How long does it take to get settled in on a gig?

chemikool

• Members

When I'm on a gig, typically the first song or two I'm still thinking about the mix, my pitch, is my guitar in tune, is it too loud, not loud enough, etc...the ears start to compress things after 10 or 20 minutes, but those first couple songs always seem like stepping out onto a shaky branch, if you catch my meaning.

How long does it take for ya'll to get settled in on a gig?

My voice and guitar usually require a song or two to get "warmed-up." After 2 or 3 songs I'm usually hitting on most/all cylinders. The first song out though, I'm usually kinda feeling it out.

Typically after an hour or so...my vocal pitch is practically perfect. Not that it isn't on the earlier songs, but my control seems to go up a notch after singing for a bit.

What are your experiences here? Does it take a few songs to "get your sea legs back?"

• Members

I am exactly the way you typed it.
So I pick an easy one for the first tune. One that can vamp on the intro for awhile, few lyrics, few chords.
Tom Petty's "You Got Lucky" is what I usually pick.

After the first tune, balances are either spot on or real close. And the nerves (like if it's a new venue for me, etc.) are gone as soon as I'm choosing the next song.

• Members

Yeah about the same. It's funny though because literally everything on my board is set almost flat before going into the Bose. Its normally good for just about all my gigs. Normally it's the low end that may need a little bit of boost/cut. Its the "verb" I have to keep an eye out for based on the room I'm in.

• Members

Make sure the sound is as good as possible and not loud in the start, tune my guitar, my pitch is way better than most non-musicians anyway, and then I just go out hard and fast!!

Then I just fine-tune as I go, I'm wireless and can walk around and get a good listen, but I make sure to act as if I don't listen to the sound but to engage the audience and working the crowd. Musicians walking around acting like soundmen and not being engangad in the music looks bad.

• Members

Same here, I guess it's the pain of the solo/duo guys with no sound guy up front.

What I do is always, always start with the same 2 songs, they have everthing we need, from lead to harmonies so I can gauge the sound and fine tune the mix. One thing I learrnt over the years is that your audience is the best measuring stick to how you sound; by using the same songs, i have gotten used to how a generic crowd behaves to them, so if no one reacts, for example, i know we are to low, or have a muddy mix, if I get the increased conversation volume during the slower parts of the song, I know we are to loud, etc. you guys know what I mean.

First songs are for settling in and connecting to the audience, from there on...who knows what the hell we are going to do! smile.gif

Rod

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Rock

View Post

I think I'm pretty good about the sound and volume and it amazes me when this one restaurant owner tells me to turn down one night and then says, "you could turn it up a little" another night and my volume is the same both nights.

maybe his hearing aid battery was low

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by chemikool View Post
What are your experiences here? Does it take a few songs to "get your sea legs back?"
I'm a full band guy - but my experiences are identical. It does take a few songs to "get my sea legs back" and settle into the night.

For me - it's getting my ears acclimated to the sound of the room / and the sound of my bandmates. Sometimes that means making tweaks to the band's mix and/or my keyboard rig. Sometimes it simply means playing through it to get used to where the key things I'm listening for can be found in the sonic space.

I'm at my best if I do everything in my power to "hit the ground running". For me, that means taking a look at the set list I plan to play for the night earlier in the day - and spending a few seconds on each tune. I make sure I remember the 1st chord, the basic progression and rhythm groove of my part, the bridge - and any passages that may give me trouble. I'll blast thru each of these components of each tune (usually stoopid fast!) - just to refresh the song is muscle memory. It never ceases to amaze me how there's always one or two tunes (often tunes I've done a million times!) that I have to stop and think about for a second to remember. My "pre-gig" review goes along way in reducing screwups!

I also make sure that I get a good warmup immediately prior to starting. I'll sit on the dark stage - and just play thru headphones for 10-15 minutes shortly before we start. It gets my fingers loose, and gets my head thinking music.

Adrenaline can be a bit of an issue too. For me, it's critical that I start the night with a totally clear head (no drugs and/or miniscule (if any) alcohol) ... once I've settled into the evening, there may be a little wiggle room in this regard.

That's pretty much my routine. I've learned (the hard way!) that I'm at my best if I stick to it.

• Members

While I am not usually nervous for gigs at all, I am typically nervous right as I start - for the first song or two. This is particularly true in a new venue, or a venue where I know sound can be difficult in general. I'm always self conscious for the first few songs, trying to dial my sound in. I don't usually tweak my sound a whole lot.

When I was first playing gigs, I wouldn't be nervous beforehand, but I would sweat profusely during the first song or two! At least that's kind of calmed down now.

After a few songs, things are cool. That being said, if I'm not getting a good response from the audience, the nervous feeling can carry forward until things get warmed up.

• Members

When playing new venues I'll usually walk up to the mic nervously and stutter, "This is my first time playing in front of real people". I'll fiddle with my guitar and prepare them for the worst and then jump into something that I have nailed 110% for laughs. It sets up the first 15 minutes wonderfully. After that tune I'll plaster on a fake smile, introduce myself and inform them that I was kidding. I'll let them know about requests and the type of music they'll hear. It gets a laugh and relaxes people and gets them involved right away. It's also great to watch the reactions if you have it in you to pull it off. Because TRUST ME- people will be staring at you ready for the worst.

Maybe I'm demented. wink.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by daddymack

View Post

no maybe about it wink.gif

I know right? in all seriousness, I think I do this stuff out of boredom. Its the same reason I ended up with a harmonizer, looper, lights and all the other things.

• Members

I'm trying to kill a bunch of birds with this one stone. Hopefully the people in the other thread "Appearance" will look here to see what I wore. I said in that thread I would post something, so here it is. Also, this is the first time that I used my new guitar that I spoke about in the "crushed guitar" thread. I know the tone isn't there in this vid, but I did get it sounding just fine after about an hour.

I video-ed the gig from Saturday night and put the first couple songs up on my youtube channel. I'm hoping this might open up the discussion a little bit about the first few songs of the night.

I was not in the best of moods, nor was I in the best physical shape either. Wednesday was the first time in 5 years that I had gotten sick. I was still dealing with that on this gig. 30 minutes before I started I took 2 dayquil pills and another 2 more about 3 hours later. So I'm fighting that, which any singer will tell you sucks ass.
I don't think this video is the best representation of what I do, so I'll be taking a down after a week or so once enough of "y'all" see it. I'm posting it to foster debate, that is all.

Here it is, comments welcome.
I tried to post the video link, but HC is SOOO SLOW right now that it would never come up...so you'll just have to trust that this is the correct link.

• Members

Equipment used:

Yorkville NX 750p (no processing, gtr and vocal direct right into it)
My new Ovation Guitar (first gig with it)
Mic stand / Microphone (beta58)
Pedalboard (which I could have left...only used it 3x the whole night)
1 XLR cable / 2 1/4' cables
Music stand / lyric book

Load in AND setup was completed in less than 10 minutes (one trip)
Gig was 830-1230; and I got there at 8. Was paid and out the door by 1.
Total time invested: about 6.5 hours. Commute: 45minutes each way. Total money made: $246 (almost $100 in the jar, not a bad night)

• Members

Thanks Potts! And you are absolutely right...I need a tablet so bad it's killing me. From a looks standpoint, from a tool standpoint, and from a cool standpoint; there is no denying how much better a tablet will improve my performances. Soon I'll be making another topic about that. Has that game changed? How much should I spend? What features matter?

Thanks Steve! This guitar has garnered all kinds of attention. I had at least 10 people ask about it. When I bought it, I posted a picture on facebook - within a day it had 75 likes. People are really responding to how this guitar looks. When I bring out the big guns, the only people that are impressed are the other guitar snobs, like me.

• Members

Got to agree I got an elite last summer and no other guitar I've had has brought more admiring comments, plus easy to play and sounds great plugged in. Am totally happy with it.
Re tablet, I don't believe things have moved on much since that megga post on here titled take a tablet and see me in the morning, having gone thru it. I would totally recommend an ipad 2 and either of the two main apps plus a robust mike stand holder
Cheers Steve

• Members

Man...if I had to do it all over again I wouldn't get an Ipad. I'd find a tablet that does the same or more and costs less.

NOTICE: This was not my original sentiment regarding the IPad. I think that they're over-priced and actually too restrictive for what most users (who happen to be PC users) want.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Potts View Post
Man...if I had to do it all over again I wouldn't get an Ipad. I'd find a tablet that does the same or more and costs less.

NOTICE: This was not my original sentiment regarding the IPad. I think that they're over-priced and actually too restrictive for what most users (who happen to be PC users) want.
Just curious ... what do you wish the iPad could do that it doesn't. I was hoping for something a little less expensive than the iPad when I was looking - but after looking at a number of other device and comparing what music related software was available for iOS vs the rest of the pack - the cost premium you pay for an iPad didn't seem so unreasonable.

I understand wishing and wanting more .... but in terms of available choices for music related software - the iPad stuck me as a "slam dunk" decision when I bought mine a few months ago.

• Members

No Problem Space...

First of all I'm not one of those "hate Apple" guys. I love the idea of the IPad, I swear by my Iphone and would buy a Mac if I had the money. After 6 months of this thing I've realized that the only thing I use it for is music and lyrics. I like the idea of browsing the internet with it but it sucks on my eyes and the screen is too small. I LOVE to play games but I get disinterested in all the apps quickly. You can't do any business on it either. As you probably know I'm a college student. I tried to apply it to school and it sucked for note-taking and even online text books. Apparently I'd be better off with a Microsoft Surface or one of those laptop/tablet devices.

I should phrase it this way. If I knew that I wouldn't use my IPad for much more than gigs, I would have went less expensive and went with a different tablet.

• Members

No Problem Space...

First of all I'm not one of those "hate Apple" guys. I love the idea of the IPad, I swear by my Iphone and would buy a Mac if I had the money. After 6 months of this thing I've realized that the only thing I use it for is music and lyrics. I like the idea of browsing the internet with it but it sucks on my eyes and the screen is too small. I LOVE to play games but I get disinterested in all the apps quickly. You can't do any business on it either. As you probably know I'm a college student. I tried to apply it to school and it sucked for note-taking and even online text books. Apparently I'd be better off with a Microsoft Surface or one of those laptop/tablet devices.

I should phrase it this way. If I knew that I wouldn't use my IPad for much more than gigs, I would have went less expensive and went with a different tablet.

• Members

I can understand your sentiments. I guess I went into my iPad purchase knowing that I was purchasing it solely for it's size and portability (recognizing that it wouldn't be suitable for any of the real computer tasks I do). I've long known that I'm very much a real "PC with a keyboard and mouse" kind of guy. (tiny laptop screen?s ... no thanks!, touchpad cursors? ... hate 'em!, laptop "eraser" mouse control? ... you gotta be kidding!). I played with the iPad long enough to recognize that it would NEVER be a replacement for a device with a sizeable monitor and a real keyboard and mouse.

I purchased my iPad primary as a solution for dealing with my charts (using OnSong) ... I've since found it's handy for keeping all the Manuals and User guides for every piece of musical gear I own at my fingertips. (which is a pretty big pile o' stuff when you consider my keyboard rig, my PA and my lights). It's also proven useful for incidental web access at rehearsals and gigs (pulling up YouTube clips for songs we're learning, grabbing crowd requested break music when it's not something that's I have elsewhere, quick and dirty demos of our website, etc.) It's been OK as an ebook reader as well ... although I don't have that much free time to really use it in that capacity.

My biggest frustration with the iPad thus far is that I have yet to find a way to control cursor movement when using the "keyboard" (i.e., "non-descructive" arrow keys that will allow me to place the cursor exactly where I want it without having to touch the screen a few dozen times until I get it exactly where I want it.

As far as "cheaper" goes ... I think my 32GB, WiFi only, iPad 3 was $499. Which wasn't all that much more expensive than any name brand tablet with similar memory available at the time (i.e., Sony, Samsung, etc.) ... there were a couple of off-brand units I saw ... but the screen quality was WAY inferiour to the iPad. Screen quality and software availability made the call a slam-dunk.

When I hear your issues with the iPad - I can't help but feel it's not an "iPad issue" as much as it is an issue that a tablet computer simply isn't a great fit for your wants/needs. Just my 2 cents.

Archived