Crazy Logic - Playing Solo

HarpNinjaMike

• Members

Background: I've started a solo show with a modern one-man-band concept where I play harmonica, beatbox, and loop...I've done a few songs at duo and fullband gigs, but tomorrow is my first fully solo performance.

At first I was aiming for a 45min set that I could play opening for bands, at happy hours, local fests, etc. For 3hr shows, I would play with a guitar player.

Then I started learning material (mostly obscure covers and originals) and realized I was to an hour and a half (20ish songs). I started to think about doing a whole night on my own. Obviously, the first issue was doing the "same thing" for the whole night and it getting old. Then, I came up with this crazy logic...

1. When a full band plays for 3hrs, they generally present the same band for all three sets...same thing all night. Sure the songs and genres change (just like with my show and your shows), but it is the same people doing their same thing for 3hrs. Other than swapping vocalists, most bands have the same instruments every song with little variation. There is always a drummer, always a bassist, and always a guitar, etc.

2. Solo artists like solo guitar players end up doing the same thing for 3hrs. That is, the same performer sings and plays all the songs. The format is essentially limited to vocal and guitar every song. Granted, there are wrinkles to be had, but the format is generally the same.

3. Duo...like solo but with maybe a little more variation...but again, over three hours, it is sticking to a similar plan. I would think, though, that this offers a ton of variety with instrumentation...possibly. A full band could, but it is usually guitar, bass, drums, vocals. With a duo, you can mix up instrumental pairing more readily without people being left out.

Maybe, just maybe, I can do three sets on my own and it would work. My overhead compared to a full band is low. I can offer nearly as much instrumental variation as the other options too. The biggest hurdle is not having a chordal instrument that can simultaneously change chords while I sing...BUT, I have discovered some nice workarounds. So the pros and cons might line-up with a full-band or duo.

So far, with the short performances, the reaction has been really positive. Tomorrow is a truer test (then Saturday I have a 3hr duo show where 1hr or so will be solo). I know it won't be as good/tight/effective as a few months down the round of performing, but I think I might be willing to invest some more time into this project than I had originally thought.

• Members

2. Solo artists like solo guitar players end up doing the same thing for 3hrs. That is, the same performer sings and plays all the songs. The format is essentially limited to vocal and guitar every song.

Change it around if you want. Use a banjo or mandolin on some songs for variety. A tambourine is not just about sound but there is also a visual effect. I know a musician that uses a pennywhistle on some songs and I like it. Solo performing likely makes it easier to do some things.

• Members

All the time...I actually beatbox through the harmonica on a regular basis too. I am not nearly as good as others...

I have my first full-on solo gig tonight. I am getting nervous! I even went home to practice at lunch. One thing I did notice is that there is a huge amount of pop music I can play. I didn't realize how "easy" that stuff was as I usually don't listen. That isn't a knock on performers, but more on expectations.

Archived