Wedding Service (Not Reception) Songs You've Done...

RupertB

• Members

I swore off doing wedding services years ago. I did it for friends' weddings and did quite a few as paid gigs but I never felt like it was my strong suit. Some classic, some corny, a few downright wierd requests.

Some of the wedding ceremony tunes I've played:

There is Love - Peter Paul & Mary (multiple times)

Grow Old Along With Me - J. Lennon

Perhaps Love - J. Denver / J. Iglesias

Wonderful Tonight (Yes, in a church. Yes, you could tell their families hated it) :idk:

I Can't Help Falling In Love With You - Elvis

Ku-U-I-Po - Elvis

Here and Now - Luther Vandross (if white bread could sing... :o )

The Lord's Prayer

Barring an offer of "stupid money," I'm pretty sure I'm done with this sort of job. What about you? Any good stories?

• Members

In the context of playing a gig with my full band I was asked to play solo acoustic guitar during the ceremony - I had to learn the Minuet, the Wedding March, and a bunch of other stuff I'm not good enough to play cleanly. It was a pretty weak performance, but no one cared. They loved it. The bride at this wedding also requested "Green Eyes" by Coldplay and "Madeline and Nine" by Mike Doughty (which I played solo) - two songs that had absolutely no value to the band except for this gig, and we played them and the bride and groom were very touched (because they were never sure if we'd be able to get it together - we didn't have a ton of time to make it happen as it was a late request).

Brian V.

• Members

Wedding services aren't my kind of gig, but I've done it for friends on request. Last I remember, I did "Can't Help Falling in Love" for one, and "In My Life" for another.

As an incredible favor for my wife, Jonathan Cain played and sang at our wedding ceremony, including a fantastic rendition of "Faithfully". I figured that had to be weird for him, but he said it was inspiring, and went on to release a CD of wedding songs. :o

• Members

In My Life, The Wedding Song/There is Love, To Make you Feel my Love, Ave Maria (set to Bach's Prelude in C), an intrumental arrangement of the wedding march, Ode to Joy, all I can think of at the moment ...

Oh yeah, I have done Here and Now also.

And what was that Shania Twain one I once had to learn? Ah - From this Moment

Prior to ceremonies, I have played stuff like As Time Goes By, Have I Told You Lately, Run River Run, probably others ..

I have been asked to learn Marry Me by Train for a wedding coming up in Nov.

Archived