New On-Stage Memory Aid

Gary Blanchard

• Members

I guess it is age. Songs that I have played for years I have down pat, but I am having great difficulty remembering lyrics to songs that I have written in the past 2-3 years. I have been reluctantly doing the music stand thing, and wanting to find a better way. I think I've got it.

I am creating powerpoint slides of my lyrics. I will have my netbook on a little table and I have a USB foot switch coming that will allow me to switch slides without too much distraction. The pedal should arrive soon; I'll let you know how it works out. At least I'll look high tech. :rolleyes:

• Moderators

When I was taking Ginkgo Biloba I could memorize songs easily. You might give it a try.

I bought a bottle of that, but I forgot where I put it...

:badump:

I saw Amazon finally released the new Kindle Fire...I wonder if that will support scrolling music, etc...it is smaller( and cheaper) than an iPad...

• Members

I put my Yamaha powered mixer on a keyboard bench off to my right, ostensibly so I can mix sound on the fly. Actually, I'm using it as a music stand for my binder of about 300 songs. Since the binder lies flat just a little above waist height, it doesn't block anybody's view and it's easy to glance over when a senior moment strikes.

• Members

This will be the fourth time I post this picture...people really don't like the search feature much...any android tablet will run lyric pad app that costs $5 bucks, the larger tablets can be had for cheap as new models come out...I use the XOOM from Motorola and love it. This is my tablet attached to my monitor using a ram-mount.

tablet-1.jpg

Rod

• Members

This will be the fourth time I post this picture...people really don't like the search feature much...any android tablet will run lyric pad app that costs $5 bucks, the larger tablets can be had for cheap as new models come out...I use the XOOM from Motorola and love it. This is my tablet attached to my monitor using a ram-mount.

tablet-1.jpg

Rod

How much $$$$$ do you have into that ?(not the monitor)

• Members

As time goes on and your repertoire gets bigger and bigger. There is no way to remember all that music. I play jazz and alot of folk classics/ rock/ pop. You better believe I have my music stand in front of me. Thats what there made for, to use. No shame in that. What are we suppose to memorize hours of music, come on, why? If your not Brittney Spears and your not worried about your ass not being scene don't sweat it :eek:

• Members

How much $$$$$ do you have into that ?(not the monitor)

Well the XOOM tablet sells for about $500 but you can buy new or used Android based tablets for as low as $99 on Tiger Direct. I use my tablet for a lot more than just the lyrics at a gig, I am in the process of learning how to use a DJ app so that I can drop the ipod and just run break music from the tablet as well with more control over it. The mount cost $45 from ram mount.

Rod

• Members

I have my music stand in front of me...No shame in that.

Yeah, there kind of is. To me, when a musician shows up with a cheat-sheets & fake books, it shows me that they're not truly putting in the time it takes to learn a song. They didn't learn the song, they're just performing it.

It's nothing but a crutch.

• Members

Yeah, there kind of is. To me, when a musician shows up with a cheat-sheets & fake books, it shows me that they're not truly putting in the time it takes to learn a song. They didn't learn the song, they're just performing it.

I don't see the difference between this and the wedge monitor/video screen units that are used by U2, Clapton, etc...Just not quite as discreet.

• Members

I think it depends on the gig. For restaurant, wedding, service-type gigs, you need fake books etc. There are just too many songs out there. Just because you can't play a song from memory, doesn't mean that you can't play it. One can learn a song without memorizing it, and one can perform a song that is either memorized or read from a fake book (some can't do this, or understand how this is done, due to lack of a musical education).

I'd prefer that original music be memorized, but it doesn't really matter one way or the other as long as the song is good.

If stands etc are a problem, close your eyes (or don't look at the stage) and listen with your ears -- that way your eyes won't be stained by stands. ;)

• Members

FOR ME, if I can't remember chords, riffs, lyrics or melody of a song this means I am not ready to perform it. I need to be able to put all my focus and feelings into the song, and DELIVER the song.

I used to bring lyrics and kinda perform and kinda play the song to the audience... in a way.... sitting on chair, hiding behind stands with music folder and microphone etc... My work day as a musician today is way more fun and interesting! :-)

• Members

not needing any "crutch" is fine if you are performing the same 40-50 songs at every gig. unfortunately, the places i play dont allow me to play the same songs every night.

i'd sure hate to tell a person requesting a song that i cant play that song because i havent got it into memory yet. come back next week so i can have time to get it down enough to play it for you without any help.

if all i have to do is look at a few lines to get me thru the song and make that person happy, and possibly get a nice tip, thats what i'll do.

again, i carry 1120 songs with me. i know 85% of those songs and never open the book. but there is always one or two songs that i get a request for that i will glance at the lyrics pryor to starting the song, and i'm good to go.

• Members

not needing any "crutch" is fine if you are performing the same 40-50 songs at every gig. unfortunately, the places i play dont allow me to play the same songs every night.

i'd sure hate to tell a person requesting a song that i cant play that song because i havent got it into memory yet. come back next week so i can have time to get it down enough to play it for you without any help.

if all i have to do is look at a few lines to get me thru the song and make that person happy, and possibly get a nice tip, thats what i'll do.

again, i carry 1120 songs with me. i know 85% of those songs and never open the book. but there is always one or two songs that i get a request for that i will glance at the lyrics pryor to starting the song, and i'm good to go.

No, it's much more professional to ignore requests, or take that request and then only make it half way through a song before going "blah blah blah I forgot the words" during the second verse. That'll teach 'em! :idea:

:lol:;)

• Members

With a memory like that you should have a job with the CIA!!!! We play about 50 songs, have been for about 2 years and I'm lucky if I can remember 30 of them. And yes I do practice, just don't have a good memory.

• Members

How many songs on your set list? I think this is the key difference. Can your act take a request and put it on the stage in a short 3 min. pow wow on break? If you grind a 50 song set list you are going to end up knowing everything on that set list by rote. If you are swimming in a pool of 500 to 1000 songs it gets harder.

• Members

LMAO.. We're all just performing especially if you didn't write it.

• Members

With a memory like that you should have a job with the CIA!!!! We play about 50 songs, have been for about 2 years and I'm lucky if I can remember 30 of them. And yes I do practice, just don't have a good memory.

I agree with you completely, some of these guys calling written music cheat sheets, I think might have reading issues in general. People have been performing with music in front of them since the days of Bach. Schooled professionals read music and also guys who want to have a broad reptoire.

• Members

my point axactly. if you do a set of 12-14 songs, i would expect to know those songs. take a small break, get the next set together and make sure you have those in your head before starting the set. etc, etc.... this is the only way that you can go without some kind of aid.

with me, i start out with 3 - 4 songs to get the ball rolling, then i start choosing from my vast list of songs. every song i pick from then on is purely off the cuff. if a request comes up, and i have the song, i can do it. i may need to glance at the words, but i will do it. and i have confidence i will pull it off without stumbling thru the words or chords, or lead part.

also, if my throat isn't up to par that night, i can lower the key on the fly (A to G, G to E, E to D, etc) been doing it for years. i dont think nothing of it anymore. my sequencer allows me to drop the key on the fly without hesitation. this has helped me thru some back vocal nights.

now if i was doing a concert for an hour or two........everything is pre-planned.....even the little comments and jokes are part of the set. no need for lyric aids.

• Members

I have about 5-6 nights of music without repeating any songs, and I don't need any lyrics now. I thought I needed them until I once forgot the folder at home. It went suprisingly well, and the other gig I left it at home on purpose. Then I made myself a mp3-playlist with all my songs which I listen to and sing along to whenever I can. Thant means whenever I can: At work, in the car, when I work out, do housework and whenever else I can!!!

And no: I don't have a sticky brain, I just sing the songs very many times before I perform them!

Archived