Clothing/Blazer for gig??

stevolives

• Members

Billy_Joel_-_Perth_7_November_2006.jpgI am looking to purchase a blazer type jacket to wear for an upcoming gig. I was curious if you guys knew of any online sources for such a jacket that looks the part. My guess is that they are kind of an older retro type style but lots of people in entertaiment wear such a garment. Billy Joel often wears this type but I don't think I should wear jeans as by no means am I Billy Joel! Anyway, just curious where gig type clothing has been procured by you guys/websites etc. Oh, I will be playing a piano/vocal gig in a country club for a dinner (55+ community) thanks!

100905iz_billyjoel_001.jpg

• Members

Those look more like a suit jacket than a blazer. A blazer usually has metallic buttons; a suit coat self-colored ones. If you want a no vent look, you can probably find that as a "suit separate". Try the JC Penney catalog as your starting point. Mark C.

• Moderators

^ Absolutely correct....that is a 'suit jacket' or a 'sports coat', not a 'blazer'. Seriously, if you are looking for just a sport coat/jacket go check out the local Salvation Army, Good Will...any other used clothing outlets...and outlet stores.

plus, if you are doing a piano gig at a country club for a 55+ crowd...show some class, rent a tux! ;)

• Members

local Salvation Army, Good Will...any other used clothing outlets...and outlet stores.

That's excellent advice. You should be able to find exactly what you are looking for secondhand.

As far as gigwear, S and I usually match but we don't dress exactly alike. We maintain our personal style while showing unity in the band. Here's a sample:

• Members

Very interesting. Funny, since I am also a professional cellist, played in some local orchestras, I already have the tux! But I thought that might be overkill, also, kind of embarassing doing setup and tear down in tux although i guess you could lose the tie/jacket and cummerbun (rough word) for that. Also, I've lost 35 pounds PLUS when i got the tux, I seemed be getting ever big so I got it big too, ug. Must swing by GW and see what they have.

• Members

Very interesting. Funny, since I am also a professional cellist, played in some local orchestras, I already have the tux! But I thought that might be overkill, also, kind of embarassing doing setup and tear down in tux although i guess you could lose the tie/jacket and cummerbun (rough word) for that. Also, I've lost 35 pounds PLUS when i got the tux, I seemed be getting ever big so I got it big too, ug. Must swing by GW and see what they have.

I arrive early enough that I can change from my street clothes (after setting-up my gear) to my "dress-up" clothing (for performance).

Then, if there's time, I change back into my street clothes to tear down (saves wear and tear on my finery! :p)

Archived