acoustic electric bass

deezle250

• Members

Love 'em, but be warmed: unplugged, very few are as loud as an acoustic guitar, and most have very weak Es(and Bs, in the case of a 5-string bass), so rehearsing unplugged requires that the guitarist, others watch his/their volume.

OTOH, plugged in, they're pretty cool, and add a really nice sound to acoustic ensembles.

I keep mine strung w/ nylon tape-wound strings, from GHS, to cop some of that upright bass sound.

• Members

Yeah, I've heard they're not very loud. I would most likely always have one plugged in so I am leaning toward an electric model instead of acoustic electric.

And I can find a regular bass pretty cheap.

Yeah, a knock-off of a P- or J-bass can be found for $100 or less, used, all the time...otoh, a AE bass just sounds so cool.

• Members

I keep mine strung w/ nylon tape-wound strings, from GHS, to cop some of that upright bass sound.

I have one strung like that, too, and it's fretless, so it sounds even more like an upright. Only the real thing delivers that thick woody tone, but the fretless acoustic comes close enough for my purposes.

• Members

I have one strung like that, too, and it's fretless, so it sounds even more like an upright. Only the real thing delivers that thick woody tone, but the fretless acoustic comes close enough for my purposes.

I have all 3 of my basses (2 P-s, one being fretless, and a Jasmine/Takamine AE, also fretless) strung w/ nylon tape-wounds...have prefered those since 1973.

They definitely help get that upright sound to happen! :thu:

Archived