Our Duo got a nice tip last week!

New Trail

• Members

I occasionally play in a duo. We agreed to play four Christmas shows at assisted living homes. I was reluctant to play them because I thought it would be sad, but I agreed to do them and the money was going to be pretty good. After the second show the owner paid us for all four shows, but it was only 75% of the agreed amount. We didn't say anything to him about it and went ahead and played the next two shows like nothing had happened. At the end of the fourth show he came up and paid us again, but this time for the full original contract amount. So, in essence, we got a tip of 75%.

I've been trying to figure out if he (1) Actually forgot what he was supposed to pay us, then remembered and felt bad about it, and paid us more, or (2) paid us short on purpose to see if we would complain about it, and since we didn't complain he paid us more, or (3) just sincerely wanted to pay us more cause he liked us and all of the residents had a good time.

Either way it was a good thing and I'm glad I played the shows even if the money had been just the first check.

BTW & FWIW I would recommend playing Christmas parties at assisted living homes if you get the chance. The folks really appreciate you!

• Members

I'm curious to know why you didn't say anything the first time the owner "shorted" you. I'm also thinking that numbers 1 to 3 don't add up but then neither does number 4 - he forgot he paid you the first time and simply paid you the full amount the second time. But again that seems unlikely.

Reminds me of the time I was playing this club. I got paid in cash Saturday via an envelop. When I counted the money, it seemed like an advance hadn't been deducted (10% of our pay). I couldn't verify that possibility with the person in question so I let it go, figuring I'd deal with it later. After I had figured out all the bar tabs, meal tabs and so on, I was reasonably sure we had been overpaid $500.00. However no one ever said anything about it, and I just let it slide. In no small part because there were so many drugs going in and out of that club, $500.00 was peanuts to them, but rent money to me. In addition, the person that overpaid me (it wasn't the owner) would probably have been fired. Seemed best to just accept the gift from the universe.

Now I suppose if that had been a church or a similar organization I would have returned it.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Shaster View Post
I'm curious to know why you didn't say anything the first time the owner "shorted" you. I'm also thinking that numbers 1 to 3 don't add up but then neither does number 4 - he forgot he paid you the first time and simply paid you the full amount the second time. But again that seems unlikely.

Reminds me of the time I was playing this club. I got paid in cash Saturday via an envelop. When I counted the money, it seemed like an advance hadn't been deducted (10% of our pay). I couldn't verify that possibility with the person in question so I let it go, figuring I'd deal with it later. After I had figured out all the bar tabs, meal tabs and so on, I was reasonably sure we had been overpaid $500.00. However no one ever said anything about it, and I just let it slide. In no small part because there were so many drugs going in and out of that club, $500.00 was peanuts to them, but rent money to me. In addition, the person that overpaid me (it wasn't the owner) would probably have been fired. Seemed best to just accept the gift from the universe.

Now I suppose if that had been a church or a similar organization I would have returned it.
Unless you got the envelope that was meant for another "deal". heh Did ya pack up leave expeditiously that evening?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by daddymack

View Post

did you mention to the entertainment director that he had been extremely generous and thank him for his largesse?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaster

View Post

I'm curious to know why you didn't say anything the first time the owner "shorted" you. .....

The other guy got the gigs so I deferred to him on the handling of the money.

• Members

I'm guessing the facility is corporate owned and they cut a check in advance. Since these type of gigs aren't contracted, you might have to settle for less than the agreed price sometimes. But I think the agreed amount should have at least been brought up. I wouldn't rock the boat because this could become repeat business.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by New Trail View Post
The other guy got the gigs so I deferred to him on the handling of the money.
I would make sure he mentioned/mentions it to the entertainment director because if a mistake was made and he figures it out, you'll never get asked back and you'll get a black eye for any indiscretion, intended or not.

A thank you card with an appreciative note would be appropriate.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Steadfastly

View Post

A thank you card with an appreciative note would be appropriate.

I would think that some musicians would scoff at this idea. Not me- what a great idea! There are not many that would do that and that's an almost guaranteed return date.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Potts

View Post

I would think that some musicians would scoff at this idea. Not me- what a great idea! There are not many that would do that and that's an almost guaranteed return date.

I've seen honesty work so often in my business, I can't count them. Once people realize you're honest and have integrity they want to do business with you because they know your have no intention of ripping them off.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Steadfastly

View Post

I've seen honesty work so often in my business, I can't count them. Once people realize you're honest and have integrity they want to do business with you because they know your have no intention of ripping them off.

Yeah, there's a part of me that thinks the guy was testing us, shorting us the first time, and then overpaying. The other guy in the duo played the same gigs last year and they got paid the regular money with no tip. In the long run it's really the other guy's gig, so I don't intend to do anything about it one way or the other anyway, but it just seemed like an odd situation.

• Members

Believe it or not this happened last night at a private event for a boat club. The woman came up and gave me a portion in a check and the rest cash. She over-paid me by $125. I thought about keeping it and then decided that showing her a little honesty would probably seal the deal regarding any future dates. I told her she grossly over-paid. She thought that I told her a different amount. Her and the other "big guy" seemed floored that I would let them know of this and didn't know how to react. She told me to keep and extra $50 smile.gif

Archived