Starting up an acoustic duo act - guitar advice

Brave Ulysses

• Members

Hello, I'm jumping from a band situation to start up an acoustic classic rock duo. I'm thrilled at the prospect of carrying a fraction of the PA, not having to mic up a large drum kit, and playing gigs that end at midnight.

As I transition from electic to acoustic guitar, i'm experiencing discomfort or stiffness in my left hand as i start playing, it eventually goes away. I am playing more now, as I attempt to work on adding new material nightly.

I'm wondering if maybe I should invest in a hybrid guitar. I tried a Taylor T5, and it's a lot easier to play the solos than my yamaha apx7 model acoustic/electric. I'm going to check out the Crafter version this weekend. It seems like a no-brainer to me, but I'm wondering if there's a downside I haven't considered?

• Members

The major downside is that they don't really sound like acoustic guitars. Whether that is important or not is up to you.

My wife and I were out listening to a guy playing some kind of hybrid. She turned and said "what's wrong with his guitar? It sounds terrible"

• Members

Hey there Ulysses, while I know nothing about the hybrid guitar, going from band to duo is a fantastic move that you won't regret. I can imagine having played electric rather than acoustic the transition would be rough on the fretting hand. Even now, I find if I slack off with practice during the week, come weekend, when it's time to play 50+ tunes on the acoustic, the hands aren't very happy by the end of the night. All the best with your new direction!

Luke

• Members

Whilst probably one of the most disparaged of guitars, I just bought an Ovation Custom Elite and couldn't be much happier. The sound unplugged is fine but not spectacular but as its always played in anger plugged in that really is unimportant to me and the plugged in sound is fab. It has the advantages of being a tough beast because of the fiberglass back and whilst beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I have had more audience members compliment me on its looks than any guitar I have ever had. But above all that, I suffer with tendonitis in my fingers and the neck on this is the easiest acoustic to play by some way. I considered the hybrid route and was going to go with the PRS P22 but when I am stood up there playing an acoustic song I want visuals to match the sound.

Cheers Steve

• Members

A 335 style guitar is a nice half step between a solid body electric and an acoustic.

I've seen solos use something along that line or even a Strat. But if real acoustic tone is the goal, gotta start playing one regularly to build up those fingers and hands. Electric guitarists should practice on an acoustic once in a while for the same reason. But finding an acoustic that has the action of an electric would be great. Lighter strings can cause fret buzz and loss of good tone. There's a happy medium (gauge string) that will make playing acoustic enjoyable.

• Members

My only advice is to find a guitar that's easy on your hands and fingers. You do not want to create a physical problem doing something your body objects to. I make it a point to choose guitars and set ups that are easy on my hands. I had a "small" issue a few years ago and want to avoid a repeat at any cost - even if the sound has to suffer a little bit.

• Members

I have an Epiphone Dot, which is essentially a 335. I've used it solo but it really has too much sustain for finger-picking and I'd prefer a flat-top for strumming (if I strummed). Those guitars are solid down the middle, so they're closer to solid than hollow. But a true electric archtop would be just lovely for finger-style playing.

godin5thavenatpucw.jpg

• Members

Brand doesn't matter. Just get it set up with light strings and low action to your liking.

Wood doesn't matter that much IMO based on your stated usage, plywood is just fine or prob better for your purposes.

Pickup system is primary. Get good electronics no matter what. I recc going aftermarket for that, as lower end gits usually have really crappy electronics.

I love my Baggs M1A soundhole. Plenty acoustic sounding, no feedback. Sound ok no matter what you plug it into, be it a PA or acoustic amp.

It will do better than a piezo even into a reg guitar amp of some kind.

Rock n Roll.

• Members

Man up. Get an acoustic made of solid wood, install a pickup system, and set it up well. Acoustic modelers more often than not sound brutal(piezo pickup electrics includes), unless theyre in the hands of someone who REALLY knows how to setup a good PA system/amp for the guitar

• Members

thanks for the advice everyone. i admit, i hadn't thought about a 335 type for this application, although i've always wanted a nice hollowbody electric. i am going after an acoustic like tone, and i've heard some youtube demos of the crafter SAT hybrid that sound pretty good - maybe not 100% acoustic, but in the ball park. i'll widen the scope of my search to include hollowbody electrics, and that godin was something that caught my eye not long ago anyway. thanks again!

• Members

Man up. Get an acoustic made of solid wood, install a pickup system, and set it up well. Acoustic modelers more often than not sound brutal(piezo pickup electrics includes), unless theyre in the hands of someone who REALLY knows how to setup a good PA system/amp for the guitar

+1

• Members

I'm sorry Slim and no offense meant but your post is a little bit out there. Brand does matter. Not to the point where you have to shell out $3k for a guitar but the OP is going to be much better off with a Martin, Taylor, Breedlove or Gibson. "Ick" on the light strings and low action. IMO it's quite the opposite. Go with heavy strings and higher action for play-ability and tone. It's such an electric guitar player route to take with light strings and low action...

All the guitars I mentioned all have superior electronics to an M1A. In order to get those things sounding even reasonable, you're going to have to get a Para DI or something. Even then they don't compare to a Fishman Piezo, the expression system or various other pickups. I've tried every sound hole pickup just about made and IMO they're all junk unless you want a honkey, brittle acoustic sound.

+1

Given the purposes stated by the OP, we'll have to agree to disagree. He's an electric guitar player. He will have to come around to higher action and heavier strings over time. The type music he intends to play will kill him if he jumps right into higher action and med strings.

Its rock and roll, not folk or bluegrass. Solid wood & fancy internal mics, while of course providing the best acoustic tone, also can be boomy and hard to eq and feedback easier.

Sure, get yourself a nice solid wood for totally acoustic playing, set it up accordingly and learn about acoustic tone and enjoy it for a lifetime.

No way Im gonna put skinny strings and lower the action way down on my D28. Heck its never even had a pickup in it in 30 yrs.

And the M1A works fine without the PADI, I have one if I need it, but on the M1A I don't need it.

I use the PADI all the time on the passive system on my upright, mandolin, and banjo. Its a great piece of gear.

• Members

Sure, get yourself a nice solid wood for totally acoustic playing, set it up accordingly and learn about acoustic tone and enjoy it for a lifetime.

No way Im gonna put skinny strings and lower the action way down on my D28. Heck its never even had a pickup in it in 30 yrs.

And the M1A works fine without the PADI, I have one if I need it, but on the M1A I don't need it.

I use the PADI all the time on the passive system on my upright, mandolin, and banjo. Its a great piece of gear.

+1...

• Members

I'll chime in on the T5. A friend of mine has one.

Overall, its a great guitar and I really like it.

Plugged in acoustic tone: Meh. Certainly acceptable but not as good as a comparably priced Taylor acoustic guitar, or a comparable Martin, etc.

Electric tones: Heres where the thing shines IMO. Tons of great sounds in there, from Stratish to 335ish.

The really cool thing: 2 outputs. One to feed to your fav electric guitar amp(my friend uses one of the larger Roland Cubes), the other to send to the PA or acoustic amp(he uses an AC60). With that set up, you got all your basses covered. Its ideal for use with a full band.

• Members

OP, what guitar are you currently using, and other that the physical problems you stated, what do you feel it's lacking for your purposes?

What kind of electronics does it have, anything else in the signal train, and what are you plugging into?

My current acoustic is a Yamaha APX-7A model. I

• Members

I doubt theres much diff between all three(T5,Crafter clone, APX) as far as the ability to set them up with light strings and low action.

Before I spent money on another guitar, I'd see what could be done with the APX to make it play more to my liking.

You will get more sustain out of the mag pickups on the T5 or Crafter Clone, but then your into electric guitar territory and could almost just as well use your LP except for the look.

Both are likley to sound better than the APX tho, esp minus all the processing. Esp the T5, its in a whole nother league. I've never been impressed with the tone of the APXs myself.

Archived