I want you folks to hear this video.

Bobby1Note

• Members

Every now and then, I come across Youtube musicians, who by sheer talent and ability, blow me away. This is a haunting version an old Hank Williams tune, and this guy really makes this song his own. The genius of simplicity, and a style so true to the intent of the song. To me, this embodies the "less is more" approach. Great recording too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_KPG_RDyGk

I hope you enjoy it.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dey View Post
This is a good example of putting one's self into the lyrics and singing with feeling. Kind of like a great actor becoming the character.
Truer words were never spoken. This guy has completely captured the raw essence of the song,,, far better than the original author as far as I'm concerned. This version conjures up a vision of someone who is truly lonesome, and alone with his thoughts. I can almost see the character sitting alone with his guitar, in an empty box-car in an abandoned rail-yard, staring out at the night sky.

As for the reverb, I think it's perfect for this song. He uses it only for the vocal as far as I can tell, and it adds a haunting quality to the lyrics, like a thought floating in space. It's a bit reminiscent of The Mavericks' version of Blue Moon, with Raul Malo doing the lead vocal.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived