harmonica, and what ever else was needed for the song (including some percussion on the bodhran, though not at the same time as playing guitar, I'm not an octopus).

• Members

Isn't it hard to stand for 2 or 3 solid hours?

if you are use to it, you dont think nothing of it. i like to mosey around the stage while i'm playing my instrumentals. its hard for me to sit for more than 2-3 tunes before i have to get up.

my legs and feet arent what they use to be, and i see a change coming that i dont want to do. more sitting is in my future, i may have to learn more keyboard tunes so i can sit more. :(

• Members

I stand and so does my guitar player. We are both from party band backgrounds and didn't like sitting from a presentation standpoint, and thought playing acoustic could come off more lively if we didn't sit. Maybe it doesn't make a difference, but it works for us.

• Members

For single set acoustic gigs, I count on the venue having a chair without arms. I always sit for solo acoustic. If it's a 2-3 set gig or a longish recording session, I bring this (in a carry case):

http://www.originalguitarchair.com/overview.html

There are debates on whether it's "worth the money"...but I can play for hours on it. Really comfortable.

• Members

I find it hard to believe you would have to spend $350 for a comfy chair...
:eek:

For that price it should be able to tune the guitars, set itself up, bring you drinks and find you groupies...
;)

I know. It's a lot of $$$s.

I hedged on it for a long time...but ended up saving up for and getting it. I've got a tricky lower back. Got a workout routine, but long sessions in a chair, playing in the "classical position" (hate that term...but it paints the picture) can be a strain. The chair's design addresses that problem. Single set gigs and short sessions: I'll sit on anything where my feet touch the floor...but this chair works wonders for longer gigs and practicing.

It won't tune my guitars. Won't bring me drinks, either (though I've tried that). But as for the groupies: many a young, shapely, starry eyed vixen has commented, "...hmmmm...nice chair...so solid and mighty...looks expensive, too...".

Champagne, women, and chairs...ahhhh...livin' the life. Cheers!

Archived