It's Officially Slow

Potts

• Members

Yep..it's that time in Western NY. I went from 20 gigs a month to 12 and I couldn't be happier. Anything less than that and I'll be in trouble though.

For those that played insane amounts of gigs this summer whats going on? Are you slowing down or keeping that pace? I personally would never be able to do 18-20 a month solo for 12 months. I'm pretty burned out from playing right now.

• Members

man.. im trying to get to 12 a month!! currently doing between 4 and 6 a month. which is fine personally, but financially id like 12 or more for 6 months or so..

just need to get my ass in gear and start promoting!

12 sounds good though.. this is your main thing right?? its what u do isnt it?

for me ive a day job too.. :eek::cry:

d

• Members

I feel for you, but all you have to do is pack up and move a few thousand miles over here were you could work every night, it's mad, artists (some decidedly average) are flying in for a week or so from the uk and working both afternoon and evening gigs for a couple of weeks before flying back with full pockets and a tan.

Steve

• Members

I feel for you, but all you have to do is pack up and move a few thousand miles over here were you could work every night, it's mad, artists (some decidedly average) are flying in for a week or so from the uk and working both afternoon and evening gigs for a couple of weeks before flying back with full pockets and a tan.

Steve

I'll be right there. That sounds great! So you're playing as much as you want then huh?

• Members

I've been doing 8-10 per month for the summer. I don't want to do many more than that. I also have a full time job that requires travel, two small kids, etc.

Things are still pretty strong for October, but they will slow down drastically in November. Between things slowing down and me missing some gig opportunities due to holiday travel, I'll probably only do 3-4 per month in November and December. I'd bet it will only be about 4-6 per month for Jan-March, then things will pick up again around April or May.

• Members

My schedule stays pretty much the same, other than the Holiday Season (Turkey Day through New Years), when I go from 3-5 Institutional gigs per week to sometimes 3 per day...and I do a couple solo gigs each week, and one or two trio gigs, plus a few "hired gun" gigs per month.

I'm guessing bar gigs drop off somewhat after school/college kicks back in, but I really don't play bar gigs anymore, if I can avoid it, other than some of the "hired gun" gigs...around here, they pay poorly ($10-20/hr, if you're lucky), and are often more trouble than they're worth, to me.

• Members

I'm a part timer, tonight is my last weekly gig at the Pocono resort (end of my 6th season here). Then I head to Florida and have a gig at the Florida resort next weekend. I only play at the Florida resort 2-3 times per month, because they are not as big. So my schedule slows down too.

I'm hoping to spread my wings this winter in Florida and secure some other gigs. But it's hard to beat hauling your gear to your gig in a golf cart and playing naked! :facepalm:

• Members

Yep..it's that time in Western NY. I went from 20 gigs a month to 12 and I couldn't be happier. Anything less than that and I'll be in trouble though.

For those that played insane amounts of gigs this summer whats going on? Are you slowing down or keeping that pace? I personally would never be able to do 18-20 a month solo for 12 months. I'm pretty burned out from playing right now.

we are in slow mode on south padre island. Not much will be going on except weekends till the snow backs start rolling in from canada and MN in late oct and early NOV.

Things will pick up from there as the rest of the winter people drift into town. Its a great time of year for locals. I cut back to playing weekends. The full band shows will start up soon enough.

• Members

For those that played insane amounts of gigs this summer whats going on?
Are you slowing down or keeping that pace? I personally would never be able to do 18-20 a month solo for 12 months. I'm pretty burned out from playing right now.

Do a lot of you guitar vocalist guys play outdoors when the weather is warm? If so, I should imagine the change of seasons will have some influence on your gig numbers.

We don't play outdoor gigs. Do't get asked to do any, really.

We tend to be less busy in the Summer and busier in the Autumn/Winter because we mainly cater for 'dinner dance events.'

No idea why, but there doesn't seem to be many of those events in warm weather. We pick up the odd 'summer ball' evening here and there, but only one or two a year.

• Members

Gananoque is a summer tourist town. So things pretty much dry up during the winter. There's "Jammin' in the Islands" coming up (a bring-in-the-tourists sort of festival) and they hire almost all the musicians in town to play venues from the Hardware Store to the soft-seater Firehall Theatre. I'll be playing at the bakery. But mostly there's silence in them thar bars.

• Members

I think its pretty much the same wherever we live and work - some seasons are busy some aren't, depending what you do.

Quick question for you all - in The Blues Brothers movies, the band are playing the 'Holiday Inn circuit' - is there still a Holiday Inn circuit?

Just curious.

• Moderators

No the 'Holiday Inn Circuit' dried up in the 80s...hotels now may hire a solo pianist who sings...occasionally a jazz duo, nothing 'dangerous'...sad....truly sad.

I think the reason you don't get outdoor gigs in the UK during summer is that everyone is on holiday in Spain, le Midi, Majorca, Greece, Turkey or Italy...or here in LA ;)

• Members

I think its pretty much the same wherever we live and work - some seasons are busy some aren't, depending what you do.

Quick question for you all - in The Blues Brothers movies, the band are playing the 'Holiday Inn circuit' - is there still a Holiday Inn circuit?

Just curious.

Holiday Inns don't have entertainment like they did in the '70s and '80s. In fact, the Holiday Inn Express has taken the place of most of the old Holiday Inns, and many of the old HIs, have become some independent hotel. When I was on the Hotel circuit, Raddisons, Hiltons, Quality Inns, Howard Johnsons etc. were included. I watched many of them go from show bands 6 nights a week, to trios on the weekends, to DJ, Karaoke. Some Holiday Inns in resort areas still have entertainment during their season.

April and November have always been the slowest months for me.

• Members

No the 'Holiday Inn Circuit' dried up in the 80s...hotels now may hire a solo pianist who sings...occasionally a jazz duo, nothing 'dangerous'...sad....truly sad.

I think the reason you don't get outdoor gigs in the UK during summer is that everyone is on holiday in Spain, le Midi, Majorca, Greece, Turkey or Italy...or here in LA
;)

There are 'open air' gigs out there - we just don't do 'em. Too much rain. Not worth the risk.

Sad about the Holiday Inn circuit. Another regular source of income dried up.

• Members

Holiday Inns don't have entertainment like they did in the '70s and '80s. In fact, the Holiday Inn Express has taken the place of most of the old Holiday Inns, and many of the old HIs, have become some independent hotel. When I was on the Hotel circuit, Raddisons, Hiltons, Quality Inns, Howard Johnsons etc. were included. I watched many of them go from show bands 6 nights a week, to trios on the weekends, to DJ, Karaoke. Some Holiday Inns in resort areas still have entertainment during their season.

April and November have always been the slowest months for me.

Thanks for the info.

I was just curious.

• Members

January and February used to be our worst time, but we were lucky enough to get discovered by a nearby Chinese Restaurant - the Chinese New Year lasts 2 weeks and is sometimes in Jan and sometimes in Feb. They book us every year now for several consecutive nights. And we play some dinner music after the fireworks, take a break when the Traditional Lion and Drum dancers turn up to do their display and then we close the night with a one hour set of 70s/80s/90s 'pop' stuff for them to dance to. They pay well and they feed us at the end.

That has really kept the wolf from the door in those winter months.

Archived