Wedge monitor stands

SusieP

• Members

OK - need some ideas please.

We use wedge monitors for foldback, and we have a gig coming up where we will have to set up on some of those portable stage platforms - but the venue doesn't have enough of them for us to fit all the instruments on and the wedges as well.

So if the wedges go on the floor, they won't throw the sound up to us so we need something high enough and sturdy enough to sit them on.

Last time we played there, we borrowed some beercrates and covered them with a black cloth - but I was just wondering if there was some kind of stand that would be right for the job.

Any suggestions, please?

xxx

• Members

OK - need some ideas please.

We use wedge monitors for foldback, and we have a gig coming up where
we will have to set up on some of those portable stage platforms
- but the venue doesn't have enough of them for us to fit all the instruments on and the wedges as well.

So if the wedges go on the floor, they won't throw the sound up to us so we need something high enough and sturdy enough to sit them on.

Last time we played there, we borrowed some beercrates and covered them with a black cloth - but I was just wondering if there was some kind of stand that would be right for the job.

Any suggestions, please?

xxx

SusieP;

How tall is the stage-platform? (elevation from room floor, to stage floor)

• Members

Amp stands could work. Funny though, I've got one that I don't use for my guitar anymore, but I've never used it (live) for a monitor stand. IIRC it just didn't work the way I wanted it to. I think it was something about the angle and height that wasn't happening for me. I do know someone that uses it for a small 10" speaker (Yorkville M160) and it seems to work fine for him.

I believe the official monitor stand is the milk crate. I've got some black ones, so I don't even bother with a cloth - unless it's a "fancy" gig.

And the above sidefill idea might work out depending.

• Members

Amp stands could work. Funny though, I've got one that I don't use for my guitar anymore, but I've never used it (live) for a monitor stand. IIRC it just didn't work the way I wanted it to. I think it was something about the angle and height that wasn't happening for me. I do know someone that uses it for a small 10" speaker (Yorkville M160) and it seems to work fine for him.

I believe the official monitor stand is the milk crate. I've got some black ones, so I don't even bother with a cloth - unless it's a "fancy" gig.

The "thing" with amp-stands for monitor-duty is, you want a support-table that can be leveled, otherwise, the monitor-angle is too steep. Some tilt-back stands have a fixed tilt-angle The angle of my On-Stage Pro RS-7705 amp-stand, is completely adjustable.

http://www.onstagestands.com/catalog/item/home/model/rs7705/grp/Grp000231

• Members

I like the black milk crate solution. Some aren't as strong as others, so make sure they'll support a monitor. I've seen photographers put all their stuff in a milk crate and also use it to stand on while adjusting their light stand.

• Members

Can this do the job? Look at the BS-317

That particular model would be too small; you'd want to go with their larger model. Trapezoid speaker boxes, sitting in a "floor-monitor position", take up a fair amount of space (front-to-back). The larger amp-stands are barely deep enough to accommodate a typical 12" monitor.

• Members

Thanks all,

those tilted back amp stands look interesting.

But it seems that the milk/beer crate covered with a cloth is still the best option!

:lol:

That's probably best, as long as it's tall enough. If you have 18" of height difference between the dance-floor and the stage floor, you'd probably have to stack beer-cases at least two cases high. Milk crates; I dunno. :idk: Are they stable when stacked?

I presume milk crates would be taller, but would a single milk-crate be tall enough? and would stacked milk-crates be too tall?

These are questions that make you go hmmmmmmmmm. ;)

Archived