I have to admit, I could really use the extra money right now.

sventvkg

• Members

I don't miss playing gigs per se and I love my life in Nashville but everything is a real struggle and we've had to make serious sacrifices to be here and give this thing a shot. Things are progressing nicely for me but no money is coming in yet and I'm so broke! I really wish there were some gigging opportunities in the general vicinity because I could REALLY use the money!!

Anyone know of any? Any ideas?

• Members

I appreciate your honesty, sir- not every musician on the internet is independently wealthy- I'm certainly not..but from what I know from gigging with Nashville-based musicians, Podunk, USA is a better place to make coin playing music. Sorry, but I have no ideas other than to hang in there- I know you have a very marketable "product" and more importantly, you play and sing your ass off. Best wishes!! :)

• Members

Oh yea I know the sticks but I've asked 100's of musicians and no one knows of anyplace outside nashville to gig for $$...It's so weird!! I wouldn't want to do it if I didn't really need the cash...Everywhere else I've lived in the US I gigged my ass off and made good $$ and didn't really want to do that here anyway..Maybe I'll start an Avon biz!

I DO NOT have the temperament wait tables and I have to watch the kids, so I can't have a conventional "job"....My wife works her ass off!!

• Members

Good luck man!

I'm sure you know the difference between a songwriter and a pizza?

A pizza can feed a family of 4!

Not trying to make light of your situation, Nashville is a great town, but full of starving artists and songwriters.

Seriously, I wish I was much younger and had your balls!

• Members

The last time I was in Nashville was for the last NAMM show before they started moving it around. I remember just pretty much being blown away by the quality of playing I heard on the street corners. Around music row it was every corner. Sometimes two or three guys on the same one. The buskers made a little money, but it was spread between so many players, I don't think it amounted to much. I admire Sven for taking his shot, but in a market that saturated with talent willing to play for free in order to get noticed, it's going to be tough. At least with busking, it won't cost much of anything. Find a nice spot down around the river and give it a shot.

• Members

Oh yea I know the sticks but I've asked 100's of musicians and no one knows of anyplace outside nashville to gig for $$...It's so weird!! I wouldn't want to do it if I didn't really need the cash...Everywhere else I've lived in the US I gigged my ass off and made good $$ and didn't really want to do that here anyway..Maybe I'll start an Avon biz!

I DO NOT have the temperament wait tables and I have to watch the kids, so I can't have a conventional "job"....My wife works her ass off!!

A good slacker, dead-end, low-paying (can YOU say: independent contractor?:)) but somewhat flexible job for musicians is what I have done the last 6 years- sign up with a delivery/courier service. All you need is a valid driver's license, a decent MRV record, a vehicle, and dependability. It's pleasant work, you can listen to music while you do it (I advise against practicing an instrument, texting, or playing Angry Birds while driving), and anything's better than sitting around the house stressing over bills while waiting for the phone to ring, IMO- I've been there and it sucks.

BTW, if you have the temperament to watch kids all day, I would think you have the temperament for anything. :D

• Members

Actually I've got some good stuff going on, just nothing bringing any cash yet. Some single song deals 2 offered pub deals that I didn't take, I'm producing and shooting music videos, developing a pilot based around the Nashville Songwriting Scene with a Number one hit Writer, Writing with some top writers, writing my own best stuff ever etc etc..Moving up the ladder so to speak and it's all good...Just need to make more money but we're getting by, God love my wife!!!

• Members

Actually I've got some good stuff going on, just nothing bringing any cash yet. Some single song deals 2 offered pub deals that I didn't take, I'm producing and shooting music videos, developing a pilot based around the Nashville Songwriting Scene with a Number one hit Writer, Writing with some top writers, writing my own best stuff ever etc etc..Moving up the ladder so to speak and it's all good...Just need to make more money but we're getting by, God love my wife!!!

Enjoy the journey, and the money will follow.

Sounds like you got it going on!

Archived