Mixer-stands,

Bobby1Note

• Members

Are any of you guys using mixer-stands, and if so, what models would you recommend. The smaller the better in this case. I'm looking for something that would suit a Soundcraft Notepad 124FX, and/or a Soundcraft EFX-8.

I'm also looking for a stand for my larger mixers (A&H MixWiz3 16;2,,,Soundcraft GL-2400-24,,,and PreSonus StudioLive -24. Looks like I'll be going with a heavy-duty Quik-Lok T-stand, or the On-Stage heavy-duty T-stand.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/quik-lok-ws540-heavy-duty-t-stand

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/on-stage-stands-ws8550-heavy-duty-t-stand

• Members

I'm surprised that I'm having a hard time finding something suitable. I've seen some really nice looking stands, yet the bases are just not appropriate. (5 legged caster-bases, like you see on office chairs). I'm looking for something compact,, with a tripod leg arrangement, similar to a miniature version of a speaker-stand.

• Members

We use this.

Legs are height adjustable, and the top can be widened out if needed. You can also fix a flat piece of plywood to make it more like a table. It is sturdy enough for a mixer.

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=stagg+keyboard+stand&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=4693243204143273932&sa=X&ei=qChSUNfkLumc0QWBmoCQDA&ved=0CF0Q8wIwBQ

• Members

If you're looking for a small foot print a heavy duty music stand like this will work quite well for a good number of today's lightweight small to medium sized mixers.

DV016_Jpg_Large_450185.jpg

There are also certain amp stands that will work well for holding a mixer while taking up a fairly small amount of space.

• Members

I'm surprised that I'm having a hard time finding something suitable. I've seen some really nice looking stands, yet the bases are just not appropriate. (5 legged caster-bases, like you see on office chairs). I'm looking for something compact,, with a tripod leg arrangement, similar to a miniature version of a speaker-stand.

Buy a HEAVY duty mic stand (or speaker stand), take it to a welding shop, and tell them what you want it to become...you might be pleasantly surprised at how fast and inexpensively it can be to have exactly what you want.

• Members

Buy a HEAVY duty mic stand (or speaker stand), take it to a welding shop, and tell them what you want it to become...you might be pleasantly surprised at how fast and inexpensively it can be to have exactly what you want.

Awesome idea!!!!

• Members

Boy, not around here. It's tough to find anyone good to even strike an arc for much under a hundred bucks let alone doing any fabrication work that would likely require cutting and bending.

• Members

I've got a pretty decent workshop, and I've fabricated things from mild-steel in the past; it's pretty dirty stuff to work with though, and requires a lot of elbow-grease to get the graphite off.(from the extrusion process). It cuts and drill very easily however. Threading the parts is quick and easy too.

Frankly, the simplest solution is probably to buy a round-base mic-stand, and thread a top-plate, and attach it to the mic-stand.

The problem I have with music-stands, is the spot-welds. They really can't handle rough usage.

I like this one, and others like it, but I really dislike the base. Works fine on a level floor, but I need something for outdoor gigs, where I'm set up on the grass. That's where a tripod-base stand would work much better. The 5-leg caster base on this stand, would be a bummer to transport too.

http://www.music123.com/accessories/on-stage-stands-mix-400-audio-mixer-stand

• Members

LMAO Potts, I'm in the same boat.

A few weeks ago, I also bought a tilt-back amp-stand, (an On-stage RS7705),and I'm also looking for a 5-guitar stand. I'm trying to find a deal on a K&M Guardian 5, but I'll probably end up with a Hercules GS525B I have a bunch of single,dual, and triple Hercules stands, and they're all great.

• Members

Boy, not around here. It's tough to find anyone good to even strike an arc for much under a hundred bucks let alone doing any fabrication work that would likely require cutting and bending.

Had an amp stand fabricated, from a spare speaker stand, by a local welder for $50...he mostly does cattle-guards and heavy fencing. I've used him for various welding jobs around our property, so he may've been cutting me a good deal, but I don't think he's generally over-priced.

And he does good work. :cool:

• Members

If you're looking for a small foot print a heavy duty music stand like this will work quite well for a good number of today's lightweight small to medium sized mixers.

DV016_Jpg_Large_450185.jpg

There are also certain amp stands that will work well for holding a mixer while taking up a fairly small amount of space.

I use the type of keyboard stand susie uses and have placed different sized mixers on it. I also put a 4 space rack and laptop on it.

I just picked up one of these music stands and a garage sale for 4 bucks! Don't know if I'll use it yet but I couldn't pass it up.

• Members

I have a really small mixer normally and I bought this ridiculous overkill music stand a while back. It is what I use. I have also set a pod and a mixer on it before. Just barely fits. It has set knobs so you can tighten it enough. I imagine it will eventually fail and dump everything on the gound. It's pretty sturdy, though with the legs spread out.

604611.jpg

• Members

They're almost perfect but they always end up "giving" after a while and I find they're not reliable.

Yep, I use a music stand (set low and tilted almost flat) as my "mixer table".

SM7211B.jpg

Perfect for holding my Alesis IO Dock and small Mackie mixer.

• Members

I think I'll give that music-stand thing a go. I have one here that looks identical to your pic. Unfortunately, the rear bracket tack-weld has let go on one side. I'll see if I can find a way to fix it

A pop rivet may do the trick, depending on just where the weld broke loose. If you can go that route, use a steel pin pop rivet, not the aluminum pin type.

• Members

I tried using one of those tripod music stands, and it was just a touch too wobbly for my ZED10FX. I usually just prop the ZED up on my tilt-back amp stand. Very sturdy, and it sits at a convenient angle for controlling the board on the fly.

Last gig I used an old octagonal conga stand I had lying around and that was in some ways even better. Don't know if they make them any more--I couldn't find one like mine just now searching around on the internet--but mine is a heavy steel octagonal ring with three big rubber bumpers for suspending a conga in the middle of the ring. The three bumpers stick up about half an inch and the mixer rests very securely on them. The whole thing stands on three, height adustable steel legs. I think it may become my go-to stand for the ZED--especially when, like last Saturday, I need the amp stand for, well, an amp!

Louis

• Members

A pop rivet may do the trick, depending on just where the weld broke loose. If you can go that route, use a steel pin pop rivet, not the aluminum pin type.

It was indeed rivetted. I just took a close look, and there are three tiny rivets per side for the rear tilt-bracket. Should be a breeze to fix. I might even alter it a bit, by adding a thicker auxilliary table-top, with a storage provision for the wall-wart on my Notepad 124FX.

The table of my music-stand measures roughly 19.5" x 13.5", so my EFX-8 should also fit nicely for solo-duo stuff. For larger gigs, where most of the EFX-8's inputs are being used, I'd be a little leary about using this stand. The added weight of the cables, combined with the 8 lb. mixer, might be a little much. Mind you, I've also got a 50' 8x4 stage-snake with a mesh hanger, and that can relieve some of the "tug" of the cables.

• Members

Tripod stand? Well why didn't you say so :)

I've been using a speaker stand and then various pieces of boards which have a speaker cup attached http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/4449/Pro_Audio_Recording/Stands/Yorkville_Sound/Speaker_Stand_External_Mount.htm

It's sturdier than the heavy duty music stands, which I've also used - and still do on occasion.

I've used this system for small mixers, sequencers, laptops, projectors and so on. You can customize the board that sits on top however you want it - square, rectangular, holes for cables, lips so the mixer won't slide off and so on. You could even glue a thin rubber mat to the wood, create an angle... endless possibilities.

I don't think I would use this for my MixWiz, but any small mixer like the EFX8 would be fine. If you needed extra stability you could sandbag it, of course there goes your weight savings. On "hard" stages I've used duct tape to tape down the tripod legs - not gaff tape but duct (shhh don't tell).

• Members

Tripod stand? Well why didn't you say so
:)

I've been using a speaker stand and then various pieces of boards which have a speaker cup attached
http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/4449/Pro_Audio_Recording/Stands/Yorkville_Sound/Speaker_Stand_External_Mount.htm

It's sturdier than the heavy duty music stands, which I've also used - and still do on occasion.

I've used this system for small mixers, sequencers, laptops, projectors and so on. You can customize the board that sits on top however you want it - square, rectangular, holes for cables, lips so the mixer won't slide off and so on. You could even glue a thin rubber mat to the wood, create an angle... endless possibilities.

I don't think I would use this for my MixWiz, but any small mixer like the EFX8 would be fine. If you needed extra stability you could sandbag it, of course there goes your weight savings. On "hard" stages I've used duct tape to tape down the tripod legs - not gaff tape but duct (shhh don't tell).

Yeah Shaster, even a 24" depth folding-table isn't deep enough for my MixWiz in it's case. I'm using a 60"x30" folding table, but that's also a pain to lug around, and that's why I'm looking at the heavy-duty Quik-Lok T stand for my larger consoles.

Archived