My website is 80 percent done...

gearo999

• Members

Hi Mark, (merhaba),

A couple of things stand out, firstly the main photo of you with a guitar on the home page needs a better crop. It is one of the most common faults of photographers to leave too much space at the top of the pic and cut off The bottom, I believe it's the same when one first fires a rifle in that most people shoot high. But it would be easily fixed with a quick crop of some of the empty space at the top. Also I think it needs a navigation menu on each page rather than having to go back to the home page each time.

Hope this helps

All the best, Steve

• Members

@ Steve. Thanks. I cropped the picture but I'm have trouble with the navigation panes. I may have to put everything on one page. I have not built a webpage in a few years. I'll keep trying.

@ MDL. Yep. There is a music stand in the pic, but I like the picture. I use an Ipad now.

• Members

I would never post a picture with a music stand. Just sayin'. I'm also not a fan of black and white for the home page, but that's a personal taste thing.

On the bio page, you have your name in every sentence but the last. It isn't necessary; an occasional pronoun will work fine if your'e talking about the same person.

I'd dump the gear page; no one really cares what you're using for equipment and it looks like you're just trying to fill up space, to me anyway. If you're in a high dollar party band, gear might matter to a buyer. But even then, they care more about your PA and lights than they do your guitars and amps.

Can't say I'm a fan of the overall format- the font is plain Times New Roman and the cells make it look like a spread sheet. What web building site are you using? I just did mine on wix.com; it took about two hours. They have nice templates and it's easy to use. Here's mine: www.patcoast.com They have a ton of really nice templates.

You're on the right track with the simplicity of it. I just think it's too plain, and there is a big difference between plain and simple. You're introducing yourself to the world and prospective employers. You have only a few minutes to make an impression, if that long. Make the most of it!

• Members

Hey Mark

OK friend..here's the bad news. I can appreciate you wanting a website, but this current one just will not cut it. It looks like a template from an old program called Front Page. Nobody here is trying to be mean- you asked and we'd like to make sure you get the best possible site. We all have cash concerns (we're musicians) and I dont know if you, but don't sell yourself short by going with a site that looks like it was from an era that's expired. Nobody here professionally endorses WIX, but it's simply the best bet for those that don't have much experience with site-building.

Free site with advertisements or you can go with about $100 a year. Best of luck!

Archived