First live performance/song recommendations for two guitarists?

AlexMC

• Members

A couple of weeks ago some good friends of ours got married, and they asked me and another friend to play a couple of songs during the ceremony in front of 120 guests.

I'm 100% a bedroom player and have never played in front of anyone else... I really wasn't ready for the responsibility and TBH dreaded the approaching wedding for weeks in advance. The songs were simple enough - Labi Siffre's 'It Must Be Love', and 'This is the First Day of My Life' by Bright Eyes... but the pair of us were terrified of forgetting the chords/dropping the plectrum/generally {censored}ing up during a significant moment with lots of people watching and video cameras recording in high definition.

As it turned out, the performances went well... we stayed in time with each other, didn't lose our place, and got to the end of the songs at the same time as the singer (whom we'd only met 5 minutes before the ceremony began and consequently had no opportunity to practice with). Volume was a bit of an issue as it was an outdoors wedding in a clearing in the forest, with wind whistling through the trees and no mics for the musicians.

We had SUCH a buzz from the performance that we agreed to play again at the open mic night arranged for the wedding reception; we played the Bright Eyes song again followed by 'All Sparks' by The Editors:

[video=youtube;td_yP3pFnTg]

This part of the day was held in the village hall, so this time we were up on stage under the spotlights, with our semi-acoustics plugged into the PA and a mic for the singer. Wow, what a difference in projection and the ability to hear ourselves!

The last song in particular was awesome fun to play as a duo because of the combination of one strummed guitar and another playing simple lead lines... it was an incredible feeling being on stage with all eyes on us and really getting into the song like I've never done by myself at home.

As we finished the whole audience burst into applause with whooping and cheering and stamping of feet that went on for what seemed a ridiculously long time. Awesome.

SO... this performance has given us the motivation to want to play an open mic night or two, so we're looking for songs that particularly complement either two acoustic guitars or one acoustic plus an electric. No drums or bass. Instrumentals would be great as neither of us are particularly good singers!

Shortlisted so far are:

Michael Jackson - Billie Jean

Editors - All Sparks

Eric Clapton - Signe

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Bob Marley - Redemption Song

Gnarls Barkley - Crazy

Billy Idol - White Wedding

Any suggestions welcome!

Archived