Bolstering Online Presence

JAD.

• Members

Hi all, my name is Luke. Like Bill, who just posted for the first time, I've been reading these forums for several months and thought I'd sign up and get involved. I'm an acoustic soloist from rural Australia who's been playing regularly in my area for 3 years or so.

What I wanted to discuss is the issue of online presence. It's obviously the way forward, and I was hoping for some advice and to hear about your experiences on this.

1. Twitter - I just made an account recently. What should I be doing to get some followers? I use it to update my upcoming gigs.

2. Facebook - Do you guys recommend a 'band page' for a solo artist, or do you just use your personal page for promotion? Not sure what to do here.

3. Website - Planning on getting one up and running by the end of the year. Have read many of the great suggestions for web hosts in the forum here.

Would love to hear the thoughts from the experienced heads around these parts.

Thanks,

Luke

• Moderators

Welcome to the asylum, Luke...I am typing this upside down so you can read it...;)

I personally am approaching this stage myself, and, although frankly, I do not think twitter* is of much use to the average musician**, and facebook is apparently running out of steam***, you still should have a web presence, preferably several consistent ones, and link them all together...and don't forget the apps for both iPhone, iPad, and 'droid.

*most of those I know who have tried this have said it was a major time consumer, and the end results were not justifying the time they were spending tweeting the other twits or whatever they are called.

**of course, I could be wrong, I've been wrong before....

***check their stock IPO performance :eek:

• Members

1. I do not tweet. It just doesn't sound like something I should be doing at my age.

2. I have a FaceBook account, but I rarely go to it because it's full of messages from a lot of people I really don't care to hear from (God, I'm becoming a real curmudgeon since I retired!)

3. I have a website (see my sig) that I try to keep updated. I think it's the best way to let potential customers see and hear me before they make a decision to hire me.

• Members

Welcome to the board Luke! I tossed out a couple of suggestions that may be helpful. Don't forget none of this will do anything for you if you're not handing out cards like crazy. People's opinions will vary, but I just get the vistaprint cards and put them everywhere at gigs. I mean everywhere too. I throw 5 or 6 on the tables, bars, give them to people and generally make sure that if I mention my name or website they can grab a card from 2 feet away and go directly yo my site or facebook. I get Facebook requests all the time (well not ALL the time) during gigs.

What I wanted to discuss is the issue of online presence. It's obviously the way forward, and I was hoping for some advice and to hear about your experiences on this.

1. Twitter - I just made an account recently. What should I be doing to get some followers? I use it to update my upcoming gigs.

I have a Twitter account too and the only time I use it is when I'm looking for sports news from credible sources. I had it on my business cards for a couple of runs and I never really promoted it enough so I deleted it from the last batch.

2. Facebook - Do you guys recommend a 'band page' for a solo artist, or do you just use your personal page for promotion? Not sure what to do here.

First of all don't listen to these old farts. ;) There isn't a better FREE medium to solicit people to your gigs than Facebook. It's as simple as that. I don't flood them with info. I post my weekly gigs on Monday. Wednesday I update it and the same with the weekends. Thats AT LEAST three opportunities to see I have a show. IMO I'd say you should have a band page. It's too late for me now and I regret it all the time. I get a ton of FB requests and accept them all just because people see it at gigs and on my cards. So it sucks at times. I "hide" a ton of people too- I seldom want to read crap from people that I don't know. It also blows because a lot of these people don't need to know my stuff that I would share with real friends or family.

Oh Yeah! Post as much as you can here. The forum is growing and it's good to see and learn from different people around the country/world.

Web%20Poster.jpg

• Members

Welcome to the forum, Luke! I'll agree that Twitter is a waste of time. IMHO, here are the things you should focus on to build an online presence:

1) Easy-to-navigate, informative, and entertaining website. Links to online CD/download/merch sales, photos & media, some free downloads only available on the site, a gig calendar, and perhaps a blog. Promote the crap out of it at gigs -- I have free stickers with the web address, plus all my CDs lead listeners to it as well. Post website URL in e-mail and online post signatures... I'm sure you have the idea! ;)

2) E-mail newsletters -- make them different from site/blog content. Reach out monthly or every two months to maintain contact. Make sure website has a way to capture e-mail addresses as well.

3) Facebook -- far from a waste of time, this social media network can help you promote gigs and keep in contact with friends and fans. Brevity, photos, and an occasional video link are all appropriate. Plus, you'll be able to track reactions by seeing the "likes" and comments to your posts.

Good luck with building your online empire!!!

:thu:

• Members

Hi all, my name is Luke. Like Bill, who just posted for the first time, I've been reading these forums for several months and thought I'd sign up and get involved. I'm an acoustic soloist from rural Australia who's been playing regularly in my area for 3 years or so.

THat's how I use it, too...predtty handy! I put out tent cards on the tables of the venue, requesting that they sign up for my mailing/emailing lists (some prefer one, some the other) and put my Twitter info there, too. Currently have a bit over 200 "followers", and I offer suggestions like "tonight, wear red T-shirts", then count how many folks wear those...I've impressed more than a few venue owners/managers with that trick!
:p

Haven't had much luck w/ FB, myself, but others may have

3. Website - Planning on getting one up and running by the end of the year. Have read many of the great suggestions for web hosts in the forum here.
You
absolutely
need one...mine ciosts me $12.95 a month and is a very useful deduction.

Would love to hear the thoughts from the experienced heads around these parts.

Thanks,

Luke

Good luck with it! :thu:

• Members

Hi, can't say about twitter never tried it and it seems like too much input required. Facebook, have a proper page set up and pay the small fee for a company to do it, it will make you stand out and cost peanuts. I am a long way from being a Facebook guru but I think you have to link it to a personal page, you certainly used to and that means that you have to keep any controversial posts from you or your friends off your page, which is quite a chore sometimes. Have some proper photos taken especially your Profile picture it will make you look more professional. Make sure you keep ontop of the updates ie where you are performing, how great last nights gig was and encourage people to post pics etc. your bookings will flow from this.

Re a webpage read Seth Godin's Big Red Fez which although a few years old is full of solid marketing advice. And whilst on the subject also read anything you can get your hands on by Seth Godin just google him he is v well known on the net, his advice transformed my business.

All the best Steve

• Members

Thanks for all the great advice so far, guys. Much appreciated. It seems you've had many varied experiences - some saying facebook is worthwhile, others not etc. Definitely very keen to get a website up and running now - but going to make sure I don't play my hand too early on that one. Plenty of research to be done yet.

• Members

Welcome JAD

What I want to discuss is how the toilets drain backwards...........J/K

Thanks for joining the mix. It's likely the most sane sub forum in the group.

Please do me one favor though, Wait at least a week to ten days before asking opinions on Bose,Fishman Apple or Android.

Once again, welcome.:D:

Archived