Please help me you MIDI GURU'S!!!

fingerpicker

• Members

Ok I had a post related to this below....

I used to use a Yamaha QY700 back in the 90's to edit midi files. I long sold that and am looking for some software that does that. I checked a bunch of freeware/shareware and I keep getting broken links, page not found, or the darn thing just doesn't work!

So 2 questions

1) Is there a basic program you guys would recommend that is free or inexpensive.

2) can someone please explain to me or put me in the right direction on a better soundcard for the laptop. (Not sure if I even need one that is better)

Thanks. :wave:

• Members

You could try reaper - its $60 and might do the job but you'd have to read up on the web site first.

The problem with older MIDI files is that sometimes newer programs don't read them or read them with problems. I've fooled with this over the years and there's no good answer - like you said - mostly broken links.

If you have iPhone/iPad or Android phone you might find some cheap app to do it.

If you have friends etc. with in home studios you could try them too - see if their apps work on your files.

As for sound cards - go USB sound module - probably $15 at most on amazon - stuff like this.

Edit: you can go up from there price wise as high as you want. If its for backing tracks usually a PC or mac should have one good enough to play through a PA.

• Members

Good luck. I am still using a QY700 and am trying to replace it because of the floppy disk shortage. I bought Ableton Live 8.2 for a cool $500. It won't load my MIDI files either. the QYS file extension is not recognized. If you find something, please let me know about it! I can tell you that Sweetwater & MF are no help. They just want to sell you something. Anything...

• Members

I don't use backing tracks but I do have Cuebase on my computer that I record with. I have taken midi arrangements and copied them into cuebase and ran them through different VST's (better instrument sounds) with a little tweaking here and there some of them come out pretty good.

• Members

1. I would look into Cakewalk Sonar essentials for under $50, http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/cakewalk-sonar-x1-essential

It has unlimited MIDI track capability, and includes some virtual instruments. It also has the Cakewalk TTS-1 synth that sounds pretty good playing general midi files.

2. You shouldn't need a new sound card, the cakewalk TTS-1 will sound better than standard midi synths found in most computer sound cards.

• Members

Good luck. I am still using a QY700 and am trying to replace it because of the floppy disk shortage. I bought Ableton Live 8.2 for a cool $500. It won't load my MIDI files either. the QYS file extension is not recognized. If you find something, please let me know about it! I can tell you that Sweetwater & MF are no help. They just want to sell you something. Anything...

About 12 years ago, I transferred my MIDI files from an Ensoniq SD1 to my computer by recording the MIDI info of each song. It's the only was to do it, but it's way better than starting from scratch. Everything has to be set right with each unit but it works. The resulting sequence will then need tweaking, such as assigning patches. Make sure the bpm is set the same on each so the tempo will come out the same.

• Members

My stock answer... I have been converting my old Roland MC500 and MC50 files using the free version of Anvil Studio http://www.anvilstudio.com/

If your tracks are already in pretty good shape then it's an easy to use and basically crash free program. You can also upgrade certain aspects for a few dollars. There are some things it doesn't do all that well - for instance the quantize function is somewhat rudimentary. And I just use it for midi tracks, I haven't even tried the other features, but at present I dont need or want them.

Archived