do you perform better when tipsy?

stunningbabe

• Members

I DO! :facepalm:

Seriously...I perform a lot better during my 2nd session after downing some white wine. :love: I can 'feel' the music more. My girls and me will be dancing more vigorously and sexily once the alcohol 'kicks' in. It's a weird yet good feeling...LOL!

Anyone of you perform better with some alcohol in your body?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There's a fine line for me. A beer or two seems to loosen my inhibitions about playing in front of an audience. More than that, and I start worrying about the trainwreck that my gig might become. Stone cold sober is usually the way to go for me.

• Members

I DO!
:facepalm:

Seriously...I perform a lot better during my 2nd session after downing some white wine.
:love:
I can 'feel' the music more. My girls and me will be dancing more vigorously and sexily once the alcohol 'kicks' in. It's a weird yet good feeling...LOL!

Video clip or it didn't happen....

Probably not, but I THINK i do.

• Members

We have a tradition of having one shot of chilled Patron at every gig, just one, no more, no less and if anyone sends us a drink, the staff knows to make it water in the glass but to charge the guest whatever they sent us! :) Makes everyone happy!

Rod

• Members

I can perform equally well drunk or sober. I don't have a preference. I am an alcohol salesman, though, and it's hypocrytical to promote a product I wouldn't use myself. I just demonstrate how to use it correctly! Like on toothpaste commercials where they show a toothbrush that couldn't hold any more toothpaste without it falling off.

• Moderators

I will never drink before the second set, a long tradition from being a sound guy. One drink per set, max (my bandmates, however, are not as puritanical as I, and the band was dubbed the 'Booze Channel' by one bartender). Perception is the key, IMHO, and anything that alters mine will have a generaly negative effect on my performance...even if I think I'm doing fantastic...which is also a large part of why I gave up drugs thirty something years ago.

• Members

Yeah, typically. I mean, I seriously doubt that I actually sing any better or play my guitar any better. However, I do think that I am more "fun" to the audience when I have a few. I'm more interactive and a little less stiff.

I rarely have more than one per set. That's mostly because I'm concerned about driving home safely, etc. However, some of my best and most fun gigs have been when I've been served a little more than my "one drink per set" ration!!

It is a slippery slope. I can remember one of my very first gigs. I was underage and getting served free beer. I partook - I partook heavily. By the end of the last set, I probably couldn't have told you what day it was, much less what key we were playing in! Probably not my shining moment as a musician. I avoid that now.

• Members

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
;)

I prefer to wait until I'm back home to treat my glaucoma, myself..
:p

Exactly!

I show up sober, and drink maybe 3-4 beers in a 3-4 hour period. Except one night, someone kept buying me shots and I was ten foot tall and bullet proof.

I can't tell ya if the music suffered or not!

• Members

One night my wife and I were watching a star studded event on TV with two of former presindents attending etc.. Frank Sinatra came on and he had been drinking, it was easy to tell. My wife looked at me and said, "what type of ego does it take to think people want to hear you perform drunk?".

• Members

I might perform better after a few drinks but I don't generally play better. Although sometimes if I've had a stressful day a beer will stop the self chatter that can interfere with my playing. Of course so would meditation but it's easier to drink a beer in a bar than chant Ommmmmm :)

Many decades ago when I was 17, I played six nights a week in the Strip Clubs around Vancouver. In those days if you had nude dancers you had to have a band. It was some quirky liquor law that worked to the musician's advantage. We would play just about every week, from 7:30 to 2:00 am from Monday to Saturday - sometimes a matinee on Saturday too. I would have one double rum and coke on the very last fifteen minute break. I did that for a year or so until we had an extended stay at a really bad joint filled with hookers, drug addicts, burly drag queens, and over the hill entertainers. It's not that I have anything against any of those people, but as a young kid it was a long way from the fame and fortune I thought should have been heading my way. Suddenly my alcohol consumption went way up and stayed there for a few years, until it hit me I couldn't sustain that pace.

Anyway, now if folks are buying, or the house provides drinks, I'll drink 'em (unless I'm driving) but I'm much less of a party person these days - at least on the gig.

• Members
I DO!
:facepalm:

Seriously...I perform a lot better during my 2nd session after downing some white wine.
:love:
I can 'feel' the music more. My girls and me will be dancing more vigorously and sexily once the alcohol 'kicks' in. It's a weird yet good feeling...LOL!

I know tons of musicians who THINK they are on fire when they've gotten even slightly lit up. Very seldom the case though.

Archived