OT: Spanish 101

Potts

• Members

OMG...I can't even begin to describe how difficult this is for me. I'm a communications major and it's required that I take two semesters of a foreign language. Does anyone have any tips, pointers, YouTube classes or anything that may help me with this? I seriously want to drop it but I'll only be prolonging the inevitable.

• Members

OMG...I can't even begin to describe how difficult this is for me. I'm a communications major and it's required that I take two semesters of a foreign language. Does anyone have any tips, pointers, YouTube classes or anything that may help me with this? I seriously want to drop it but I'll only be prolonging the inevitable.

Study.

• Members

You can handle it. There are a lot of Spanish language lessons online - many of them free - but I think that just focusing on what's required of you for the class might be your best path to passing. I think the other stuff's probably more of a distraction unless you plan on becoming fluent.

Good luck, man! (and good joke, Rod - though it's actually kind of true...immersion is the best way to learn quickly)

Brian V.

• Members

I learned Spanish when I had an hours commute to work and felt it was dead time just listening to the radio so I bought an audio language course and basically did a two hours a day ie there and back for about a year. I also bought American tv series made for the Mexican market like Friends etc which helped lots. Couldn't write it but could hold pretty good conversations. In fact did the same learning Turkish but its a much harder language so I have a way to go. Best of luck.

Steve

• Members

Get a job in a restaurant?
:)

Sorry...had to do it! I am from Brasil by the way, so no racist observations please! It's a Latino makling a Latino joke!

Rod

I live just outside brownsville texas. pretty well all business runs in spanish as well as it runs in english. I took spanish twice. One time in college and another time at a community college to refresh. I learned more working with the guys I hired to put the house back together after hurrican dolly. Now my spanish is rusty again. use it or lose it.

• Members

I worked temp jobs and can't believe how many people don't know english. My BOSS didn't know any english on one job, but between hand gestures and what little spanish I knew, we communicated pretty well. I actually got along with him better than most of my english speaking bosses! My son took community college spanish and a homeschool group spanish (yes, I'm a homeschooler) and liked it real well. Just put 'a' on girl words and 'o' on boy words! Most things are easy once you realize they put the verb first in most sentences, or something like that. Playing Mexican music is another story- they always change chords in the middle of a measure- real weird!

• Members

Thanks for all the suggestions! TV sounds like a good idea too. As if anyone cares but I'll keep you informed throughout the semester. Hasta luego!

Podcasts. Flashcard ios apps. If you can understand Vedder and Dylan, Spanish is no biggie
:)

Ahhh! That's what I was looking for!

• Moderators

Potts, like any other class at the college level, you go in thinking 'OMG...I don't know anything about this! I'm gonna fail!' and three months later, you pass the class... ;)

I grew up in NYC, and took French for six years...and then moved to L.A. No one speaks French here :eek:

I have picked up just enough Spanish over the years to get myself into trouble, yet I am often complimented by my co-workers on my command of their language...I fake it real good...;)

Point being, Spanish, once you get over the gender bs (houses are female, cars are male...who decides this? :idk: ), many of the words have common bases to other Romance languages, and surprise, English has many Romance elements embedded in it (I blame the Saxons). BTW, English, for most people, is as confusing to them as Spanish is to you. Try learning some Asian languages if you really want to throw everything you know out the window. :wave:

• Members

Spanish is one of the easier foreign languages to learn... I took four years (two in high school, two in college) and remember more than enough to get myself in trouble here in South Florida or in Mexico. Then you'll be able to say things like, "No siempre bebo cerveza.

• Members

Yeah I think I just had one of those days yesterday. My sister also reminded me that while everyone was off screwing around this summer I was busy taking 5 insane summer classes and I'm just a little bit burnt out still. When is Christmas break? lol

Potts, like any other class at the college level, you go in thinking 'OMG...I don't know anything about this! I'm gonna fail!' and three months later, you pass the class...
;)

I grew up in NYC, and took French for six years...and then moved to L.A. No one speaks French here
:eek:
I have picked up just enough Spanish over the years to get myself into trouble, yet I am often complimented by my co-workers on my command of their language...I fake it real good...
;)
Point being, Spanish, once you get over the gender bs (houses are female, cars are male...who decides this?
:idk:
), many of the words have common bases to other Romance languages, and surprise, English has many Romance elements embedded in it (I blame the Saxons). BTW, English, for most people, is as confusing to them as Spanish is to you. Try learning some Asian languages if you really want to throw everything you know out the window.
:wave:

• Members

You should have a musical ear - you can think of some phrases and things like musical phrases. Each language has its own sound and you can probably relate them to music.

Listen to native speakers - there's a rhythm and almost melody to how they talk - particularly romance languages.

Archived