Got A Raise

Potts

• Members

I've been playing "The Grill" for a few years now. It's a great little restaurant/bar that holds about 100-125 people. The food is amazing, the people are just a bit wealthier than t-shirts and it's kind of a "go-to" place to see me the first Saturday of every month. The owner, John, never had music there and about 3 years ago hired me for the heck of it. Since then he's done an an amazing job with live music and has acoustic acts three nights a week in the summer, and on Saturdays during the winter.

It's one of the only venues where I've actually become super friendly with the owners and their families. They're probably the greatest people I've met in this industry. They've got big hearts, they're always investing in their business and know 95% of their customers on any given night.

At any rate- I got the new lights the other day. It's just a second colorstrip mini and a stand. So now I have one on each side of me. I used them indoors the other night but had a nice outdoor gig tonight and knew they'd look sweet. I set them up against the backdrop of a white building tonight and set all my gear up like a nice professional show. I had tons of room and used it. Tonight was easily one of the better gigs I've played in years...that's a bunch too. People were laughing when the were supposed to, clapping, singing, drinking and being responsive and appreciative. It doesn't get any better.

He told me he knew I'd never ask, so he informed me he was giving me a raise for tonight and all future dates. He bumped me up another $25. Some may chuckle saying it's only $25, but it's WAY more than the money. Needless to say I'm pretty happy. I've worked really hard to be able to do this thing and entertain those that want to be entertained.

I'm going to enjoy this one for a couple of days because I'll be going back to the regular "who knows what will happen" gigs in a few days.

These are the new lights. Is it just me or do they look pretty sweet? I still have a couple of shadows but I'm going to throw a couple amber-gelled lights up that should take care of that.

d%20lighting.jpg

:)

• Members

Congratulations on the raise. I think the new lighting looks great, but I'm sure that had nothing to do with getting more money. Without even knowing you, I can tell that you deliver a consistent, professional show. You show up on time, dressed appropriately, and you do the job you were hired to do. If more musicians would do that, we wouldn't have such a bad reputation with club owners.

• Members

Great story. Picture looks good. Do you think the lights are associated with getting a raise?

I think it was a lot of things but they probably helped. I think people appreciate it when they see others putting money into their business.

• Members

Congratulations on the raise. I think the new lighting looks great, but I'm sure that had nothing to do with getting more money. Without even knowing you, I can tell that you deliver a consistent, professional show. You show up on time, dressed appropriately, and you do the job you were hired to do. If more musicians would do that, we wouldn't have such a bad reputation with club owners.

Wow! Thank you very much- that's a heck of a compliment and I appreciate it!

• Members

Nice Darrell!

The amount doesn't matter as much as knowing that people actually do enjoy what we do sometimes! There are tough days if you play regularly, and having a couple of awesome gigs a month make it all seem better doesn't it? :) Lights look good!

We have been using lights almost from day one with our duo, I firmly believe that it has a lot to do with our bookings and how much we get paid. I see all the time singles or duo's playing around here in bars, being paid crap, and complaining about it. Then you look at their set-up and presentation/attitude, quality of sound, and you realize that they give the impression that they simply don't care anymore. A nice "stage" look with good quality sound makes a difference. A nice place that pays well, wants a nice presentation in their venue.

Rod

• Members

Nice Darrell!

The amount doesn't matter as much as knowing that people actually do enjoy what we do sometimes! There are tough days if you play regularly, and having a couple of awesome gigs a month make it all seem better doesn't it?
:)
Lights look good!

We have been using lights almost from day one with our duo, I firmly believe that it has a lot to do with our bookings and how much we get paid. I see all the time singles or duo's playing around here in bars, being paid crap, and complaining about it. Then you look at their set-up and presentation/attitude, quality of sound, and you realize that they give the impression that they simply don't care anymore. A nice "stage" look with good quality sound makes a difference. A nice place that pays well, wants a nice presentation in their venue.

Rod

Thanks Rod! Yeah I guess we're all in agreement that presentation is a big part of this whole thing...I'd like to think I'm done with gear but Im sure I'm not the only one that has said that 1000 times. :-)

• Members

LOL..thanks Rod. First of all sorry I double posted the video. I just realized I posted it in another thread last night. Anyway...I'm really far from NYC...about 6 hours. That reaction pretty much floored me! It amazes me to get a response like that. That right there pretty much shows why there's nothing wrong with playing covers.

That is one cool video! I got goosepumps in the end just by seeing your face to the crowds reaction! Now I wanna come and check you out sometime, how far are you from NYC?

Rod

• Members

$25 dollar raise without asking, because they appreciate you, is huge.

BTW Lights are a nice touch, and after checking out the new gear available, I need to update all my old lights.

The colorstrip mini's are pretty cool at $120 each. Stands are about $50 each. Right now the lights are set at "white" because the colors on the LED's are just too much if you dont have something to illuminate the performer. So as soon as I get a little cash I'll get a couple of white or amber par 38's or whatever for my mug and then return the mini's to a slow fade through colors.

• Members

Congrats on the promo!

On a side note do you have a link to the stands or pics you are using? I current run 4 bars on the stand and clamp a big ole par 64 to spotlight me and when I need light (DJ) Curious to see those lights or where you have them setup. your picture and vid look good, good uplighting! I am looking for more of an uplight solution that A. light. B. Easy to transport, setup C. Retire the par.

Are you using sound active on the lights? using controller? these lights right? http://www.chauvetlighting.com/colorstrip-mini

• Members

That's awesome about the raise. Nice to know you are appreciated in a business where you can be made to feel so under-appreciated much of the time. :thu:

the lights look REALLY GREAT!..Did you do a thread on them explaining your set up? If so can you link to it?

• Members

Great job, Potts! I enjoyed your version of the Pearl Jam song. I laughed when the guy yelled "Do it again!" at the end. I've had that same reaction a few times over the years. It's a wonderful feeling! :)

I agree with you that the lights had something to do with it. As you said, you were probably rewarded for investing into your business. I have always said to other musicians that it's important to always improve your gear, always strive to do your best onstage because you never know who is watching and when your last time will be at that place.

Congrats, man! :thu:

• Members

Congrats on the promo!

On a side note do you have a link to the stands or pics you are using? I current run 4 bars on the stand and clamp a big ole par 64 to spotlight me and when I need light (DJ) Curious to see those lights or where you have them setup. your picture and vid look good, good uplighting! I am looking for more of an uplight solution that A. light. B. Easy to transport, setup C. Retire the par.

Are you using sound active on the lights? using controller? these lights right?
http://www.chauvetlighting.com/colorstrip-mini

Here ya go man...I just posted the exact same post in another thread.

Alright Terry and those that are wondering...here's the comprehensive post. All totaled it's just over $300. I'm not sure if there's something better or not for that price but I think I did ok. They're compact, they set up in under 5 minutes and I'll add a couple of small spots sometime later with a controller if I want.

Two of these at $119 each

87657.jpg

And two of these at $45 each but I've seen them cheaper

p44920.jpg

All fit inside here for $30

31PQ5MPQFDL.jpg

As evidenced by this, they look pretty sweet...

d%20lighting.jpg

• Members

Have them on sound active? Mounting to bar with o clamps? Vertical mount or horizontal mount up high? Thanks.

Sorry pal...like an idiot I have two of the same posts going right now. Remind me to never make that mistake again

Right now they're just on a "white" or "neutral" setting. I've set them to a slow fade before which looks pretty sweet. I've mentioned it before but I need a "small spot" though so I don't get washed out in color. They're horizontaly mounted with nuts/bolts and then I just tuck them in an on-stage bag and store them in the truck.

Archived