Need A Couple Tunes

Potts

• Members

Acoustic of course...

I need some different Tom Petty. I do Mary Jane's , Yer So Bad and Free Falling. Any good simple TP that you'd recommend?

I could also use a couple of Seger tunes. Obviously I do Turn the Page and Against the Wind- both of which I hate.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Acoustic of course...

I need some different Tom Petty. I do Mary Jane's , Yer So Bad and Free Falling. Any good simple TP that you'd recommend?

I could also use a couple of Seger tunes. Obviously I do Turn the Page and Against the Wind- both of which I hate.

-TP-

SWINGIN'

YOU WRECK ME

WON'T BACK DOWN

-Seger-

NIGHT MOVES

LIKE A ROCK

BEAUTIFUL LOSER

SUNSPOT BABY (could maybe be done acoustically)

• Members

'You Don't Know How It Feels' still gets good response. I learned it when it was new and it hasn't faded into obscurity. Refugee?

Someone already said Main Street. You'll Accompany Me is a good one on acoustic. Alot of Bob's songs have major orchestration and are hard to pull off solo. 'Watch Her Strut' is one my wife wants me to learn.

• Members

As someone who has played in a Tom Petty cover/tribute band for several years, let me say this:

He has had 33 top 10 hits. 33. You could do a whole night of nothing but TP and your audience would know every word.

Also, one of his signature song-writing elements is the endings. At least 75% of the time he will use a double chorus at the end.

(1) You Wreck Me is a great up-tempo rocker. One of my favorites to sing and play, but doesn't get the crowd reaction you would think.

(2) I Won't Back Down is one that we play 2nd or 3rd and it really brings the crowd in, because EVERYBODY knows and likes that song. This is definately one to add Potts - instant winner here.

(3) For the love of God do NOT play Free Fallin' - just let it die man!

(4) You Don't Know How It Feels always seems to go over great towards the middle to end of the night. Do the ending acapella and let the crowd sing it with you! This is my other recommendation. Another instant winner. Sidenote: I call this one You Don't Know How It Ends, because without fail one of the guys in the group mucks it up.

(5) Running Down A Dream is the peculiar one. Hit or miss depending on who is in front of you; a real head-scratcher!

For the Seger, Old Time Rock n Roll always seems to be a hit around here. Easy to add a bass/drum BT I would think too!

• Members

Come to Poppa by Segar just kills if you can pull it off. I copped the guitar lick from Koko Taylor's version and melded the two. There's plenty of room to use your imagination with a groove like this, and if you use a looper, the possibilties are endless.

• Members

Pottsy, and you other acoustic guitar guys, have you listened to the English lad James Morrison?

He's composed and performed some pretty neat tunes.

I Won't Let You Go, You Give Me something, Wonderful World to name but three.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/276-2159705-9683528?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-music&field-keywords=james+morrison&x=15&y=17

• Members

But wouldn't it be a bit like playing a jimmy buffet song in Hull? Maybe it's because I play exclusively in a holiday area but my crowd really are only keen on songs that they know or are James Morrison tunes well known in the US? Got to say I find it frustrating that people on here who I respect talk about songs as being standards that are guaranteed crowd pleasers that I have never heard of. Take this thread for example, John Mayer and Tom petty just aren't well known enough here for me to consider including. It's a real shame. But there are enough great songs that are on both sides of the pond.

Cheers Steve

• Members

A good song is a good song.

Try new ones a few times and see how they run.

If they don't have legs and/or die on their arse....at least you tried.

But if they go down well, you'll be glad you did 'em.

:)

And yet on your web page you say we play songs that " your guests know " so how many Buffet or Kieth Urban or Segar tunes other than Old time rock and roll do you put in your set?

I don't think my audience are much different from others and I may get away with one or two new songs a night but dam they better be good cos you can see them switch off if they don't know them

Cheers Steve

• Members

Steve I agree about playing songs the audience knows, but Petty is huge in Florida. He's a gainesville boy who is popular in the late 20's to early 60's age group.

How old is the crowd you are playing for?

Edit:

Steve I thought you were in Florida.

One that hasn't been mentioned: The Waiting.

American girl is a great tune to use the looper at the end to get those licks in.

• Members

I do "even the losers" people always sing along. american girl is a no brainer. don't miss the b minor in the chorus though......

Very cool! I would have never thought about Losers. American Girl is a no brainer huh? The looper would come in handy for the intro too.

Archived