How to fix an Acoustic

Potts

• Members

It's my old beat up Martin DCX1E that I actually still love. The top separated a couple of years ago and I fixed it "correctly" then with clamps and wood glue. It happened this time and I just said screw it and super glued and used the tape temporally. I was told that it happens to all of them because the laminate sides don't move and the top has no where to go with the humidity changes.

At any rate I just got home and it's great! It'll probably be good for another couple years. :)

• Members

Good job, Potts! I don't take anything to a 'luthier'. I want to start doing my own fretwork, even. I love that 2 part epoxy. If you do it right, you don't even have to sand it and it's shiny! Whenever you can put your own work into an instrument, it makes it more a part of you.

Think about the troubadours of olden days. They had to build and repair their own intruments. They even made their own strings out of cat gut and {censored} like that! No guitar center back then.

• Members

Think about the troubadours of olden days. They had to build and repair their own intruments.
They even made their own strings out of cat gut and {censored} like that!
No guitar center back then.

Strings 101 - Cat Gut

Cat gut strings are perhaps one of the earliest forms of the guitar string. Back in the early days of guitar, particularly classical and Spanish guitar, players would install strings made from dried lamb or bull intestines. If you were to envision an empty sausage casing stretched out, you would be on the right track. The gut string making process has varied over the years, with much of it's earlier development being in Europe. The process of making strings focuses on getting the intestines as clean as possible. Getting the excess fats away from the muscle tissue is cumbersome. Often the guts are soaked in water for many days and treated in ash water. The guts are then stretched, scraped, and twisted. In the final stages of the process, they are bleached with a sulfur dioxide solution, dried, sanded and treated with a final coating of olive oil. Some acoustic guitarist still use this type of string today. Complete sets are still made available to today's market. The lower part of the string set use cat gut as the core with a thin metal wire overstrung around it. These strings are easy to spot on a guitar as their coloration is a unique hue of yellow. The inherent problem with cat gut strings is their reliability. These strings became dry, weak and brittle over time. In case you are wondering, the unwrapped strings do leave a unique (but weak) smell on the fingers over extended periods of playing time. Their sound is truly warm and vintage renaissance. In more recent years, some players have referred to these strings as Organic Strings.

Why the strange name?

If you are a cat lover, don't worry. Cat gut strings have nothing to do with the furry friends.
It was noted sometime in middle part of the 13th century that the first known "guitar" string was made with the intestinal tracks of various sheep live stock. However, the violin has to take credit for the term "cat gut." According to Britannica, the term cat gut originated from the Italian word for violin. The word for violin was "kit" in Italy. So, the term "kit gut" was the original reference to the strings. Over time the term evolved into "cat gut." Another theory suggests that the term "cat gut" was used in reference to an early string maker in Catagniny Germany. Back in the day, many violinist obtained their strings from the popular German string maker.

:)

Archived