Tired but happy... two fun gigs last night.

EightString

• Members

I played two private parties last night, one after the other, luckily in the same area.

At both, the fivers were getting stuffed in the tip glass (i might need to upgrade size) and at the first one, I got a $50 bonus "just because".

Not a lot of requests, as everyone seemed happy with my choices. Gig #1 was almost all cocktail/dinner music. Gig #2 started with the same, but then morphed into danceable and more modern (ish) stuff as the night wore on.

although at the first gig, I got some odd "diva" music requests... do I LOOK like I do Patti LaBelle? :lol:

In both cases, it was mostly "just do what you do" from the event organizers.

Each gig netted me several hundred bucks, minus gas and roadie, which were negligible. :D

Interesting side note: for gig #1, I do not exaggerate when I say I was the only white person in the room. It was a large enough event that I found it statistically... odd, especially for a Beverly Hills party.

• Members

A tip jar at a private party? Never did that.

Normally I don't either, but at gig #1, I had a cocktail before I started, and had set the empty on my mixer stand. Next thing you know, people were putting money in it, so I let it ride.

Gig #2, as an experiment, I did the same, again, an empty glass, and sure enough, someone mistook the empty for a tip glass and started the flow.

• Members

Normally I don't either, but at gig #1, I had a cocktail before I started, and had set the empty on my mixer stand. Next thing you know, people were putting money in it, so I let it ride.

Gig #2, as an experiment, I did the same, again, an empty glass, and sure enough, someone mistook the empty for a tip glass and started the flow.

Very cool! :cool:

• Members

I'm thinking of doing something similar. Go to the park and play my guitar, leaving the case open on the ground next to me. If somebody tosses money in there, well, OK, then. I know in my town they're really clamping down on busking. Need to have a $200 permit and follow a bunch of Draconian restrictions. So I"m hoping if someone says anything, I can give them a blank stare and ask, "Now, how did that get in there?"

• Members

:cool:i sat in front a store with my guitar and the store owner told the cops that i worked for them and paid tax on the money just like a waitres would. the cop could not find a law for that so he left. it was just a coffe shop but the owner didn't mind. i think she thout it could help her store. worked for both of us.

Archived