Your Eyes While Performing

joshmac

• Members

I was just thinking about this the other day while watching a band who were all looking at their necks/at the floor while they were playing. Where do you tend to look while you are playing?

Do you......

-Focus on a point in the back of the room

-Switch between patrons and make eye contact

-Look @ lyrics

-Look at your band mates?

-Stare into your wife/gf in the crowd's eyes

I think the biggest thing that helps to get over "stage fright" is having no shame when it comes to eye contact. Eye contact with patrons and bar staff is not a bad thing and I try to lock eyes with each patron atleast once, especially if they are paying attention. It reaffirms the fact that they are enjoying themselves and allows me to connect with an audience member without even saying anything.

Ive also encountered people who are too shy to look anywhere other than their music stand and use it as a visual target, makes them look like jittery nervous amateurs

I guess another question that could be addressed is if you are using a lyric sheet or electronic dealio, do you ruthlessly look at the lyrics throughout the song, take quick glances to remind yourself and then sing while looking at the audience, or what.

The eyes, the key to every musician

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I still struggle with the whole eye contact thing. I make sure to look around the room a lot, looking at various people, various points in the room, etc. Still, I'm not great with the locked eye contact. I'm a naturally shy person, so it puts me out of my comfort zone - makes me feel a little stalker-ish. I'm trying to get better about it.

• Members

I'm all over the place. I search out people to lock eyes with, smile, and see who blinks first, watch people coming and going, girls dancing, the neck of my guitar, the laptop lyrics, the sky, etc. I still would like to look at the laptop less. Even though I could perform a lot of my songs without the visual aide, I find myself glancing over. I usually try to add a couple songs a week, and with the new ones, I really feel like I have my face in the computer a lot.

• Members

I pay attention to the way people talk to each other, if I see them straining, leaning toward each other, I turn down. Sometimes I wink at the pretty ladies that pay attention to me. I give dirty looks to the men that walk by my tip jar and put nothing in it.

• Members

i usually keep eye contact with the people on the dancefloor. acknowledge them when they look at me.

i do tend to find myself closing my eyes from time to time. i do this during complicated parts of songs where i need to be playing a difficult guitar lead while singing. i find it does help me sing better (on pitch and with feeling).

people have noticed i really get into my music when i'm playing and singing. but i do know whats going on around me. i'm looking at the reactions, what they dance to, who is drinking more than others, which girls are with which guys (so i dont get in trouble).

i know my guitar backwards and forwards and hardly ever look at the neck. my lyrics are on my ipad, but i dont turn it on until i absolutely have to look at lyrics. i carry a 20 channel mixer to mix my midi gear live, so i adjust it a few times a set. it may be more work, but it always sounds better than my pre-recorded tracks.

in other words, my eyes are everywhere. even closed from time to time.

• Members

I have an issue where I close my eyes when I sing.

It's not a stage fright/fear thing, it's a "I've got so much going on with playing the instrument well and in time, singing in tune, and remembering words, I can't handle the visual distractions" thing.

I find it helps me, but I'm sure it's off-putting to some...

Brian V.

• Members

Normally, I'm looking around, making eye contact, smiling, etc.

The other day I looked at a video of me doing an Yngwie song, and I couldn't stop laughing. On this particular song during the verses, there are 2 sustained B4 notes on the vocal, with a little D5 grace note leading into it. At the same time as those notes, there is a complex picked run on guitar. I noticed that pretty much every time this little event occurred, my eyes rolled COMPLETELY back in my head in concentration. :lol:

Something to work on. :o

• Members

Videoing yourself is great. I'm constantly amazed by how much a dork I look like on stage.

Agreed... Im constantly amazed at how much of a dork you look like too. heh ;)

I noticed that if Im concentrating on a lick or something it looks like I'm angry. I caught it a few weeks ago on a video and I can't seem to shake it.

• Members

My natural tendency on keyboards is to watch my hands, so i have to make a conscious effort to look out at the audience. I do enjoy seeing people enjoying the music (and am also very attentive to anything that would indicate i'm too loud). I've trained myself over the years to not close my eyes when singing ... but i have recently caught myself closing my eyes when soloing on sax (which probably indicates that i'm thinking too much about what notes i'm going to play).

- Jimbo

• Members

When doing a song I really get into I shut the audience out. Something like a sing along song I'll look out, smile, make eye contact with anyone that actually is singing along. Try closing your eyes while singing and peek to see if anyone's watching you.

BB King closes his eyes sometimes while playing lead, but looks out and connects while singing.

Archived