Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

How long does it take to get settled in on a gig?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Equipment used:

Yorkville NX 750p (no processing, gtr and vocal direct right into it)

My new Ovation Guitar (first gig with it)

Mic stand / Microphone (beta58)

Pedalboard (which I could have left...only used it 3x the whole night)

1 XLR cable / 2 1/4' cables

Music stand / lyric book

Load in AND setup was completed in less than 10 minutes (one trip)

Gig was 830-1230; and I got there at 8. Was paid and out the door by 1.

Total time invested: about 6.5 hours. Commute: 45minutes each way. Total money made: $246 (almost $100 in the jar, not a bad night)
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><div class="bbcode_container">
    <div class="bbcode_quote">
    <div class="quote_container">
    <div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div>

If you don't sing, don't expect to call the shots....<br />
    ---Tele-vania65000<br />
    Life is too short to waste it on douchebags...<br />
    ---BlueStrat<br />
    Sometimes I have this fear... that years from now, being able to play an instrument live will be looked at the same way we look at juggling now... as in &quot;Well, I can see where that is difficult to do, but who cares?<br />
    ---RichardMac<br />
    As a youngster, I was told that money was all that mattered.<br />
    And I didn't believe it.<br />
    ---Rasputin1963

</div>
    </div>
    </div> </div>

Comment

Nice job. We need to work on getting you a tablet though
      <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.justdarrell.com" target="_blank">Just Darrell Web Site</a></div>

Comment

Dam those Ovations look good
        Cheers Steve
        my website http://www.macthehat.com/

Comment

Thanks Potts! And you are absolutely right...I need a tablet so bad it's killing me. From a looks standpoint, from a tool standpoint, and from a cool standpoint; there is no denying how much better a tablet will improve my performances. Soon I'll be making another topic about that. Has that game changed? How much should I spend? What features matter?

Thanks Steve! This guitar has garnered all kinds of attention. I had at least 10 people ask about it. When I bought it, I posted a picture on facebook - within a day it had 75 likes. People are really responding to how this guitar looks. When I bring out the big guns, the only people that are impressed are the other guitar snobs, like me.
          <div class="signaturecontainer"><div class="bbcode_container">
          <div class="bbcode_quote">
          <div class="quote_container">
          <div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div>

If you don't sing, don't expect to call the shots....<br />
          ---Tele-vania65000<br />
          Life is too short to waste it on douchebags...<br />
          ---BlueStrat<br />
          Sometimes I have this fear... that years from now, being able to play an instrument live will be looked at the same way we look at juggling now... as in &quot;Well, I can see where that is difficult to do, but who cares?<br />
          ---RichardMac<br />
          As a youngster, I was told that money was all that mattered.<br />
          And I didn't believe it.<br />
          ---Rasputin1963

</div>
          </div>
          </div> </div>

Comment

Got to agree I got an elite last summer and no other guitar I've had has brought more admiring comments, plus easy to play and sounds great plugged in. Am totally happy with it.

Re tablet, I don't believe things have moved on much since that megga post on here titled take a tablet and see me in the morning, having gone thru it. I would totally recommend an ipad 2 and either of the two main apps plus a robust mike stand holder

Cheers Steve
            Cheers Steve

Comment

Man...if I had to do it all over again I wouldn't get an Ipad. I'd find a tablet that does the same or more and costs less.

NOTICE: This was not my original sentiment regarding the IPad. I think that they're over-priced and actually too restrictive for what most users (who happen to be PC users) want.
              <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.justdarrell.com" target="_blank">Just Darrell Web Site</a></div>

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Potts
                View Post

Man...if I had to do it all over again I wouldn't get an Ipad. I'd find a tablet that does the same or more and costs less.

NOTICE: This was not my original sentiment regarding the IPad. I think that they're over-priced and actually too restrictive for what most users (who happen to be PC users) want.

Just curious ... what do you wish the iPad could do that it doesn't. I was hoping for something a little less expensive than the iPad when I was looking - but after looking at a number of other device and comparing what music related software was available for iOS vs the rest of the pack - the cost premium you pay for an iPad didn't seem so unreasonable.

I understand wishing and wanting more .... but in terms of available choices for music related software - the iPad stuck me as a "slam dunk" decision when I bought mine a few months ago.
                The SpaceNorman

www.facebook.com/SuperstarsOfRock
                www.souldoutrocks.com

Keyboards and Tone Generators: Yamaha CP300, Kronos 88, Roland AX Synth, Motif ES Rack
                Keyboard Rack: Samson SM10 Line Mixer, Motu MIDIExpressXT MIDI Interface, Shure PSM200 IEM system, M-Audio Wireless MIDI, Live Wires IEM ear buds, iPad wOnSong.
                Stage Amplification: Stereo via 2 Yamaha DSR112s

Comment

No Problem Space...

First of all I'm not one of those "hate Apple" guys. I love the idea of the IPad, I swear by my Iphone and would buy a Mac if I had the money. After 6 months of this thing I've realized that the only thing I use it for is music and lyrics. I like the idea of browsing the internet with it but it sucks on my eyes and the screen is too small. I LOVE to play games but I get disinterested in all the apps quickly. You can't do any business on it either. As you probably know I'm a college student. I tried to apply it to school and it sucked for note-taking and even online text books. Apparently I'd be better off with a Microsoft Surface or one of those laptop/tablet devices.

I should phrase it this way. If I knew that I wouldn't use my IPad for much more than gigs, I would have went less expensive and went with a different tablet.

Comment

No Problem Space...

First of all I'm not one of those "hate Apple" guys. I love the idea of the IPad, I swear by my Iphone and would buy a Mac if I had the money. After 6 months of this thing I've realized that the only thing I use it for is music and lyrics. I like the idea of browsing the internet with it but it sucks on my eyes and the screen is too small. I LOVE to play games but I get disinterested in all the apps quickly. You can't do any business on it either. As you probably know I'm a college student. I tried to apply it to school and it sucked for note-taking and even online text books. Apparently I'd be better off with a Microsoft Surface or one of those laptop/tablet devices.

I should phrase it this way. If I knew that I wouldn't use my IPad for much more than gigs, I would have went less expensive and went with a different tablet.

Comment

I can understand your sentiments. I guess I went into my iPad purchase knowing that I was purchasing it solely for it's size and portability (recognizing that it wouldn't be suitable for any of the real computer tasks I do). I've long known that I'm very much a real "PC with a keyboard and mouse" kind of guy. (tiny laptop screen?s ... no thanks!, touchpad cursors? ... hate 'em!, laptop "eraser" mouse control? ... you gotta be kidding!). I played with the iPad long enough to recognize that it would NEVER be a replacement for a device with a sizeable monitor and a real keyboard and mouse.

I purchased my iPad primary as a solution for dealing with my charts (using OnSong) ... I've since found it's handy for keeping all the Manuals and User guides for every piece of musical gear I own at my fingertips. (which is a pretty big pile o' stuff when you consider my keyboard rig, my PA and my lights). It's also proven useful for incidental web access at rehearsals and gigs (pulling up YouTube clips for songs we're learning, grabbing crowd requested break music when it's not something that's I have elsewhere, quick and dirty demos of our website, etc.) It's been OK as an ebook reader as well ... although I don't have that much free time to really use it in that capacity.

My biggest frustration with the iPad thus far is that I have yet to find a way to control cursor movement when using the "keyboard" (i.e., "non-descructive" arrow keys that will allow me to place the cursor exactly where I want it without having to touch the screen a few dozen times until I get it exactly where I want it.

As far as "cheaper" goes ... I think my 32GB, WiFi only, iPad 3 was $499. Which wasn't all that much more expensive than any name brand tablet with similar memory available at the time (i.e., Sony, Samsung, etc.) ... there were a couple of off-brand units I saw ... but the screen quality was WAY inferiour to the iPad. Screen quality and software availability made the call a slam-dunk.

When I hear your issues with the iPad - I can't help but feel it's not an "iPad issue" as much as it is an issue that a tablet computer simply isn't a great fit for your wants/needs. Just my 2 cents.
                      The SpaceNorman

www.facebook.com/SuperstarsOfRock
                      www.souldoutrocks.com

Keyboards and Tone Generators: Yamaha CP300, Kronos 88, Roland AX Synth, Motif ES Rack
                      Keyboard Rack: Samson SM10 Line Mixer, Motu MIDIExpressXT MIDI Interface, Shure PSM200 IEM system, M-Audio Wireless MIDI, Live Wires IEM ear buds, iPad wOnSong.
                      Stage Amplification: Stereo via 2 Yamaha DSR112s

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceNorman
                        View Post

When I hear your issues with the iPad - I can't help but feel it's not an "iPad issue" as much as it is an issue that a tablet computer simply isn't a great fit for your wants/needs. Just my 2 cents.

+1

Comment

Like yourself, I got the ipad essentially to run the onsong app as it wasn't available on any other tablet. I do use it however to browse the web and keep in touch and its fine for that. But, the same week I bought it my wife bought the google nexus tablet and in every respect it beats the ipad hands down. Of course except it doesn't run onsong. I couldn't imagine not using that now either for organising set lists, providing handy reminders of lyrics, chords, capo position, notes, one liners, starting backing tracks, playing other sound files plus more. So if it got stolen, I would get another ipad the next day.

Cheers Steve
                          Cheers Steve

Comment

Working...
                          X