I Always took my breaks. Lot's of Springsteen's on this forum!

sventvkg

• Members

It's funny how I read that so many of you don't take your breaks:) I always take mine..Why should I kill myself for no added benefit?? Makes zero sense to me and it never put me in a better or worse light with club owners, managers or the crowd. Fact is, many times the crowd WANTS the band or performer to take a break so they can talk and be social and have a bit of break from dancing. That said if they are jamming I will extend the set etc but as soon as there's a low I will take a break. I see no reason to play all night without a break other than for your own ego and self edification. Can't say it cost me anything because I always had highly coveted and the best paying house gigs in the area. I see lots of guys pretending they're springsteen and most of em should really take a break once in a while. Start asking honest people that come out to see you and I bet they tell you taking breaks is a good thing for both the crowd and the performer.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I enjoy playing and singing. I like entertaining people. General consensus is, audiences seem to enjoy it too.

In over 30 years of playing professionally, I have never ever once been asked by anyone, audience or owner, to take a break.

I have however been asked/begged countless times to NOT take a break and to keep playing.

If you think I play through breaks because I think I'm a "rock star" then you don't understand at all where I'm coming from.

• Members

In over 30 years of playing professionally, I have never ever once been asked by anyone, audience or owner, to take a break.

I have however been asked/begged countless times to NOT take a break and to keep playing. If you think I play through breaks because I think I'm a "rock star" then you don't understand at all where I'm coming from.

LOL +1. As much as I want to come across here as being original and sharing all these "new" ideas, pretty much all the stuff I talk about here has been the norm for me since AT LEAST 1994. It was the first time I went full-time with my cousin. We were using BT's on a mini disc, handing out setlists, playing originals, selling music AND playing three hours without breaks.

I'm going to go with this just one more time because I think you sum it up quite nicely...

I have never ever once been asked by anyone, audience or owner, to take a break. I have however been asked/begged countless times to NOT take a break and to keep playing.

• Members

No one is going to ask you but they won't care if you do at the right times. I'm saying you work harder than you have to for no reason. Just an observation. I've played plenty of nights where I only took one break and did a couple hours straight, don't get me wrong. Ya don't get a medal for being the guy that takes no break. In all my years and traveling, you guys are the only ones I have ever heard say they don't take breaks. That was very interesting to me so I pondered it, talked to other musicians and this was the conclusion I came to. But again, if you enjoy it and don't mind doing the extra work, cool.

• Members

I don't get a "medal", but I get more tips when I'm playing than when I'm not. Plus the higher pay private event bookings are increasing, now surpassing the pub gigs in frequency. I haven't taken a formal survey, but what if I'm getting booked partially because of my willingness (and even obvious enjoyment) to keep the music flowing?

I get it all the time: "You look like you're having fun!"

Well, I am.

• Members

" the crowd WANTS the band or performer to take a break so they can talk"

-Musicians often play WAY to loud! If customers cant hear each other talk, they go to nearest pub, and the clubowner loses money. Musicians job is to sell beer.

• Members

" the crowd WANTS the band or performer to take a break so they can talk"

-Musicians often play WAY to loud! If customers cant hear each other talk, they go to nearest pub, and the clubowner loses money. Musicians job is to sell beer.

I am a solo act. I control my own volume. After 30 years in the business, I know how to play cocktail music at conversational volumes where I am not the center of attention. Instead of "breaks", I play a few minutes of jazz at conversational volumes, where people sitting at the table right in front of me can talk without yelling.

This isn't my first rodeo.

• Members

I am a solo act. I control my own volume. After 30 years in the business, I know how to play cocktail music at conversational volumes where I am not the center of attention. Instead of "breaks", I play a few minutes of jazz at conversational volumes, where people sitting at the table right in front of me can talk without yelling.

This isn't my first rodeo.

yes, but youre a quick study... i've only been performing publicly since i was 5... i'll be 55 this december... i keep telling myself that someday i'll learn... someday...

*stares into the distance*

• Members

I had a female vocalist from a duo that didn't like me playing long sets. Breaks are a time you can be more social, sit down with friends or make new ones.

Reasons for not taking a break: To go over songs not done in a long time. People are tipping. You know people will leave during your break. No social life, don't know what to do during break.

Are patrons ordering more drinks or sitting with empty glasses in front of them? Break time affects turnover, which is something the manager or hostess should be aware of. but as the entertainment, it's usually your job to keep people there longer. Taking a break is a cue to everyone to leave at some places. If you play repeatedly in one venue, you'll see a pattern of when people come and go and time your breaks accordingly.

I've never gone an entire night without at least one break. Make people wait for you to come back. Take extra long breaks to let everyone know that you are in fact a big star. They'll appreciate your music more if they have to wait for it. And the chick singer from the other band will appreciate it too.

• Members
I always take mine..Why should I kill myself for no added benefit??

If I had no added benefit, I would take them too, but here the pay is so bad that tips are a sizeable part of your income. There's something I've noticed over the years is that when the musicians stop playing, it is a subconscious cue for folks to get up and leave and not tip on the way out. So taking breaks can end up costing me 20 to 40 bucks a night or more. Also, if the place still has a small crowd when I'm supposed to be finished, I often play an extra half hour or 45 minutes. I've gotten as much as 100 more dollars in tips that I would have in doing that.

• Members

We love what we do, and would rather play than not play. We charge a little more than the average duo so it pays, but that's not why we do it.

Funny, I've seen musicians play for hours without a break at jam sessions where they are not getting paid anything, and then when they get a gig demand their breaks, even if the audience is jamming and a break would be inappropriate right then.

Go figure.

I also find the audience easier to control by not taking breaks. They have more fun and so do we!

Notes

Archived