what is your age?

eyesore

• Members

hi guys ;i'm new today here.i've been a solo guy for ,well forever .a few bands .but mostly me. i'm 58 years old and starting think i'm too old for the bar scene.all i play is music from my era.has anyone given up on the bars?i don't like that scene.where does everyone else play/thanks!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

hi guys ;i'm new today here.i've been a solo guy for ,well forever .a few bands .but mostly me. i'm 58 years old and starting think i'm too old for the bar scene.all i play is music from my era.has anyone given up on the bars?i don't like that scene.where does everyone else play/thanks!

A youthful/geezerly (depending on the day :p) 55, and around here most bars don't pay enough to bother with, so I perform almost anywhere else - restaurants, nursing homes, libraries, book stores, coffee-houses, private parties, weddings, festivals, etc.

• Members

i'm 13 with 41 years of experience at being that age... i used to do solo and duo work a long time ago and have been in bands most of my life... i'm gearing up for going back to the solo routine... :)

speaking on age... i remember seeing a drummer in a dixieland jazz band that was 84 and still doing all the high sticking and fancy chops as well as being spot on with his timing and beats... he sat behind those skins smiling and having a blast and i said to myself... with any luck at all, thats where i want to be when i'm his age... on stage, having fun playing music...

music doesnt recognize age, or any of the other traits which make us individuals... it only recognizes heart, passion, and the desire to open your soul and share what you have with others...

• Members

56 here. I play bars with my band, but not solo. Restaurants, wineries, small acoustic festivals, private parties and galleries is where I like to play. Better atmosphere, better pay, and usually free food. Last solo gig I played I got a rack of rosemary-encrusted lamb, a nice garden salad, some scalloped potatoes, steamed veggies and a very well done caramel cheesecake for dessert. Try getting that at a brewpub.:lol:

• Members

I'm 56 and am a rank beginner at electric guitar, just having started a year ago. But I played trumpet, classical piano and sang in choirs in my youth, studied music theory and back then taught myself to bang around on a cheapie acoustic guitar and on a flute as well.

Now, it's a wonderful relaxation.

• Members

i'm 13 with 41 years of experience at being that age... i used to do solo and duo work a long time ago and have been in bands most of my life... i'm gearing up for going back to the solo routine...
:)

speaking on age... i remember seeing a drummer in a dixieland jazz band that was 84 and still doing all the high sticking and fancy chops as well as being spot on with his timing and beats... he sat behind those skins smiling and having a blast and i said to myself... with any luck at all, thats where i want to be when i'm his age... on stage, having fun playing music...

music doesnt recognize age, or any of the other traits which make us individuals... it only recognizes heart, passion, and the desire to open your soul and share what you have with others

Well said!

• Members

music doesnt recognize age, or any of the other traits which make us individuals... it only recognizes heart, passion, and the desire to open your soul and share what you have with others...

Eh. I worry that I am getting to old, fat and ugly to be a performer. I can still play, but I sure don't look like I sound :lol: I'm 45

• Members

46 here. I do a mostly covers solo show, and perform at private parties, public functions, and any place that will pay me decently. I will, from time to time, play all original music at a solo show or a singer/songwriter night. My demographic is older folks, so it doesn't matter so much what I look like. I don't like playing any place with smokers, so that sorta rules out a bunch of places for me.

• Members

I'm just a few days from being 56.

I've been playing The "Chapman Stick" solo for a little over 10 years now.

Right now I'm up to playing 5 regular gigs a week.

During the holidays I had a string of 13 gigs in 10 days.

I'm a better musician now than I've ever been.

• Members

i'm 52, but feel like 70

started in fulltime bands at age 13.

for the last 24 years, i've been doing a fulltime solo. i think i can keep this up well into my upper 60s, but i may have to decrease the amount of gear to keep me going,

moving gear all these years has taken a toll on my back and neck. thats the only thing stopping me from gigging 7 days a week.

• Members

Wow, I feel the kid around here at only 44. Of course my grandkids would have a hard time swallowing that :)

That is beautiful Voltan. If you don't mind, I'm putting that in my sig!

• Members

I'm just a few days from being 56.

I've been playing The "Chapman Stick" solo for a little over 10 years now.

Right now I'm up to playing 5 regular gigs a week.

During the holidays I had a string of 13 gigs in 10 days.

I'm a better musician now than I've ever been.

Any mp3s of your playing? Love listening to a good 'Stickman. :thu:

• Members

i'm 52, but feel like 70

started in fulltime bands at age 13.

for the last 24 years, i've been doing a fulltime solo. i think i can keep this up well into my upper 60s, but i may have to decrease the amount of gear to keep me going,

moving gear all these years has taken a toll on my back and neck. thats the only thing stopping me from gigging 7 days a week.

Fortunately for us geezers, gear grows increasingly lighter/more compact...I'd hate to have to tote around a pair of these today, like I did back in '74:

altec.lansing.a7.oblique.gif

These can dish up 3X the power...and 1/1000000 the hernias :p:

lm15a.jpg

Archived