What guitars do you use mainly?

stunningbabe

• Members

The guitar that I have used for recording, writing, live work (What little there is), and learned most of what I know is a 2005 Gibson SG Special Faded Brown. I chose this guitar because I had bought a '76 Les Paul (L6-S, actually) and loved the Gibson sound, and wanted something different. Most of the players my age and in the area bands (Mostly cover bands) used Fender Strats. I chose the brown color because it was the closest thing to black in the price range. Epiphone was looked down upon, no matter if the model was the lower range in Gibson's lineup. I still had a Gibson, and the players were still jealous.

I don't know why it's been my standby for so long. For one thing, I found my own sound with it, and I meld with it better than my other guitars. Even when I was playing with a Line 6 Spider 2, I managed to get my own unique tone. I play with both pickups on, and occasionally go to the neck position. My neck pickup is raised pretty high, and the bridge pickup is lower (Which actually gives it a Tele or country sound when you play with the lead position), so I have a fairly thick sound.

The finish darkened over time, but I put a Civil War forever stamp on the top of the body earlier this year. I know putting stickers on a guitar is for teenagers, but I thought it was kinda classy since it was not only a stamp, but representative of Southern history. Well, last week I got tired of it, and took it off, only to have residue stick to it. I ran to the computer and found out that some people use nail polish remover to remove residue (Not from guitars), and I commenced to rub all the residue off, and notice a lighter area under the finish showing up. Now, I'm one of the few people who prefer a Satin finish over Gloss, because it looks better, but also feels better. My guitar looked awkward with just the little bald spot, so I decided to get creative, and half the top now has a much lighter brown. It feels better to my arm when I rest it, and has a kind of vintage road look to it. It was a mistake that I look upon as having good repercussions.

• Members

These are the 3 guitars I own and they all get played regularly.

1) National Vintage Steel Delphi (2006)

2) Martin M-38 (1979)

3) Martin 000X1 (2009)

1 and 2 are my favorites and get a lot of play, but 3 gets a lot of use too since it has a pickup, gets left out on a stand in my house for me or anyone to play, and comes with me to guitar unfriendly performances/situations. I always bring the National and one of the acoustics to each gig. The M-38 is, to my ears, the best sounding acoustic I have heard. It is versatile and sounds great finger picked or strummed. The National is loud and sounds great played gently with bare fingers or digging in with fingerpicks. I play blues music and usually have the National in an open tuning playing slide. The 000X1 is a very nice sounding guitar too. I think if more people did not insist that acoustic guitars have to made of solid woods to sound good, more would admit that these X series Martins are outstanding.

• Members

For gigging, I have two Larrivee dreads. One mahogany B&S with a K&K pickup. One rosewood B&S with a Baggs Anthem pickup.

For a "jamming on the back porch" kinda guitar, I have an old Simon and Patrick mahogany dread.

I also have a Seagull parlor that I never play. Considering getting rid of it, but I don't know what I'd buy. Maybe a Baby Taylor or Little Martin.

• Members

I have quite a few, but my main gigging guitar is the one in my avatar. A Schecter Hellraiser C8 Ltd.

DV016_Jpg_Large_H64907.001_black_cherry_

They only made 100 of these LTDs in the custom shop, so the build quality is exceptional, and sound-wise, it is extremely versatile, good for jazz, twangy country, pop, rock, metal, funk, etc.

• Members

Larrivee D-03 here. have had it for 4 or 5 years it is a beauty. One of the older ones with mahogany instead of sapele. I have a UST pickup installed and often mic it. It is in the shop now getting a bone saddle and a setup, get to pick it up today YAYAYAYAY Been without my baby too long.

• Members

I use 4 acoustic/electrics. I do a solo-duo act. I have an Adamas W597 carbon fiber acoustic, an Ovation Custom Legend 2079AX CCB Deep contour bowl with a AAA spruce top, an Ovation Celebrity GC057 black tuned to open D and an Ovation Celebrity GC28 Birds-Eye Maple sunburst with a VIP-5 preamp in it tuned to open G. If I'm playing acoustic "unplugged" is use my '79 D-35 Martin. There is very little finish left on the soundboard and it just sings. It's the ugliest guitar I own, but it's by far the best acoustic. I switch out the Adamas and the Custom Legend. The Adamas soaks up a LOT of heat if I'm playing outside. I used to hate Ovation. If you play an Adamas for 1 week you will fall in love with them. I own 4 Ovations now. I'm really partial to the a/e's that have the preamps that pop-in. I can switch them out and make the same guitar sound totally different.

• Members

Mostly, I use two: a Guild JF-4 (6 string) and a Taylor 355 (12-string)...occasionally bring others to compliment these two, but for solo/acoustic trio gigs, these two are always along.

close-upTAH9-22.JPG

highres_1211865.jpeg

Electric gigs involve a Tele (regular lead work) , a single p/u "First Act" (dirt-cheap but an amazing slide guitar!) and my "Poorman's EM-150", an electric mandolin I put together. :)

27b9ad72-e1fb-4f77-ba9b-82bfcf97ed35

1fb5d43b-461f-4e80-a814-6e2ac648049a

6a4dd8a4-073d-497d-97a4-0531fb9e5409

• Members

I have quite a few, but my main gigging guitar is the one in my avatar. A Schecter Hellraiser C8 Ltd.

DV016_Jpg_Large_H64907.001_black_cherry_

They only made 100 of these LTDs in the custom shop, so the build quality is exceptional, and sound-wise, it is extremely versatile, good for jazz,
twangy country
, pop, rock, metal, funk, etc.

I don't doubt you at all, but the thought of you playing twangy country on that thing just seems wrong! :p

Archived