Having a hard time with four hours of play.

Sick boy78

• Members

I'm going it solo now. I've done the duo, which went well, but now the other half has moved away and I have to fill that time frame. We had put enough music together for a 8pm-1am set with each of us doing a small solo thing. But I'm not feeling the 4 plus hour show on my own. I'm not sure how to cover that. Or maybe I'm just not ready?

From what I've heard from bar owners around here is that they LOVE acts that play all night without breaks. I mean, that's like the first thing they talk about! "so and so played for six hours non stop, it was great". But my thought is quality over quantity..

Maybe I'm just not ready to really hit the scene yet? What are your thoughts on a 3 hour set?

• Members

What are your thoughts on a 3 hour set?

I usually only play three hour sets. If they want four the rate goes up accordingly. As far as breaks I will take a ten minute one halfway through a three or four hour gig. The bartenders and the waitresses don't get any breaks so I figure I will keep mine to a minimum.

• Members

3 hour sets are fine you just have to pace them right.

I need some more pacers myself actually (adding more country soon~ most of those male songs are pacers).

I play a few instrumental tunes too......

Some guys hem and haw and BS w/ the crowd most of the night. That works well too~ Showbiz 101 ya know.

I prefer less talking and more playing myself

A four hour 8-12 (or 9-1)  is pretty standard but so is taking the occasional break.

Does the bar owner who sings the praises of the act who plays 6 hours w/out a break ALSO have a wife that meets him at the door w/ a beer, naked, ready to do the deed everynight while watching sports??..... Does she have a sister?

Sick boy78 wrote:

I'm going it solo now. I've done the duo, which went well, but now the other half has moved away and I have to fill that time frame. We had put enough music together for a 8pm-1am set with each of us doing a small solo thing. But I'm not feeling the 4 plus hour show on my own. I'm not sure how to cover that. Or maybe I'm just not ready?

From what I've heard from bar owners around here is that they LOVE acts that play all night without breaks. I mean, that's like the first thing they talk about! "so and so played for six hours non stop, it was great". But my thought is quality over quantity..

Maybe I'm just not ready to really hit the scene yet? What are your thoughts on a 3 hour set?

• Members

"Some guys hem and haw and BS w/ the crowd most of the night. That works well too~ Showbiz 101 ya know."

LOL ,, I play for that guy. But in his defense, he is a great entertainer and can do 8 or 10 shows a week come hell or high water.

• Members

Ahh good! I'm not doing 4!! I've talked with other musicians around here and even the full rock groups are sick of the four hour sets. Especially when you take into what they make here, average solo act is 150-200. And bands are 400 per night at most.

My rate is 150 for 3 hours. 100 if its my first show at a new bar. That's what I'm going with.

Archived