Geetar and Drums

nchangin

• Members

Good evening,

Curious to know if any of yall did a duo with guitar and drums only? No bass. Is there a gizmo the guitar player can plug into to synthesize bass?

Could this be a possiblity? I just feel it would be very empty without bass. :confused::confused:

• Members

Would it be helpful to say you could do White Stripes covers... :o

No?

:lol:

Okay, well you can get started with an octave effect of some sort (pedal?) to add some bottom end. But make sure you do this through an amp that can handle the loud bass freqs.

• Members

My own suggestion would be that the guitar player try a
baritone guitar
. Gives you most of that bassy goodness without the added layer of technology. To properly do the MIDI to synth from a guitar, you'll need a
special guitar and a pitch-to-MIDI converter
to match plus the synth.

Too much monkey business.

Or get an 8string and tune the bottom two strings to E and A. :D

• Members

Steven King (not the horror writer, the fingerpicker) has a few guitars set up w/ magnetic p/us under only the Low E and A strings (parallel to the strings)...that p/u's output goes through an Octoplus pedal, then into a bass amp.

Actually sounds pretty good, with the right arrangement. Here's King playing "Tico Tico":

[video=youtube;kQ9H8Fzyc88]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ9H8Fzyc88&feature=related

And "Waiting For The Robert E. Lee":

[video=youtube;Gse5ULdVg10]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gse5ULdVg10&feature=relmfu

• Members

Good evening,

Curious to know if any of yall did a duo with guitar and drums only? No bass. Is there a gizmo the guitar player can plug into to synthesize bass?

Could this be a possiblity? I just feel it would be very empty without bass.
:confused:
:confused:

in our duo i play djembe, guitar, banjo, and i'm working towards adding native flute to the mix... my djembe has a very rich, resonant bass note that blends well with the tunes i use it on... not only does it come across that nothings missing, we frequently get questions to the effect of wondering where all the sound is coming from?

• Members

We're using a roland wavedrum to fill out some songs. It's like a drum synth with various real world drum sounds and an actual drum head that responds very well to the touch. A little pricey but cool, easy to carry along.

Archived