I'm getting two new speakers

Telecruiser

• Members

I played for years without monitors until I discovered that my partner sometimes could not hear herself sing or my guitar. Since then, we have used a monitor(s) and it has really helped her. Hope you have similar success with them. The monitors you are using would be a lot more powerful and larger than we would need for the venues we play, but will probably sound really good. If they work for you is all that matters.

• Members

I played for years without monitors until I discovered that my partner sometimes could not hear herself sing or my guitar. Since then, we have used a monitor(s) and it has really helped her. Hope you have similar success with them. The monitors you are using would be a lot more powerful and larger than we would need for the venues we play, but will probably sound really good. If they work for you is all that matters.

I may just use one of the 512's as a monitor. Two would be nice but it is just and extra piece of equipment to haul.

• Members

I may just use one of the 512's as a monitor. Two would be nice but it is just and extra piece of equipment to haul.

I have two Fender 1270 monitors (10"coaxial speaker wedges that weigh 13 lbs. each are about 13" X13"). I usually put one of these right in front on my partner's mic stand facing up at her (there is a 25 degree angle option with these wedges, which is great), and I can hear it just fine. This is a long winded way of saying that we certainly get by with one, smaller, lowered powered and lower sound quality monitor than yours. I should probably sell one of them. One of those 512s might be just right for you. Of course, I do not know enough about your music or venues to make this judgment, but I would think that one of those speakers could work well as a monitor for many duos.

• Members

I've been using a small behringer Eurolive B205D as a monitor, and for solo as the mixer as well (it's got 2 channels, 3 if you consider RCA input a channel). Good enough for vocals + guitar -- then feeding the "through" xlr out to a bigger speaker for the mains. Easily portable, and I'm trying to trim my rig from 3 trips to the car, to 2.

I can control the mix from where I'm standing or sitting :) but if I want to effectively control volume out towards the crowd I do have to go and fiddle with things, so I've been looking into smaller mixers.

I've got it mounted on a mic stand, and have been experimenting with attaching the boom mic arm to the top (it's got the threaded hole on top for that). It's been doing okay for practice, let's just see what happens if I bring it out that way and whether it's a feasible thing.

• Members

For the past 6 years I've been using a set of Etymotic Research er 6's, (not the newer 6i, closest thing in specs now is the er-4)

I've tried a lot of ie's and these are better than shure's in my opinion,ymmv... I have been running them with a Rolls WPM 61T... same unit again for the last 6 years and even though I have read unfavorable reports from "unbiased salesmen"... i mean people, about the pitfalls and inconveniences of vhf systems (told ya it was old) I haven't had one bit of trouble with it and it sounds way better than floor monitors at a much lower volume... with sound isolating ear phones you don't need high sound pressure levels and at the end of the gig you can still hear without the perpetual ringing... the whole unit; receiver, transmitter and earphones is about the size of two packs of cigarettes and weighs not much more... Will I upgrade? When it starts breaking down I will probably get the newer ER 4's and look for a digital transceiver unit but until then it's been the best $300 dollars I've ever spent on monitors... my back and my ears thank me after every gig... :)

Archived