Songs for a 21st Party

JAD.

• Members

In a couple of Fridays' time, I'm playing solo at a 21st birthday party, and was hoping for some suggestions on tunes that might 'go off'. I've been doing the whole solo thing for a couple of years, and 21st parties remain a bit of an enigma to me. It seems the kids who want the modern doof-doof (I'm not a DJ), are usually the majority. I play a mix of tunes, but not that many from the last 5 or so years, hence why 40th birthday parties are much more my scene.

I was after some suggestions for interpretations of recent upbeat covers that soloists could play to keep the cherubs dancing, since after speeches, that is really all they want to do. I play a couple of Rihanna, Lady Gaga and Maroon 5, which usually go down well, but could really use another half-dozen or so to mix into the 2nd and 3rd set.

Eagerly awaiting suggestions on this.:confused:

Luke

(p.s. Not even going to go into the Hen's Party I have coming up... oh lordy.)

• Members

How did you get hired for this party? If someone heard you and then hired you then you don't change anything.

Yeah. Agreed. My duo partner is nutting up about a party we have coming up for a young crowd. He keeps saying "we gotta learn this" or "we need more party songs."

I told him that the people sought us out and hired us. Cater to the crowd a bit? Yes, but we need to do what we do.

Last year we played a gig where we tried to add some new stuff specifically for this venue and be something we aren't. Not happening anymore.

• Members

Thanks for the comments so far. It's not a case of 'becoming something I'm not'. While I agree with what you said Potts, I don't think it hurts to strive to continually improve and expand one's set list. I'm definitely not trying to reinvent myself.

Luke

• Members

Thanks for the comments so far. It's not a case of 'becoming something I'm not'. While I agree with what you said Potts, I don't think it hurts to strive to continually improve and expand one's set list. I'm definitely not trying to reinvent myself.

Luke

I agree. Always strive and continually improve.

Just don't feel like you need to revamp your whole act for one gig.

• Members

Luke

No man I get it. Of course you're not going to want to bang out Ricky Nelson and Buddy Holly but I wouldn't panic. Every time and I mean every time I play a younger party, it flips me out that I think I should be playing DMB, Goos and Matchbox 20 and all they want to hear is Beatles, Eagles and Stones.

Archived