Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP! tired of buying new stands every summer!!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can we all be honest here??? I may get purged out of here but... Certain Big Box stores previously mentioned sell mainly to amateurs. Their average customer is just starting out and doesn't know good from better. Therefore they carry amateur tools, for the most part. every 4th product is pro quality,but in some categories they dont even offer gig-worthy products. For that audience..it won't matter. However when you get tired of taking an hour out of your day to return something to these folks. (times 2 or 3 times!!) .you may realize that nothing was really saved. In the end, you had a troublesome gig..maybe some think you look un-pro with that duct tape held-together mic stand...and it just wouldve been better to go with actual serious products from vendors that serve professionals. Think about it,

GtrGeorge

hope I dont get bounced for this.

Comment

We (I) don't don't ban people for their opinions...unless they are presented in such a way as to be offensive. So you are safe for now

Buying cheap gear is, typically, a false economy, as you will wind up replacing it at a higher cost eventually. The plus side is that cheap gear does get you started in the game, and if you are smart and successful, you upgrade as you go along. Did anyone here start out with a Martin Herringbone, a Gibson ES335, a Gretsch Country Gentleman? No, obviously, we start out with low end gear and GAS up as we go. The scenario here is that the OP should be a) buying pro quality gear and b) taking better care of it.
      _"We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminant period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by daddymack
        View Post

... Did anyone here start out with a Martin Herringbone, a Gibson ES335, a Gretsch Country Gentleman?...

I almost started with a 335 (lifeguarding money) but chose instead a Dobro model 66. It's 40 years old now and is still a wonderful wonderful guitar--one of two guitars I own.

Hi Mom!

Comment

does the parakeet guano affect the tone?
          _"We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminant period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Comment

I'm on my 4th pair of speaker stands in the last 10 years. None of them actually fell apart. One pair has slightly bent legs but still works and I bought those used on Ebay. My newest pair are Ultimate and I bought them because there was a half off sale last year.

For mic stands, I liked the altas stands from the '70s. I think the best one I have now is a proline.
            Winner of best guitarist in the house. (my house)!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by daddymack
              View Post

does the parakeet guano affect the tone?

It dries quickly and I either shake it out or use for percussion.

My biggest problem that way is when he leaves a fresh one on a drum head or piano key and I stick my hand into it.
              Hi Mom!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by pogo97
                View Post

My biggest problem that way is when he leaves a fresh one on a drum head or piano key and I stick my hand into it.

May budgie poop be the biggest problem you face in your life. That would be a blessing. Mark C.
                "Good tools are expensive. Cheap tools are damned expensive."

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Miko Man
                  View Post

May budgie poop be the biggest problem you face in your life. That would be a blessing. Mark C.

I am indeed blessed beyond all deserving.
                  Hi Mom!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by pogo97
                    View Post

ah, indeed, my cockatiel occasionally used to roll them across my guitar neck while I was soloing

Comment

How about a headset mic? They're good enough for Brittany Spears and Garth Brooks!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Telecruiser
                        View Post

Take care of your gear. Even quality gear will have a shortened life being tossed around.

Right on. The fellas I gig with who have busted up stands and crappy cables are the ones whose cable bags are full of spaghetti and who tighten the **************** out of their boom mic's and don't bother to loosen them before adjusting them, and wonder why the damn things tip over when the boom is extended horizontally as far as it will go. I know; that's a run on sentence. Same guys who show up fifteen minutes before a gig and can't get it together in time. Even if it's the cheap gear, it's often not the gear.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by GtrGeorge!
                          View Post

Certain Big Box stores previously mentioned sell mainly to amateurs. Their average customer is just starting out and doesn't know good from better. Therefore they carry amateur tools, for the most part.

Yeah, I'm just going to have to go ahead and disagree with you. Sam ash and guitar center certainly do sell stuff to hobbyists. But it's not like that disqualifies them. They have 99% of what I'd buy online anyway and price match. Maybe I feel like your post incriminates me as an amateur because of where I buy my guitar strings. I might be little sensitive.

Gc or S.A. were more than happy to order the stand I wanted. They just don't stock it.
                          <div class="signaturecontainer"><b><div align="center"><font size="4">This space intentionally left blank</font></div></b></div>

Comment

Working...
                          X