"Audition" on Wednesday

Christhee68

• Members

A few weeks ago a guy who is a regular performer on the solo acoustic circuit in town asked me for my number because he got a call from a wedding planner about playing a wedding. He couldn't play, but he told her he could find someone for her. He gave her my number and she called me to set up an "audition" with her (the wedding planner) and one of her brides for a summer 2013 wedding.

The planner also said she had a wedding coming up this month and would like me to play for that also (assuming the audition goes well). I figured I would just do a couple of the most requested wedding tunes, or a couple of quick shots of the various tunes just to give them an idea of what I do. Mostly I think I'll try to sell the wedding planner on my on my professionalism and dependability.

I already work pretty regularly with one wedding planner (18 weddings already this summer) so having a second could really boost the number of gigs.

Wish me luck.

• Members

As a solo accoustic act playing for weddings---what is your usual gig? Playing for the ceremony? Background music for cocktails/dinner? Instrumental/vocals? How long do you generally play? What are your going rates?

Curious because we often package in a lot of this sort of stuff with the band gig we do for weddings and I'm interested in making sure we're not under-charging when we add on these extra services.

• Members

Beach wedding; just the pre-ceremony (2-3 songs), wedding entrance, wedding exit, and 2-3 songs after the ceremony when they are taking pictures on the beach.

Sounds good. I did one of those last year with zero amplification. Just brought in the acoustic, a music stand, and folder. Vocal and acoustic.

• Members

Sounds good. I did one of those last year with zero amplification. Just brought in the acoustic, a music stand, and folder. Vocal and acoustic.

I used to do that, but with the wind and the waves you couldn't hear me at all. I felt like the client wasn't getting their money's worth, so I started amplifying. I have to carry a lot of junk (acoustic amp, power source, amp stand, mic stand, mic) but I think it adds value to my "product."

• Members

**UPDATE**

Met with the bride, bride's mother, and the wedding planner. They said they saw my promo video on Youtube and I was just what they were looking for. I got an idea of what kind of songs the bride likes, and filled them in on the specifics of how long I'll play, etc. I let them know that I've done tons of these kinds of weddings, so the music is one thing they won't have to worry about. They didn't even ask me to play.

They also said they may want me to do the reception afterwards at another location.

The wedding planner has a wedding coming up that she may want me to do for a "difficult" bride. She said she's very demanding and unrealistic in her wedding plans. She also said she has steak and lobster taste and a pot-luck budget. I told her to tell the bride not to worry about the music--just let the wedding singer handle it. She'll keep me posted, as it could be a last-minute call based on the availabilty of steel drum player she originally wanted.

• Members

No, how could that possibly be?
;)

Bridezilla called with huge list of obscure songs she wants played (maybe). I told her I could work up good versions of a few of her tunes, but it would be much easier if she narrowed down the list. She said she would get back with me.

The wedding planner called over the weekend and said that Bridezilla decided to go with a different guitarist she found on the internets. In a way, I'm actually kind of relieved since I know it would have been a nightmare gig. The wedding planner apologized and said she had some other weddings she could use me for in the future.

I have this strange feeling in the back of my mind that the other guitarist may get tired of Bridezilla pretty quick and she may need someone at the last minute. If so, I'll play the gig but it will have to be songs from my regular set list (and maybe more $$).

Archived