Other than Backing tracks, How do you "fill out" your solo act?

fingerpicker

• Members

I use a looper, a stombox,and I beatbox (a little)

Im curious what people are mostly doing for percussion. I have toyed with the idea of drum triggers because the stompbox can get pretty tiresome if you have to hit it harder.

Anyone have an "out of the ordinary" thing that you do?

• Members

I use bass and drum tracks, and when I'm in a lounge that has a grand piano, I will sometimes take a chorus or two in some blues tune like Route 66. I don't play piano all that well, but I'm good enough to fool people for a couple of choruses.

Seems to break up the guitar monotony. It also keeps the management from complaining that they spent all this money on a piano and "he's not even playing it".

Which brings up a pet peeve of mine. I played a few times in a duo at this very "fancy" hotel. They spent something like $150,000.00 on their piano (a Fazioli) but wouldn't spring for a $2000.00 PA. And the piano player I worked with said he didn't even like the piano that much. I mean why can't lounges and bars provide a small but functional PA for the room - permanently mounted and so on. Some do but not many.

Oops, got a little OT there....

• Members

I have a real full rhythm style and can also fill with lead licks. There is very little "dead air" in my playing. Having said that I do have a looper at home that I want to start working with and I also have a TC VL Touch on the way that has a looper (30 secs) in for building backing.

• Members

Being a KB player, I use a workstation and have "complete" backing tracks. I use a Digitech Vocalist Live 4 so I have harmonies in most of my songs. I have a good quality PA, amp, EQ, mixer, I sing lead and do a classic rock show. Basically, I sound like a band. The only area where I don't sound "exactly like the record" is when my lead vocals are going on when there are other background vocals coming in and out of the song. I can only sing one part at a time.

I don't want to get into "real audio" and record backup vocal parts because I would be the same as a karaoke act. That's not exactly what I had in mind when I started creating and using backing tracks. I also do some songs playing just a piano sound and singing, no backing tracks, when the gig or the moment calls for it. It depends on the gig and the occasion. I still like to play that way whenever I can. That way people can see that I can actually play all by myself. The main reason I got into backing tracks is that a solo act can get boring after awhile if the instrumentation is the same all night. When I go out I also find it difficult to sit and listen to a solo guitar player sing and play an entire evening. At some point, it becomes monotonous. So backing tracks it is.......

Cheers,

Mike T.

• Members

I totally agree with you!

The main reason I got into backing tracks is that a solo act can get boring after awhile if the instrumentation is the same all night. When I go out I also find it difficult to sit and listen to a solo guitar player sing and play an entire evening. At some point, it becomes monotonous. So backing tracks it is.......

Cheers,

Mike T.

• Members

Midi files played through a Roland arranger keyboard or a computer, a Boss RC-50 looper, a casio WK-7500 for piano, some small percussion, and a Taylor acoustic. Would love to update my arranger and looper eventually. Roland has a new box that looks very cool for backing tracks and Boss has the new RC-300 coming soon.

• Members

I totally agree with you!

And I disagree with YOU, stunningbabe (and Mike T.) :). At least to the extent that IMO, it depends on the individual musician. No doubt, many solo performers can get pretty boring playing guitar/piano unacompanied the entire evening- but not the more talented ones, IMO.

I would like to ask this question of those reading: Do you think you have be a genius ala Tommy Emmanuel/Victor Wooten/James Booker to hold an audience's attention while playing unaccompanied on a gig? I don't think so. I do think that you have to have some level of talent, and apply yourself. I think that the ones who can do that differentiate themselves, and that it is worth going for.

I do realize, however, that it is possible to be have much more raw singing talent than playing talent, and that if you fall into that category some kind of back-up is a must.

• Members

I choose to not look at it as an either/or situation. For much of my current gigging, I prefer the sound of a trio or quartet as support for my singing, but I can and have gigged countless times with just a guitar and my voice, and will do so again.

But am I somehow less of a musician because I'm embracing technology to create arrangements and a sound that I (and audiences) like, making myself less dependent on others' flaky schedules and idiosyncrasies in the process?

Painstakingly, from scratch, create your own arrangements and backing tracks to hundreds of songs and get back to me in a few years on that one. I'll wait. :cop:

• Members

But am I somehow less of a musician
because I'm embracing technology to create arrangements and a sound that I (and audiences) like, making myself less dependent on others' flaky schedules and idiosyncrasies in the process?

Nope, never said you was (less of a musician).:) I just like to see solo performers max out what they can do on their instrument in real time, given their individual raw talent as a player, and then let technology take over from there. Thats just my personal preference, and I realize most people don't give a shit. But I know that just because someone is using backing tracks, doesn't mean they are lazy as a musician, so I'm not accusing you or anyone else of that. FWIW I know some heavyweight players in my area who bring a laptop to their gigs, if appropriate.

I really have no business posting on this forum, anyway. My solo gigs usually consist of playing a piano in a corner while society people make small talk over their tea and crumpets. Vocals or backing tracks are not part of those kind of gigs, for the most part. So the only thing I can do to fill out my sound is PRACTICE and be a better musician.

It's kind of funny, though, that the OP could not eliminate backing tracks from this discussion, even though that was clearly his intent.

• Members

I tap my foot loudly, and I've occasionally used a ring shaker. Don't use
loopers
, etc.
I keep it fairly gimmick-free

:cop: Loopers are not a gimmick if you use them properly.

That being said, I use a small pedalboard with a Line 6 M9 and a Boss RC-20XL for my solo acoustic shows, and that gives me a ton of options to 'fill out' the sound.

• Members

Nope, never said you was (less of a musician).
:)
I just like to see solo performers max out what they can do on their instrument in real time, given their individual raw talent as a player, and then let technology take over from there. Thats just my personal preference, and I realize most people don't give a shit. But I know that just because someone is using backing tracks, doesn't mean they are lazy as a musician, so I'm not accusing you or anyone else of that. FWIW I know some heavyweight players in my area who bring a laptop to their gigs, if appropriate.

I really have no business posting on this forum, anyway. My solo gigs usually consist of playing a piano in a corner while society people make small talk over their tea and crumpets. Vocals or backing tracks are not part of those kind of gigs, for the most part. So the only thing I can do to fill out my sound is PRACTICE and be a better musician.

It's kind of funny, though, that the OP could not eliminate backing tracks from this discussion, even though that was clearly his intent.

:lol: @ your last sentence. :D

Overall, no worries, I think I was sort of throwing my little rant out into the ether, not so much directing it at you. I tend to quote posters I'm responding to directly.

You just (at least partially) happened to be the previous poster when I went to town. :o

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :cop:

• Members

I use effects and a looper to create a whole band sound. I try to mix it up between song arrangements:

1. Fully looped songs with percussion, bass, and rhythm harmonica with few changes (Hey Joe, Joker)

2. Fully looped songs with percussion, bass, and rhythm harmonica with effects (Low Rider)

4. Fully looped songs with percussion, bass, and rhythm harmonica with dynamics (Crazy)

3. Mostly real time harmonica and stompbox (Sunshine of Your Love)

4. Mostly real time harmonica with looped rhythms (can't think of a widely-known example)

5. Acappella (can't think of a widely-known example)

6. Solo harmonica (can't think of a widely-known example)

Harmonicas

Hohner Marine Bands

Hohner Marine Band Deluxes

Hohner Crossovers

Hohner Thunderbirds

Mics

Ultimate 57

Shure SM 57

AKG D5

Samson Airline 77 Handset Wireless

Loopers

Boomerang III

Line 6 M13

Effects Pedals

Kinder AFB+

EHX POG2

Boss OC-2

Line 6 M13

Tech 21 Sansamp Bass Driver DI

Percussion

Kochel Guitars Stompbox

Tambourine

Shaker

Amps

HarpGear HG2

VHT Special 6

• Members

True, but it's easy to sound hack on them. Loopers are the solo performer's male enhancement pill.
;)

Now that is quite true. I've seen people use them with horrible results live because they didn't take the time to work with them and (what a concept) practice! I practiced with mine at home for a good 6-9 months before ever playing live.

So, like a male enhancement pill, they make "performing" more fun - if you know what you're doing! :lol:

• Members

Now that is quite true. I've seen people use them with horrible results live because they didn't take the time to work with them and (what a concept) practice! I practiced with mine at home for a good 6-9 months before ever playing live.

So, like a male enhancement pill, they make "performing" more fun - if you know what you're doing!
:lol:

I practiced over a year...then bought a new one...back to the drawing board, lol. Another big piece is arrangements. Playing the same arrangements for every song, etc gets old fast. I think learning to be dynamic using a two button looper is hard but very rewarding! I ended up getting a Boomerang III, though.

• Members

I have been doing live looping since the boomerang came out, before Boss made a looper. People seem to dig what I do with it.

(BTW Im the OP and please no more tracks/no tracks debate. Its ridiculous and was done on that other thread, remeber???)

I really started this thread to see if anyone was doing anything out of the ordinary. LIke playing drum triggers with their feet or something.

• Members

So, like a male enhancement pill, they make "performing" more fun - if you know what you're doing!
:lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Archived