iPad 2 Stand Holder???

HarpNinjaMike

• Members

Ok, fine...I ordered a 64gb iPad 2. If I want to use it on a boom stand, what are my options for keeping it protected and in place? My biggest concern is if the stand were to tip over.

I really want it to be useable on a boom stand and something that will keep it will protected and keep it from getting scratched up.

Thanks!

• Members

Ok, fine...I ordered a 64gb iPad 2. If I want to use it on a boom stand, what are my options for keeping it protected and in place? My biggest concern is if the stand were to tip over.

I really want it to be useable on a boom stand and something that will keep it will protected and keep it from getting scratched up.

Thanks!

Why a boom stand?

If you don't want it scratched, either get a case for it, don't scratch it or just leave it at home.

If you put it on a boom, you're inviting disaster unless you're willing to weight the base of your stand.

• Members

Lots of choices. Which one do you recommend?

This is the one I got for my Android 10.1 tablet, http://www.mountguys.com/Microphone_Stand_Mount_for_Tablets_and_iPad_p/mfx085-tab001.htm it is universal and will fit iPad or any tablet

It holds it very securely in either orientation. The spring loaded tabs have rubberized serrated jaws with tight spring action to hold the tablet tight. They give you short tabs, and long tabs so you can use with or without a case. Depending on your case thickness, you can use the short or longer tabs supplied.

The swivel/tilt mechanism locks into position by tightening a thumbscrew, and stays in the position you set. The clamp fits any part of a mic stand and will open to attach to larger items up to almost 2".

The clamp is metal, the rest is plastic, but it seems rugged, like ABS plastic.

• Members

This is the one I got for my Android 10.1 tablet,
it is universal and will fit iPad or any tablet

Looks just like the one I got (different brand). It doesn't "lock" in an iPad2, but I'm keeping the ipda in a rubber case and with the case it fits pretty snug. I also added some additional weight to the mic stand I clamp it on.

• Members

I'm a little confused...I never even thought of my stand tipping. Does this often happen to you?

The only issue I have with the IKlip and where you want to attach it to is that it takes a little while to get used to. Its just a weird place to mount it. I've had it there for about 25 gigs and I'm actually thinking of using a 2nd stand so I can keep it off to the side.

• Members

Not on the top of the boomstand...on the straight part below the boom...the iKlip seems to be a good pick, but Mike's suggestion would let me keep it in a case. Thanks!

Fair enough. It was Late andI read your post to mean you intended to protrude yo' pad.

My bad.....

• Members

For use with my keys I've developed three alternatives. An X clip just mounted on a goose neck to the top of a standard mic stand (without boom). Just stands in front of the kb, like a music stand but less obtrusive. For my standastic kb stand I made a beracket that fits the same goose neck and x-clip to the top of one of the supports. It's very unobtrusive. and for use with an x stand I took an old 2nd tier leg (the part that bolts into tube of the x stand) and made a bracket to take the gooseneck and x-clip again. For the brackets to mount the gooseneck I usually cut up one of those mic stand adapters, this sort of thing images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVbfKYNMI__KziXbdrGKA

Just get a bit creative with what you want, you don't 'have' to use ready made stuff.

• Members

For use with my keys I've developed three alternatives that all use an x-clip. 1. The clip just mounted on a goose neck to the top of a standard mic stand (without boom). Just stands in front of the kb, like a music stand but less obtrusive. 2. For my standastic kb stand I made a bracket that fits the same goose neck and x-clip to the top of one of the supports. It's very unobtrusive.3. For use with an x stand I took an old 2nd tier leg (the part that bolts into tube of the x stand) and made a bracket to take the gooseneck and x-clip again. For the brackets to mount the gooseneck I usually cut up one of those mic stand adapters, this sort of thing

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVbfKYNMI__KziXbdrGKA

or this

6149_MY550_OSS_main.png

• Members

Not on the top of the boomstand...on the straight part below the boom...the iKlip seems to be a good pick, but Mike's suggestion would let me keep it in a case. Thanks!

I use the iKlip. It's a little pricey at around $42 but it works pretty well and it's rugged enough to not slip during a performance. I put mine on the mic stand portion (not the boom) and it works fine. I have decided not to use it anymore in my band, but I will probably keep using it for my eventual solo shows, where having lyrics and chords handy for multiple requests (and possibly controlling backing tracks) will keep it as a useful item for years to come.

• Members

I'm a little confused...I never even thought of my stand tipping. Does this often happen to you?

The only issue I have with the IKlip and where you want to attach it to is that it takes a little while to get used to. Its just a weird place to mount it. I've had it there for about 25 gigs and I'm actually thinking of using a 2nd stand so I can keep it off to the side.

The added benefit of doing this, other than freedom of where you can put it, is that it won't be seen in photos blocking a portion of you while you are singing and playing. :thu:

• Members

After Tim's post saying go with the iKlip, I decided to check it out. The funny part is that all the illustrations show the performer a step or two back from the microphone. It is a little awkward with your face on the microphone to be able to see the tablet, even with my mount. LOL!

draw-elguitar.gifdraw-guitar.gif

• Members

I use the iKlip with a boom stand, but instead of putting the stand directly in front of me I bring it in from the side, at about a 45 degree angle to where I'm standing. That way the iPad is down low and off to the side instead of underneath the boom part of the stand. It's easy to see and, in my opinion, it is less obvious to be glancing to the side every once in a while instead of looking down your nose toward the floor to remind yourself of the lyrics.

• Members

I use the iKlip with a boom stand, but instead of putting the stand directly in front of me I bring it in from the side, at about a 45 degree angle to where I'm standing. That way the iPad is down low and off to the side instead of underneath the boom part of the stand. It's easy to see and, in my opinion, it is less obvious to be glancing to the side every once in a while instead of looking down your nose toward the floor to remind yourself of the lyrics.

good idea

• Members

Yeah, I have done that as well. A lot less obvious when it's at an angle and the boom is in front, sort of like it would be if I were playing piano (stand off to the side).

For my upcoming street dance, I'm going to go iPad-free. I'm hoping it will improve my performance ability. It's just too easy for me to want to stare at it, even if I know the lyrics! :lol:

• Members

OK... going to have to try this one. It's just that we get so used to the way our gear is set up it may be a difficult adjustment. Either way I agree that looking down on my IPad is not the best way to set this thing up.

• Members

If this hasn't been mentioned yet, you may want to consider this one.

http://www.thegigeasy.com/index.html

I just used it for the first time last week and was very pleased. The only negative thing that I could say about it was that I was a bit concerned about damaging the iPad taking it out after the gig 'cause it holds it so tight (definitely not a bad thing while in use though).

• Members

I like the one on that site that has the "arm".

If this hasn't been mentioned yet, you may want to consider this one.

I just used it for the first time last week and was very pleased. The only negative thing that I could say about it was that I was a bit concerned about damaging the iPad taking it out after the gig 'cause it holds it so tight (definitely not a bad thing while in use though).

• Members

I use a K&M holder for my iPad 2. iPad 1 and iPad 2 are different in size and K&M makes two different holders. I've found that you need to be aware of things like center of gravity with these because the mic stand tips over it you have the iPad mounted too high and if you don't have the 3 legs of the stand in the right relationship to the iPad holder.

• Members

I went back to a separate stand tonight for the IPad and felt 100 x's better for me. I'm short and I like the vocal mic stand lowered as far as It goes. With the IKlip I had to raise it up to get the mount in there. This "holder" thing is absolutely all about how you prefer your vocal mic positioned.

• Members

I went back to a separate stand tonight for the IPad and felt 100 x's better for me. I'm short and I like the vocal mic stand lowered as far as It goes. With the IKlip I had to raise it up to get the mount in there. This "holder" thing is absolutely all about how you prefer your vocal mic positioned.

Did you think having the arm holding the IP to the side would cause it tip?

Archived