youtube video--looking for critiques

pogo97

• Members

I'm setting up to record a bunch of youtube videos of my own songs and some old stuff, too. This is my second recording (I learned a bunch from the first) and it's getting to where I'd like it visually and sonically, but I'd appreciate some feedback from you folks on the sound and the look so I can continue to improve them. I'm aiming for "appealing" "interesting" "amusing" more than "perfect."

• Moderators

This has that 'white ragtime' feel to it, very late 1910s/early 1920s.
Lyrically, I was hoping for maybe a little cleverness/sly humor/double entendre, but the sentiment is 'era correct'. thumb.gif
There is a certain 'Leon Redbone' quality to this; whether there is a market for it is another story...
I was hoping for maybe a little bit of 'stride' in the break, but, ah well, that's just me, I guess...
Have you considered adding some brass backing when you record this to set the period feel?

can you get the cockatiel to chirp on cue? wink.gif
[my cockatiel used to walk up and down my guitar strap during rehearsals...sometimes a bit distracting when she would hop onto my arm or the guitar neck]

overall, I would like to hear a few more songs cool.gif

• Members

Thanks for the comments and compliments! I'm certainly going to record some more songs. I'm encouraged that neither of you mentioned the sound or the set; that means that they're not getting in the way of the performance. Part of my intention is to figure out a simple, quick setup/teardown set that gives me good sound and an unobtrusive visual setting for performing.

Sorry daddymac, but no stride. Don't have the chops. The double-entendre song will come later ("O Ganananoque," which is a parody of efffusive songs in praise of a town or whatever--lucky for me that Gananoque's official tree is the Pitch Pine, whose Latin name is Pinus Rigidus.)

• Members

Well, hi again.

I've made a few more videos. They're getting better. That is, I'm working out some geometry issues with the camera and the technology is getting in my way less and as a result, I'm more relaxed. As I finish each, I'm posting it to youtube.

My youTube channel is http://www.youtube.com/user/douglasgifford

Again, any comments on the set, my presentation, the sound, whatever are appreciated.

• Members

The music is cool, I'm thinking the next step is visual presentation. It may or may not make a difference in your part of the world but maybe you might want to create or hone an image, dress wise.

Here's a couple of videos of guys that I work with that have "created" their own image. Of course different strokes for different folks, maybe yours could be super casual with a twist, like a Jimmy Buffet look (you've got the bird) or a tuxedo with a baseball cap or whatever - anything suited to your music that makes you stand out.

Two from Kenny http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlbsJ...eature=related

And Billy in a red suit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZVkSbv30kE

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Shaster View Post
The music is cool, I'm thinking the next step is visual presentation. It may or may not make a difference in your part of the world but maybe you might want to create or hone an image, dress wise.

Here's a couple of videos of guys that I work with that have "created" their own image. Of course different strokes for different folks, maybe yours could be super casual with a twist, like a Jimmy Buffet look (you've got the bird) or a tuxedo with a baseball cap or whatever - anything suited to your music that makes you stand out.

Two from Kenny http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlbsJ...eature=related

And Billy in a red suit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZVkSbv30kE
For live (and only once when we performed as a five-piece "Cafe Gananoque") I've worn a very dapper black suit ($7.50 at the Sally Ann), white shirt and bow tie. I looked splendid. But for these videos... don't think so. Keep in mind that I'm doing these between house-jobs and stuff; I don't want to have to dress up special to play. But you're right that I should dress to look at least tidy enough to not offend.

I do agree that the brown plaid shirt looks sucky. Maybe I need to go out and find me some good-quality (plaid) shirts. Salvation Army, here I come.

• Members

Yeah, I agree with Shaster. You need some kind of trademark "look". Something that'll make you stand out in a crowd, vs blending in. Maybe something that reflects the genre of music you do. I think you could have fun with this,,, so let your imagination soar. It's all in the spirit of showmanship. Think "Dr. John" for example wink.gif EVERYBODY remembers what he looks like,,,, but how many people could spot Allan Toussaint in a crowd? Great musician/song-writer btw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS4Ij...eature=related

The Dr;

I dunno Pogo97,,,, maybe something of a period look,,, a black vest, arm-bands, and a bowler hat. Something simple that suggests "fun".

• Members

Hi again on the video parade. This one's guitar and voice, recorded last week. The original sound (mono AT 4033 from in front of and above my head but pointing at the guitar) was fairly awful with a bunch of resonances and honk. (This is because the mic is farther from the sources than ideal and it's picking up a lot of room.) I've imposed some reverb and tweaked it using eq and multi-band compressor. Please let me know if the sound is generally pleasing but doesn't call attention to itself. I want watchers to think "interesting song, interesting performance" rather than "interesting sound." It should sound like an idealized version of what the space looks like.

My next recordings, I'll find a nicer shirt, look at the camera, and smile more.

• Members

Really nice job comping on the guitar. I kind of like this better than the piano tunes, maybe because your facing the camera. Yeah I've done some videos that involved dressing nice, getting the background so it doesn't look like a room on the house, and getting the volume just right for my cheap camcorder. It's more of an ordeal, but a better presentation can be used for promo purposes.

Now I've found that sound quality is much better using the webcam on my computer and running the sound through a board into the computer's sound card. So one of these days I'll have to put up a backdrop, put on a suit and do a few more vids.

Archived