No Backing Tracks Needed.

sventvkg

• Members

All my ship gigs in EU had a NO TRACKS stipulation as well as the resort and pub stuff. No one uses it over there. I just got an email from a new agent in the US who books 8 cruise lines, high end, 3-6 month contracts and they say the same thing. NO TRACKS. I never needed them and worked as much as I wanted. I guess it goes to show you truly Don't need them.

• Members

i played celebrity cruiselines from florida to alaska. i can understand why they want a solo/duo that doesnt use BTs. that way, they can move you around the ship.

decent money....a lot of hours though

make sure the contract states the hours you play. if they offer so much $ per week (salary), they can work you all over the ship, and all different hours. as many as 6-8 hours a day.

it was a great experience. glad i did it. good luck!!!

good luck

• Members

that way, they can move you around the ship.

I don't think this is the reason at all.

In my country, BT is considered cheesy and is often banned. Sometimes I'm accused of using backing (I have a very special rythmic playing style with bass lines, soloing etc..) and luckily I can unplug my guitar and prove I'm not. Otherwise I would be losing quite a few gigs.

If you use backing here, no matter if they are fat and nice, you programmed them yourself, downlod midi etc.... It doesn't matter: You are considered less musician and more of a karaoke/DJ thing. Doesn't matter if you play your own instrument, when you already cheat, how would they be sure you play at all?

Except from very young people going out for the first time and old people who don't realize that it's possible that a computer can play music, everyone I talk to give me the clear indiacation that live music is everything that is played by humans without having any sort of backing.

This may sound weird for some of you, but it's normal her in my country.

• Members

I don't think this is the reason at all.

In my country, BT is considered cheesy and is often banned. Sometimes I'm accused of using backing (I have a very special rythmic playing style with bass lines, soloing etc..) and luckily I can unplug my guitar and prove I'm not. Otherwise I would be losing quite a few gigs.

If you use backing here, no matter if they are fat and nice, you programmed them yourself, downlod midi etc.... It doesn't matter: You are considered less musician and more of a karaoke/DJ thing. Doesn't matter if you play your own instrument, when you already cheat, how would they be sure you play at all?

Except from very young people going out for the first time and old people who don't realize that it's possible that a computer can play music, everyone I talk to give me the clear indiacation that live music is everything that is played by humans without having any sort of backing.

This may sound weird for some of you, but it's normal her in my country.

Right..This is truth over in EU..

No no, I'm NOT doing the gig everyone..I have had enough boat gigs and a year of my life at sea. I {censored}ing HATE THEM!! I'll be frank, my last ship gigs on DFDS, basically ferries that went from Amsterdam to Newcastle, UK were about all I could take..I made 10K USD for a month straight, 5-6 hours a day, NO DAYS OFF! It was all I could do just to physically make it through and the food sucks, the Europeans are arrogant assholes for the most part...Cast system VERY ALIVE there despite what you hear, and musicians are LOWER then the Philippine maids...True story...Anyway, The American cruise gigs pay a fraction of that money. My buddy makes about a grand a week doing it on a US line. You have to be into that lifestyle and i'm not. Just wanted to share that tracks info with ya, that's all. :)

• Members

Did 3 years on Carnival Cruise Lines with backing tracks. Broke all-time revenue records in the small lounge on 3 different ships. In fact, we were the only duo to make more money in a week than the Disco, and we did that 3 times. CCL rewarded us with a huge, passenger sized cabin with a porthole.

But I agree, you don't need them. But then again, there is nothing wrong with them either.

BTW, my backing tracks do NOT sound cheesy. At least neither I or my audiences think so. Here's one - it's 12 bar blues (we use it for Sweet Home Chicago) so I'm not violating any copyright for posting it here http://www.nortonmusic.com/mp3/Sweet_Home_Chicago_M128.mp3 -- the one we use on stage is ripped at 192kbps and in stereo - this one is 128 mono for faster downloading/streaming.

Want to read how I did it, go to http://www.nortonmusic.com/freemp3.html

There is more than one right way to play music.

Notes ?

Archived